Bard Quick Time / Spell Gems Lockout

Moderator: Littlabit

Tarvas
Whee!

Bard Quick Time / Spell Gems Lockout

Post by Tarvas »

Fixed Internally Spell gem lockup not fixed
niente, post: 3992694, member: 434160 wrote:This should be fixed - please test on the Test server next week.

There seems to be a misunderstanding about how bugs get fixed and prioiritized - they need to be scheduled before we work on them (we can't just pick them up as they come up on the forums). This bug was worked on twice. The first attempt, we didn't have good reproduction steps, however, the first fix attempt resulted in positive changes for the game that fixed a different spell lockout issue and made multibinding AA and combat abilities on all classes much more performant. We did get good reproduction steps from this video which let us identify and correct the problem (I just merged the threads). We are very grateful.

The reason this was broken is because the zone and client don't always agree on what buffs the character has. The server and client run their own separate 6 second tick. The zone is more likely to be slow and periodically goes out of sync with the client. When you lose a buff, the zone tells you it's finished, and then lets your client play out a sub-6 second period of the spell. Many EQ players know what this experience is like - when you have SoW and it has a few seconds left, but you start running a lot slower. This is the same problem.

If you begin casting a spell when Quick Time fades (after you get the message "You slow down.", but before the buff disappears), the client thinks you no longer have Quick Time, and the spell is not hastened. The spellbar can become locked out if a spell hastened by Quick Time becomes instant. Instant cast spells are not handled the same way as regular spells. Because the spell on the client was not instant, but the zone thought it was, the zone is not clearing out spell data stored on your character - your client is waiting for the spell data to be cleared, and that's why your spells are grayed out.

If you have the skill, knowledge, and work ethic for problems like these, EQ is hiring https://www.daybreakgames.com/careers.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Re: Bard Quick Time / Spell Gems Lockout

Post by Goofydoofy »

Oh snap! That explains so damn much about how the game lags. Great info. I wish I had the time to learn how to fix that. Sounds like what I did 40 years ago as a kid before computers were common place.
Level 115 Druid, Level 115 Enchanter, Level 115 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server
Amotto
Whee!

Post by Amotto »

Good info.. this has been a huge problem clicking epic on raids. Often, I click and have to wait ridiculous amounts of time for my songs to cool down in order to start melody again. I hate how clicking epic interrupts melody.
Derdarr
Whee!

Post by Derdarr »

This won't change epic click unless they make it instant cast. Two ways to click epic: stop casting then click or watch spell cast bar and time epic click to be after spell cast is at least 50 percent over.
Rashod
Whee!

Post by Rashod »

Derdarr wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:35 pm This won't change epic click unless they make it instant cast. Two ways to click epic: stop casting then click or watch spell cast bar and time epic click to be after spell cast is at least 50 percent over.
Just make a button

Stopcast
Use epic
Start cast
Derdarr
Whee!

Post by Derdarr »

Doing that restarts my melody, timing epic to near end of spell cast bar just interrupts and melody continues.
Rashod
Whee!

Post by Rashod »

Derdarr wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:59 pm Doing that restarts my melody, timing epic to near end of spell cast bar just interrupts and melody continues.
Yah okay that makes sense, bards are so odd.
Derdarr
Whee!

Post by Derdarr »

We are ;)
Tarvas
Whee!

Post by Tarvas »

So if you are like me, you may be slamming keys 100 times a second and looking at a bunch of different things at once which means you can miss the fact that your spell bar is locked out because well it should always be greyed out to begin with. My fix for this now that I have read over that thread is to add two more audio triggers to my set.

The first: "You speed up to match the beat of the music". This will let me know that QT is going.
The second: "You slow down". This should let me know to look at my spell spam for a few seconds to see if I am locked out and to cast Entrap if I am.

I probably should have done this sooner, but better late than never I guess.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Derdarr
Whee!

Post by Derdarr »

I'm hoping this time actually fixes it .
Derdarr
Whee!

Post by Derdarr »

o AND JUST TO CONFUSE EVERYONE, I lied timing to hit epic at less than halfway of spell cast still requires starting melody over.. i guess my brain just pretended to forget that. But you dont have to stop your melody.
Fnord
Whee!

Post by Fnord »

Synchronizing threads running under a context you fully control is painful enough. Trying to do it between two separate processes on two separate pieces of machinery on a 25 year old codebase makes me want to whimper and go fetal.