Minecraft - Ommina Server

Moderator: Littlabit

Turlo Lomon
Whee!

Minecraft - Ommina Server

Postby Turlo Lomon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:17 pm

After we basically broke the game... here are some ideas.

Better Looking

* Realistic World Generation - I've played with this and it creates some amazing landscapes.
MAKE SURE TO CHANGE CONFIGS - Defaults are REALLY low for villages, caves, etc.
* Better Foliage - It really looks nice. Shouldn't make any impact server side.
* Better Agriculture - Breeding types of cows, chickens, etc. Interesting.
* Fence OVerhaul - Minor changes - allows diagnal. Good looking.

Give Food a Purpose

* The Spice of Life - Diminishing returns on eating - will give a reason for all the food variety we have and encourage diverse recipes.
* Health and Hunger Tweaks - Manages food, but prevents regen. Adds health kits.
* Food Details - Shows hunger and saturation.

Consider for Addition

* Daedalus' Labyrinth - New dimension
* Modular Systems - new multiblocks. May be interesting.

Removals

* Better Bedrock Generation - This mod causes issues with any mod that interacts with Bedrock for ore production. There are several mods that may eventually convert over to 1.10.2 that we should be prepared for.
* Refined Storage - It is AE in easy mode. Eliminate it, as it just duplicated AE.
* Simple Dimensions - serves no purpose in our game.
* Simple Retrogen - serves no purpose in our game.
* Simple Covers - Redundant to Chisel & Bits, and a lot more limited.
* Substratum - Yet more ore? Don't we have enough as it is? This is making everything easier.

Possible Removal

* MmmMmmMmmMmm - Parsing dummy. Do we even need it? Is anyone using it?
* Server Tick Monitor - Can only add item via creative. Do we want it? Is command useful?
* Advanced Rocketry is REALLY complicated. Do we want it? I tried using it, but it requires a lot of work.
* Agricultural Expansion - Really unbalanced.
* AutoPackager - Anyone use this? There is more sophisticated ways of doing it.
* Calculator - Anyone use it? It's... odd. A mathematical equivalent exchange.
* Minecraft Flight Simulator - Do we want to keep? Maybe replace with Davincis Vessels?
* EZStorage2 - Anyone use this? I think we all went in different directions.

And a big one...

Do we want to completely remove RF Tools, at least the dimensions part? These creates some gamebreaking exploints.

Ommina
Whee!

Re: Minecraft - Ommina Server

Postby Ommina » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:58 pm

In no particular order, because I'm not that organized:

The last time I used Spice of Life, it just annoyed me. It's a great idea, but I was never able to get beyond the annoyance of having to drag around multiple foods. Inventory space is always at a premium, and using multiple slots for food got on my nerves. Still, if it can be tamed a bit, I'd be ok with it.

I'd be ok with both Daedalus' Labyrinth and Modular Systems.

Removals:

* Simply Covers: I agree.
* Refined Storage: I'm indifferent. I won't use it. If nobody else wants it, we can pull it.
* Simply Dimensions: I agree.
* Simple Retrogen: I'm hesitant. Can remove it, but may need to be returned later, depending on requirements.
* Better Bedrock: Do you have some examples? The only mod of which I'm aware the depends on bedrock is Reika's Rotarycraft. What mods are there that depend on spikey bedrock?
* Substratum: Nope. I use it as a central point for all the ore generation I'm able, while turning off the mod's own ore generator. You're not getting any extra ores here. Its collection of tools, gears, plates and the like could probably be turned off though.

* MmmMmmMmmMmm: Yeah, I agree.
* While the Server Tick Monitor is craftable, I'm happy enough to use the command line provided by sampler.
* The functionality of EZStorage is wholly captured by Modular Systems. If MS is going to be included, EZ would be superfluous.
* Minecraft Flight Simulator: up to Tandt.
* Calculator: I use it. I like it. And it is odd.
* AutoPackager: I don't.
* Advanced Rocketry: Ugh. This one I WANT to go through, just... never did.
* And... Agricultural Expansion. Sigh. It was a mistake, particularly in its current form. I have plans here.
* RFTools Dimensions: I'm OK with removing it. Or keeping it. Perhaps the cost could be increased.

--

My nominations for removal:

* AutoSapling
* One of the backpack mods
* Charset
* Chest Transporter
* Elevator Mod (the 'wool around an EP' version)
* Inductive Automation
* Integrated Dynamics
* Soul Shards

--

And... and... maybe disable the digital miner.

Turlo Lomon
Whee!

Postby Turlo Lomon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:13 am

Discussion

* The Spice of Life - Mmm. Valid point. That can be annoying. Do we want to consider simplying food entirely? (Remove Pam's Harvestcraft and Cooking for blockheads?) - Actually, keep cooking for blockheads no matter what. I love the kitchen appliances.
* Simple Retrogen - Each mod that has world gen typically has a retrogen option. Simple Retrogen is for tracking which chunks have been retrogenned for a particuliar mod in the past. It seems pointless to use to me. No objection if we ever have an actual use for it, though. Just throwing out ideas.
* Better Bedrock - Rotary craft is the only one I can think of. The other one I thought was actually just a name, not actual bedrock.
* Substratum - Valid point. Nice way to centralize it. I didn't realize that is what you did.
* Advanced Rocketry - Maybe keep it in. It would definitely be a challenge if we ever got it to work.
* Agricultural Expansion - Really? The entire mod is for farming resources. Once farmable, it can be automated. Once automated, infinite resources.
* RFTools Dimension - Increase power all you want, and it just raises the bar to infinite resources. Once that bar is obtained, it is easy enough to continue using it. Drop a miner and chunk loader, and funnel it back to your base.
* RFTools Controls - basically replaced by OpenComputers.
* AutoSapling doesn't annoy me, but at the same time, no added benefit.
* Backpacks - Keep the hobbitbags one? (At work, so not sure on name). Unless you prefer the other? Mmm. See which one you like recipes on better.
* Charset - I was wondering about that. I couldn't even figure out what it was supposed to do and thought you had a reason to include it in the first place.
* Chest Transporter - Alternative? This is a very useful, non-game-breaking item.
* Elevator Mod - Ahhh. I like those elevators. Perhaps a compromise? Change the recipe up?
* Inductive Automation - ditch it. No added benefit.
* Integrated Dynamics - ditch it. No added benefit.
* Soul Shards - Yah, ditch it. Not really that interesting.

Disable the digital miner?!?!!? LOL. Ok, I admit... it is really cool, but I can't find a reasonable argument from a balance perspective.

New Additions
* Mob Dismemberment - I've tried this. It's funny as heck.
* Extra Bit Manipulation - Add on to Chisel & Bits (which I really had fun with)
* Just Enough Forestry Bees (JEFB) - Add on to JEI for bees

Tandt
Whee!

Postby Tandt » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:49 am

You can kill the flight sim, it doesn't work real well anyways, and all my crashed planes wont go away.
Tandt Dmight
105 Warrior
:rr:
Its not big hair, Its my Helmet!

Boss mobs dont kill people, Clerics kill people!!

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:53 am

Tandt wrote:...and all my crashed planes wont go away.
I used to have the same issue. :geek:

Turlo Lomon
Whee!

Postby Turlo Lomon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:30 pm

When is this world reset planned?

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:48 pm

Turlo Lomon wrote:When is this world reset planned?

I'll get started immediately if everybody is otherwise 'done'. I was really hoping for a railcraft update before-hand, but it seems that is just not going to happen.

I can also make a world download available (~900MB) if that is at all desired.

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:34 pm

* I'll look at the configs for Spice of Life, and see what it can do. I really would like to have a reason to make something other than toast. I don't want to lose 10% of my inventory to have it.
* Will take out Simple Retrogen. If it is required later, well, I'll just put it back in.
* Chest Transporter alternative: The cardboard box from Mekanism. More expensive that sticks, yes. But not much.
* Elevator Mod: The Ender Utilities elevator pretty much has this covered. On the other hand, it's one block. Including it isn't going to make even the slightest of differences to load times or requirements. So what the heck, let's leave it in.
* Will take out RFTools Dimensions then. I would kind of like to see more cross-dimensional building (it spreads out work over other cores), but I don't realistically expect it to happen.
* The plants: Thing is, there are some items I really DO want to be more plentiful. (Dyes, glowstone, quartz, primarily). And I'm not emotionally prepared to do bees. Nonetheless, I agree that, in their current form, they are a mistake. I have plans. Really.

--

* Mob Dismemberment - Client-side only. Can add or remove as desired.
* Extra Bit Manipulation - Neat!
* Just Enough Forestry Bees (JEFB) - ok

---

Any objections, Tandt? Desired additions?

Turlo Lomon
Whee!

Postby Turlo Lomon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:23 pm

What about the 4 I suggested at top of my first post? You haven't commented on those at all. I really think you would like them.

As a favor, could you please give us a day of creative? I'd like to finish up my base then do a quick video of it. My coral castle turned out really cool.

Edit: I haven't checked the configs. Can you disable the plants that impact balance?

On the subject, can we disable plants that were pointless? (Like the rubber plants, when rubber essence wasn't craftable)

Edit2: I still haven't quite figured out bees. Still working on that. They are supposed to allow all kinds of things. maybe one day I will figure it out.

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:34 am

Trying Better Foliage now. I mostly like it. The trees are just lovely, with a much fuller feel than their vanilla counterparts.

However, the author also roundicizes the logs. Which makes for great looking trees and natural horizontal logs. But then when it comes to actually building with the logs, they lose their attraction. It's a client-only mod though, so I'll probably keep it if I can turn off the logs. (Edit: I can.) It can be added and removed on a per-user basis.

Put in RTG, and just spent half an hour wandering around a world ensuring all the biomes were generating. It still feels, to me, sharply slower than vanilla generation. So patience is going to be required when generating new landscapes. Still, some super-attractive mountains that leave me anxious and inspired to build outside for a change.

Agricraft is still rough around the edges. The crops are solid, and you can walk on top of them, which just feels weird. Getting a couple minor exceptions in the console.

Server is now set to creative. Don't rush.

Better Agriculture seems, so far, to consist of animals with different colours, but I can't claim to have looked very close at what it does.

Turlo Lomon
Whee!

Postby Turlo Lomon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:31 am

I turned off the logs too. They looked great for some builds, but horrible for others. I just stuck with the leaves (and grass).

RTG does take a bit longer, but as you are seeing... look at the results! Well worth it.

I would hold off on Agricraft for a bit longer. Still not comfortable moving it into production.

You pretty much nailed what Better Agriculture does. It allows some interesting cow breeds, etc. Spotlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1CLrnS-_vc

I won't rush! Heck, I just want to finish the upper floor area and do a video of it.

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:49 am

What the hell are you crackers talking about?!?
Level 106 Druid, Level 106 Enchanter, Level 106 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Turlo Lomon
Whee!

Postby Turlo Lomon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:39 am

Done playing around here. I would be interested in downloading the world for historical reasons, though. That was a cool base!

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:19 pm

OK, shutting it down shortly. Will have a download available later in the day, after my nap and hot-chocolate.

Derdarr
Whee!

Postby Derdarr » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:44 pm

That sounded like a lot of work... maybe a eq alt would be more fulfilling :)

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:30 am

I have a couple hours of really boring work ahead, but I'm going to have to do it in sections just to keep my sanity. Nonetheless, I think I'm about ready.

Notes:

• I had to remove Modular Systems again, due to it creating log files 100s of K lines long. Some sort if interaction with JEI (or something), best I can tell.
  • Removed Tech Reborn.
  • Added Steve's Carts.
  • Added Dynamic Surroundings, although I'm not sold on it.
  • I won't include the client-only mods (Better Foliage, which I love, and Mob Dismemberment, which I can take or leave) in the zip. If I include them, then my config preferences would over write those of others. So I'll leave them to be included, or not, as desired.
  • ATG generation really is painfully slow. Do expect lag (at times significant) when entering new dimensions / areas. Results sure are pretty though.
  • Digital Miner is not disabled.
  • Other stuff, I'm sure. I've lost track

Derdarr wrote:That sounded like a lot of work... maybe a eq alt would be more fulfilling :)

I was going to, until I learned the Hero's Forge isn't applied per-account. Forget that.

Turlo Lomon
Whee!

Postby Turlo Lomon » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:23 am

Can't wait to try it out. Need to fix moon's hotkey issue first, though.

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:36 am

Would that be the hotkeys for

"assist me on %t" or "press 1 to leave a message" ?

Turlo Lomon
Whee!

Postby Turlo Lomon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:22 pm

Had a free moment and not seeing any mods to download from your site. Has the address changed?

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:32 pm

Turlo Lomon wrote:Had a free moment and not seeing any mods to download from your site. Has the address changed?

If you're using the IP directly, yes. A week or so ago. (New modem.)

DNS should be updated long ago though.

But if you were just seeing stale data, that's because I only started running my update script again about 12h ago.

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:35 pm

And... action!

... he says, and then walks into 18 updates.

Turlo Lomon
Whee!

Postby Turlo Lomon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:06 am

Error on connecting:

Mod rejections [FMLMod:betteragriculture(1.0.1)]

I did some research. This can be caused by BA, or by wrong version of forge. Can you verify what version I should be running, please?

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:08 am

My fault. When I excluded Better* (for BetterFoliage) from the zip, it also removed BetterAgriculture, and BetterFPS. Cause I was silly.

Should be: BetterAgriculture-[1.10.2]-1.0.1.jar

Zip is updated, or you can grab that one file.

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:56 pm

Prudentium.png
Prudentium.png (135.49 KiB) Viewed 2268 times

Intermedium.png
Intermedium.png (138.65 KiB) Viewed 2268 times

Superium.png
Superium.png (141.6 KiB) Viewed 2268 times

Supremium.png
Supremium.png (135.47 KiB) Viewed 2268 times