Producer Letter: Progression Server, April Update, and Beyon

Moderator: Littlabit

Caladain
Whee!

Producer Letter: Progression Server, April Update, and Beyon

Postby Caladain » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:59 am

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/producer-letter-progression-server-april-update-and-beyond.219656/

Windstalker wrote:Hail, Norrath!

Sorry for not posting sooner! We are preparing for an awesome EQ future and I'm getting familiar with this epic game again.

To start with, we’re working on a new Progression Server based on your feedback from earlier in the year. We’re so excited about it we’re going to launch it as soon as possible and still aiming for June. We’re in the process of getting a new server up and running and planning for a Beta. There is a detailed forum post from Aristo about the Progression Server and additional detail to support a new in-game poll that launched last night so we can get more of your feedback on some key decisions.

Next week in our April 22 update, you’ll see more improvements to the Epic 1.0 quests, bug fixes, and quest and mission improvements.

We’re also adding a new item in the marketplace on April 22 called “Legend of the Oathbound” that will bring the oft-requested Legends of Norrath loot items to you in randomized bundles that you can trade or sell. Our first bundle will include EQ loot items from the first three Legends of Norrath card sets as well as tournament and promotional loot items that haven’t been available for several years. We’re going to put these items on the marketplace starting at 999SC. Each LoN loot crate guarantees you two loot rewards!

What’s coming? What are campaigns?

In the fall, EQ will release its first “campaign” content. “Campaigns” are our RPG-centric term for DLCs. We thought it was appropriate!

We expect to do two campaigns a year with our first coming this fall. Our primary goal is to keep the world vibrant with content and respond to player needs and issues. We will still provide new lands and character advancement opportunities with our campaigns.

In our two campaign releases each year, we plan to release about the same amount of content as we normally would in one annual expansion. This is important to us because it will allow us to deliver content to you more often as well as respond to an ever-changing player base. For example, the Progression Server is just one thing we are doing in response to recent community feedback. I'll also say that pricing has not been determined for the first campaign coming in fall, but we’ll share details when we get closer to our release.

Stay tuned as we bring you more details as we move ahead.

As ever, my best to you all!

Holly "Windstalker" Longdale
Executive Producer, EQ & EQ2

Glauri
Whee!

Re: Producer Letter: Progression Server, April Update, and B

Postby Glauri » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:29 am

I like it! Thanks!

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Hopefully the two campaigns are priced the same as one expansion.
Alan
I'm a Tank!
Punked, Carvas, Harvas, Cayleb

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:52 am

Or less.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

IceMagi
Whee!

Postby IceMagi » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:35 pm

I was wondering if anyone is going to go play on that server... i know that i have over 500 days played on my toon and do not feel like starting over although i see the draw of going to a new server and leveling up in the old skool way, then i think about the MONTHS i spent in south karana hunting quilliamane and think not worth my time or the year i spent in buring woods trying to get the mage peice from the dragon .. no thankyou.. not to mention not even being able to to get a crown of elemental mastry from poair(posky) i had to buy mine for 50k pp and i couldnt farm the ice giants in everfrost..

maybe if i had a group of friends that played everyday when i did and we worked on things together every day, maybe then .. just maybe i would think about it..

thought about it.. NOPE i like raiding with my mage how i levled the first time.... i dont need a do over.. but i did level a tank to 65 , he has a fat ass though.. so i made him my heroic toon... in the last year since i did that, havent played him..

well now you know, i wont be playing on the new progression server... well maybe just one toon for a day.. when we're not raiding.. oh wait i still have things to do on my mage that is my main.. yea.. cant do it.. one toon, one day.. just to see.. maybe i will re-roll as a druid or a shaman.. or maybe a cleric...

now to think of a clever name ....

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:35 am

I won't be playing on a progression server. I've done it all already.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Andreii
Whee!

Postby Andreii » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:34 am

I'd like to see them do with "Campaigns" what DCUO does with their DLCs. Access to the DLCs is included with your All-access subscription. Otherwise, they're $10. DCUO does (or did) put out 3-4 a year though, so the price point might be a little higher for EQ.

--Andreii
Endered Blackenedsoul -Commander-in-Chief of Adreii's Army

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Meso
Whee!

Postby Meso » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:04 am

Done that. And the fools that turn it into a race ruin it.

Zantetsuken
Iron Cutting Sword

Postby Zantetsuken » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:27 am

Would like to play on progression, I started EQ during Velious era.

Doubt they will open it up to Silver accounts. Can't even see those kinds of servers on the server list if your ftp/silver. New players will be clueless.
Lightbringer Zantetsuken
"Men in battle, do not need women. My love is my Sword!" - The Almighty Dekar from Lufia II
Axe Master Verige
"The weak only strive to be weaker." - Magus from Chrono Trigger

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:44 pm

I'd like to give Progression a shot as well. I started when the game was four or five months old, and might enjoy re-doing things without all the AAs, mercs, etc. that we have now.

Caladain
Whee!

Postby Caladain » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:49 am

The progression could be interesting, but keep in mind its not going to be true classic EQ. A lot of features that have been implemented, but not part of full expansions will be included as they have to keep the base operating system the same across all live servers. Some examples are all of the redesigned zones (Freeport, Karana's, etc) will be the new version. The advanced looting system will be there. You'll still have your gear when you die.

I think the biggest difference between starting fresh on a TLP server and making a new toon and imposing the same rules on yourself is the exp. It's going to take more than 2 bat kills to hit level 1 on the new server lol.

One other thing to remember if you do the new server is the lack of instanced content. So be ready to be KS'ed and have to fight over spawns and such if it is as busy as people are expecting. They are making some base zones that will instance themselves to spread population (much like EQ2) but they are mostly going to be the low level starting zones (1-15ish).

Criploc
Whee!

Postby Criploc » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:07 am

When I started, everyone was wearing/using Black Alloy armor / weapons. In fact, when I started playing this game, you could type/leave messages and read messages left by others on the bulletin boards that are on the walls in High Keep.