UI question

Moderator: Littlabit

Glauri
Whee!

UI question

Post by Glauri »

So, what if I create a chat box in EQ...and label it "Others". I have all spells cast by others in this window, all pet info, all the stuff that I don't care about goes here. Okay?

Now, what if instead of minimizing that window so that I don't see all that stuff, I actually close the window. Will the info I am trying to avoid seeing go to some other window and I'll be forced to look at it again? Or will it all be really gone??

Another question: is there some way to display ALL the chat boxes that I've created, including those that I may have closed?
Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
Glauri
Farrens
Whee!

Re: UI question

Post by Farrens »

In ye Olde days closing the chat box would send anything filtered to it back to the master chat. Not sure if any recent changes altered that.
Glauri
Whee!

Post by Glauri »

Farrens wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:00 pm
In ye Olde days closing the chat box would send anything filtered to it back to the master chat. Not sure if any recent changes altered that.
That is what I am afraid will happen. I may have tried this in the past, closing chat windows, and I also wonder if those windows are still floating around in the twilight zone somewhere even now!

The reason I ask is because for the past month or so, I suffer terrific lag during any of our raid events -- from +60fps down to 4-12fps. Only during events. As soon as the fight is over, the lag disappears. I am trying to track down what is causing the issue, and thought that perhaps all those lines of text (others spells, melee hits, etc.) that I have going to that one chat box might be the issue. If I try to open that box during an event, everything freezes -- EQ, not-EQ, everything. Very frustrating!
Glauri
Mattmarr
Whee!

Post by Mattmarr »

So "Closing" a chat box = deleting it, so they definitely aren't floating around, but you could have one small / minimized / transparent. If your computer isn't great and/or you have settings too high + all spell lines coming in, it's definitely possible that that's causing your lag. I would recommend starting with turning spells and combat filters back to "only you" and see if that fixes it. If nothing else, it'll eliminate one thing.
Glauri
Whee!

Post by Glauri »

I have my spells going to one chat box, and everyone else's spells and melee stuff going to another -- and that one is minimized so that I don't have to look at those zillion lines of text streaming by with info that I don't need. I do have logs on, but I need that for GINA to function.

The computer is using an i7-6700K cpu with 16GB of RAM, Win7 Pro 64-bit OS, a 1TB SSD and running a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 video card. It shouldn't be having this issue, and only started having this problem 4-6 weeks ago. No problems anywhere but in EQ during raids.
Glauri
Farrens
Whee!

Post by Farrens »

Certain event seem to have this issue. GMM dragon sometimes lags for me during for example.
Mattmarr
Whee!

Post by Mattmarr »

Glauri wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:25 am
I have my spells going to one chat box, and everyone else's spells and melee stuff going to another -- and that one is minimized so that I don't have to look at those zillion lines of text streaming by with info that I don't need. I do have logs on, but I need that for GINA to function.

The computer is using an i7-6700K cpu with 16GB of RAM, Win7 Pro 64-bit OS, a 1TB SSD and running a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 video card. It shouldn't be having this issue, and only started having this problem 4-6 weeks ago. No problems anywhere but in EQ during raids.
Not the best graphics card (good enough for EQ), but the rest of that is more than fine. Have you changed your .ini file to use all of your CPU cores? I'm aware of where you have your text going to, i was more saying it might be worth trying turning your filters back on to "only you" (in settings -> filter) to see if that was the issue. If you don't want to try that, I can try to think of something else for you to try. What's your ping during these events?
Glauri
Whee!

Post by Glauri »

Capture4.png
Capture4.png (104.39 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
My ping is around 70-80ms, which is normal for me.

I did find that some of the filtered messages that I don't want to see were actually trying to go to two different chat boxes. I think that I fixed that. Maybe that will make a difference?
Glauri
Tandt
Fallen Jedi

Post by Tandt »

looking at your CPU Usage, you need to go into your eqclient and either add or update the following entry to this.

CPUAffinity0=-1
CPUAffinity1=-1
CPUAffinity2=-1
CPUAffinity3=-1
CPUAffinity4=-1

each cpuaffinity is for a instance of EQ running.

If you only run 1, then you only need this: CPUAffinity0=-1

Notice that they all have a NEGATIVE 1

That tells EQ it can use all cores on the processor, which yours is not..
Tandt Dmight
115 Warrior
:rr:
Its not big hair, Its my Helmet!

Boss mobs dont kill people, Clerics kill people!!
Glauri
Whee!

Post by Glauri »

Thank you Matt for the suggestions and information! And thanks Tandt for the CPUAffinity info. That is not at all what I had. I guess tomorrow evening will be the test, eh? :)

Query: An eight core processor, and I only have five lines setting CPUAffinity? Is that correct? Actually, since I run just the one instance of EQ I simply need the first line, "CPUAffinity0=-1", correct?
Glauri
Mattmarr
Whee!

Post by Mattmarr »

Mattmarr wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:16 am
Have you changed your .ini file to use all of your CPU cores?
Glauri wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:37 am
Thank you Matt for the suggestions and information! And thanks Tandt for the CPUAffinity info. That is not at all what I had. I guess tomorrow evening will be the test, eh? :)

Query: An eight core processor, and I only have five lines setting CPUAffinity? Is that correct? Actually, since I run just the one instance of EQ I simply need the first line, "CPUAffinity0=-1", correct?
That's correct (and this was also the advice I was going to give you! Tandt was too quick!). 0 = your first instance of the game, so you should be good!
Tandt
Fallen Jedi

Post by Tandt »

yes each line is for each instance of everquest running.. the CPUAffinity0=-1 means your first instance of eq can use all 8 cores.

PS: that graphics card is way overkill for eq. its a fast card, it just will not run Direct X 12. EQ runs on DX9.. Your good.
Tandt Dmight
115 Warrior
:rr:
Its not big hair, Its my Helmet!

Boss mobs dont kill people, Clerics kill people!!
Tarvas
Whee!

Post by Tarvas »

Find your trash chat box and manually minimize (don't use the auto-minimize). That helped me when I was still fighting the mob after loot was done.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Glauri
Whee!

Post by Glauri »

Many thanks to you all for the help and suggestions!! I await tomorrow's raid to see how this all works out! :)
Glauri
Skecpa
Whee!

Post by Skecpa »

Since you don't parse, there's really no reason to be having the other's stuff going anywhere. Also, check your journal (alt+j I think?) if that's on it can also cause massive raid lag. The addition of hiding all players can also change your lag too, everyone will be floating weapons! They're still targetable.
Glauri
Whee!

Post by Glauri »

Skecpa wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:56 pm
Since you don't parse, there's really no reason to be having the other's stuff going anywhere. Also, check your journal (alt+j I think?) if that's on it can also cause massive raid lag. The addition of hiding all players can also change your lag too, everyone will be floating weapons! They're still targetable.
I was under the impression that if I didn't direct "Others' spells", "Pet spells", etc. somewhere, they would all show up in my main chat box. Is that incorrect?
Glauri
Rashod
Whee!

Post by Rashod »

Glauri wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:20 am
Skecpa wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:56 pm
I was under the impression that if I didn't direct "Others' spells", "Pet spells", etc. somewhere, they would all show up in my main chat box. Is that incorrect?
No, you can completely filter them out. I find it easiest to go into options and set the filters there.
Glauri
Whee!

Post by Glauri »

Rashod, I had completely forgotten about that!! Many thanks!!
Glauri