A Cleric's Day

Moderator: Littlabit

Eamile

A Cleric's Day

Post by Eamile » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:28 pm

A CLERIC’S DAY

The morning comes too soon.

It was another bad night, tortured by the haunted screams and the vivid images of the previous day. My heart is tired, but I must not falter. I met my comrades on the field. Still and quiet. Only the crickets give evidence of life beyond our keep. Today will be another rough day. I bolster my faith, surrounding myself with it like a piece of impregnable armor. I know that many will go out to meet their deaths and only a few will return. For all our sakes, I must put that aside and mourn later. For now it is war. I am needed to give heart, faith and healing to my comrades. If I must, I will help as well. Not that someone like me could do much. I pray to Tunare for strength and guidance.

All communications are in and the report is not good. Our scouts have given us a target. An army of orcs are controlling the southern path letting us know that we shall not pass. Our troops are ready to move out. I only pray that everyone will return. I look at the faces of those with me, those in my group and those beyond, they are anxious. They know the risks and yet the shouts of glory and victory drive them like a cruel master. They look to me for comfort and to keep them going. I hope I do not fail them.

We reach the gate, but the enemy is nowhere to be seen. The stink is fresh. Do we venture forth or stay behind where it is safe? Our orders are clear, we must continue forward. We must keep them from penning between our keep and their forces. Group by group we venture forward along the path.

A flash of light and some music. I can’t move. The brutishness of our foes keeps me rooted in place. All around me I hear the screams of agony mixed with their terrible howls of victory. The orcs have surrounded us, cutting off our escape route. I see my friends and fellow fighters going down one by one under the merciless swords of the orcs. I am helpless. I see them looking to me for help and it breaks my heart. How cruel this enemy is, to leave me with sight and hearing, yet deprive me of movement.

I feel my hands start to glow. I begin the motions, healing as I can, trying to heal those around me that are still standing. I once again summon my faith to provide a bunker for those left as I race to save those who may yet be living. Frantically, I race against time to save one then another hoping I can stay strong. Our enemies, those that threaten my homeland, are strong. I am not sure how much longer I can hold out. I can feel the energy draining away.

Behind me I hear the sound of fresh troops bearing down on us and I send a hurried prayer of thanks to Tunare. Re-enforcements have arrived. Somewhere inside me, I find the power to continue healing and bolstering as much as I can. I watch as our enemies slowly fall beneath our forces until there are none left. Gratefully, I regroup. Looking around, I see that most of us still live. Able to return to our keep victorious.

There are celebrations, joyful reunions and tales to be told. I hang back. Today we were lucky; tomorrow we will face death again. How can we hold out? I don’t know, but I cannot give up the faith.

It is my calling.
My vocation.

I am a cleric.

grothicus
Whee!

Re: A Cleric's Day

Post by grothicus » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:47 pm

A New Beginning

By the Light of Mithanial Marr I am struck with the unquenchable urge to write the last few weeks down on this parchment provided by the church
scribes and pages. The images flash through my mind, and the sounds, smells, touches rush around my head as I dip the quill and touch it to the parchment.
It started one day. I had finished my studies and made a few items for the dwarves in Kaladim. After spending days roaming the Skyfire Mountains with an Iksar Necromancer felling many wurms, and other denizens of those mountains, we set up camp and there was a brilliant flash of light, the sounds of explosions and screams of nightmarish creatures, shadows of those that laid slain on all the battlefields I have witnessed, the smell of blood strong in the air.
I see a tunnel of light...filled with all possible colors and some impossible....In the tunnel is a large shadowy creature...I try to grab my hammer called affectionately....Hammer of Zek. I find that I cannot feel my hands, and cannot move my arms. I feel where the hammer should be at my side on belt where I have pulled it many times. The shadow creature starts to take a recognizable shape....It is draconic in nature...With wingspan many times the height of a man. Smoke and shadow blend and slowly climb off the creature as if in a weak wind. The eyes...the eyes...Flames of red with the center as black as the darkest, moonless night. WHen the creature looked at me, my soul seemed to shrink and recoil....I silently whispered a prayer to Mithanial Marr...I find the familiar connection strained, weaker, as if something catastrophic has happened. The creature's head leans down and speaks...the voice raking my soul. Turning every thought I had ever had, everything I had ever spoken running through my mind. The faces, the faces of every living, ,and not so living, creature I had ever killed or been involved in killing. Their screams, shrieks, moans and groans and howls of agony affecting me as strong now as it did then.
The creature points a massive clawat me and motions towards me...
"Grothicus...I have watched your ascention. For a human your steadfast faith has impressed me. I watched the breaking of the barriers and the invasion of dark forces run over Norrath.", the voice seems to rumble as if a passing thunder rolled over my soul.
I try to speak, I feel my thought form the words, I try to shape my mouth to speak and feel as if I was frozen in ice.
The voice continues, "The time has come for you to make THE CHOICE. Look into my eyes. In one is a greater path that few will follow. It is fraught with more peril, dangers, and very little reward. But you will be returned to Norrath with more power, and skills. Be able to go to other places formerly denied you. The other path...leads to oblivion. Total onesness with the one I serve.
I try fervently to speak, to utter one sound. Nothing....I try to close my eyes, as I usually did each morning when I awoke to form that bond with Mithanial Marr. I feel the connection, I use my mind to follow the threads of that connection...I feel more than see the darkness which surrounds a small world. Bright flashes of light seeming to blink randomly all over the surface of that world. I sense tiny balls of blue lights flowing, blinking, and racing around that world. As each light glows brightly I see the darkness pushed a little farther back. Then I sense the tiny balls go out and the darkness closes the distance to the world. I try toi sense the size of the darkness and my mind struggles to comprehend the size, shape. My mind expands again to encompass the dark shadows surrounded by shifting, incorporeal beings poking, slashing, at the darkness. I finally understand. It is the balance of the universe. The darkness being all that is evil, bad, and the shadowy shapes are the forces of good. The tiny balls of light are the acts of good being done. The darkness trying to overwhelm the good. My mind recoils...turns to rage and hatred of evil.
With every ounce of my power I try to utter a single word...LIFE....
The shadowy creature spins its eyes and a bright flash light illuminates me and I find myself flying towards the world. I see the lands of Antonica rushing towards me. All I remember is waking up as I used to do. I walked towards the window and looked down in to the courtyard in the Halls of Truth in West Freeport, on the continent of Antonica, on the world of Norrath, wathcing the scribes, priests, paladins, walking to and fro on their way to do what ever it is that they are doing.
I wash my face and start getting dressed in what I thought was my usual armor. As I put on the armor I felt strange sensations, my senses more attuned to the world. I felt more and more power flow into my body. I feel stronger, wiser, smarter, things that I had struggled with in my other life seemed trivial to me now.
I find things have changed since that time in Skyfire Mountains. New places had been discovered, new creatures, more powerful, more cunning, dangerous...but more importantly, more evil. I see that my trusty hammer had been replaced by this rod. I strike it on a small wooden table...the table shatters as if hit with a large dwarvish war hammer. My new powers are astonishing. I see in my new backpacks are loaded with stuff. I see the symbols of mounts. Then knowledge seems to pour into my mind. I see a book which I just know will take me to a place that I know as well as I know my own hand...the Plane of Knowledge. I tap the book and instantly find myself in familiar but different place. The people look the same, but also different. I go to a banker and take stock of the items they seem to magically pull from somewhere. I see in the bottom of a bag...the tip that looks like a water sprinkler but has been so useful....before.
I immediately place it in my backpacks.
I go outside and see some shady characters standing around. One comes up to me and motions me aside.
Excuse me, you look like someone who can use a friend. My name is tairuru. I am a mercenar. A warrior to be precise. I protect my employers from the ravages of the world.
This mercenary, Vah Shirr. I remember from before how honorable this race from Lucilin was from before.
I look him over and tell him sure. We go off to Feerott where this new friends says some of his fellow mercenaries were in trouble. So off we go to Feerott...

After finding out that there is a new Mansion in Feerott that is in trouble. So I spend my time with new friends, a necromancer named Streggulous, a Beastlord (a friend of Tairuru's) named Streggbeast (I cannot pronounce his Vah Shiir name) and either a druid named Teledruid (I cannot pronounce his Wood Elf name) and a barbarian shaman named Streggham (His barbarian name gives my stomach aches when I try to pronounce his fight-name)
We explore this new world in which I find myself. But never far from my mind is the encroaching darkness surrounding the world. I try and believe that I am one of the bright lights chasing back the darkness.
With every fight, I feel the connection between Mithanial Marr and my mind grow ever stronger....
To be continued.....