Grouping...Just a suggestion

Moderator: Littlabit

grothicus
Whee!

Grouping...Just a suggestion

Post by grothicus » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:45 pm

I know that I am still a "noob" after a gazillion years of not playing, but I have this suggestion for the guild and groups....
Back in the day (I seem to always preface everything from then), clerics could pick and choose what groups we could attend. We were needed. I was discussing with Skecpa-f about this. It seems that I could be LFG in the GL for days if it wasn't for the merc toons. Which as you all know changed the dynamics of the game. Having said that....it puts to question the following...Are clerics needed at all anymore (Don't know about raids, have not done one yet). I watched Skecpa-f go around and around the sarnak fort in FM....watched the healing spells from his healing merc...and all I can say is WOW. He also said he dies sometimes even with the healing merc, so I non-challantly said, a healing merc and a cleric = no deaths. So please douse the torches and untie the nooses, and unload the bows...it is only a suggestion....

Rashod
Whee!

Re: Grouping...Just a suggestion

Post by Rashod » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:00 pm

grothicus wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:45 pm
I know that I am still a "noob" after a gazillion years of not playing, but I have this suggestion for the guild and groups....
Back in the day (I seem to always preface everything from then), clerics could pick and choose what groups we could attend. We were needed. I was discussing with Skecpa-f about this. It seems that I could be LFG in the GL for days if it wasn't for the merc toons. Which as you all know changed the dynamics of the game. Having said that....it puts to question the following...Are clerics needed at all anymore (Don't know about raids, have not done one yet). I watched Skecpa-f go around and around the sarnak fort in FM....watched the healing spells from his healing merc...and all I can say is WOW. He also said he dies sometimes even with the healing merc, so I non-challantly said, a healing merc and a cleric = no deaths. So please douse the torches and untie the nooses, and unload the bows...it is only a suggestion....
Yes clerics are "needed." For raids they are a must. For groups they are a luxury, a real cleric out heals a merc 10:1 and for the most part will be better than a merc unless they really really suck or are AFK (mercs don't go AFK but they do run off and do stupid stuff!).

Some content can't really be done with mercs because they just don't know how to deal with AEs and such.

For what it is worth, FM fort is very outdated content and he has abilities to just plow them over (assassinate should be nerfed). Skecpa is a topish notch player and things probably seem very easy following him around in three year old content that he has special powers over :wink:

Mattmarr
Whee!

Post by Mattmarr » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:29 pm

Clerics are very much needed and almost always preferred over mercs. FM is from the Empire of Kunark Expansion which is 2 expansions old and before we had Level 110. Very easy content now, especially for talented players like Skecpa.

grothicus
Whee!

Post by grothicus » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:31 am

OK, thank you very much, as I said, it was just an observation.

Rashod
Whee!

Post by Rashod » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:52 am

grothicus wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:31 am
OK, thank you very much, as I said, it was just an observation.
With all that said, if your not enjoying the class all well played classes are good for raiding and grouping.

If you do enjoy the class though it is definately one of the most powerful and most desired for both raiding and grouping.

grothicus
Whee!

Post by grothicus » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:21 am

Oh I enjoy this class very much...I also enjoy BLs and Necros, and walks on the beach and joking around with friends.... With that being said...I also am one of those people who triesd to be helpful and giving and nice and fair and a bit grouchy in the morning before having a few cups of coffee...other than that...I love applying bandaids, and mecuracrome to boo-boos...and buffing the fighters ….and giving that awful celestial regen and cure to those who get poisoned, diseased, and whatnot....
And going to the lower level content (which is all new to me) to get a drizzles of experience....

Rikyu
Whee!

Post by Rikyu » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:27 am

Clerics are still and integral part of the game. However, over the years (from when you last played), the introduction of mercs made certain classes played by a real person less sought after for groups, unfortunately I think people figured it was easier and faster to pop a merc rather than actually finding a live person to fill the spot.

I face the same problem as you. I can spend all day asking/LF a group and many, many times without success; leading one to think clerics are only wanted for raiding purposes only (since raids couldn't survive without us...........hehe). It sucks and it has driven me to stop playing EQ at times. But don't give up. There are some people who understand how important you are and that you can outdo a merc at healing any day of the week. Just be patient and take advantage of any opportunities where a healer is needed.

Qmaus
Whee!

Post by Qmaus » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:38 pm

Well, as you already know, I'll take you in a group over a healer merc anytime, Groth. Everyone here is right, healer mercs are there because our options are limited. But as you've already seen, when you join my SK/Rogue, we kick ass together in places where we can't have mercs at all. And when we can have mercs, we're just adding more dps, which works out much better than having a healer merc. I'm totally stoked to have a real cleric grouped with me, mercs or no mercs. A cleric merc is helpful, but no way it replaces a real cleric.