Vanguard

Moderator: Littlabit

Keldinaar
Whee!

Vanguard

Postby Keldinaar » Fri May 05, 2006 7:01 pm

Well, I guess this explains a lot about why Sony isn't concerned about the release of Vanguard later this year!

http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/news_article.vm?id=50144

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Fri May 05, 2006 7:22 pm

Well.. That's unexpected.

People that left SOE/Verant to make an MMO... Come back to SOE.

But it took it from a "maybe try it" to a "definitely purchase" if it's going to be on the Station Pass.

Nebbie
Whee!

Postby Nebbie » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:42 pm

So...anyone pick this up?

Haven't checked on this in forever.....interested on your opinions.

Jhereg
Whee!

Postby Jhereg » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:25 pm

I haven't tried it but one thing that a lot of people have mentioned liking is their Diplomacy path in there. I'm not sure how it works though.

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm

If it kills my PC like EQ2 did then I wont play it. Will stick with Guild Wars and EQ

Smyrt
Whee!

Postby Smyrt » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:23 am

I'm trying it a little on Station Pass. It's rough around the edges but has potential. It won't be a WoW killer, and it won't replace EQ for me.

It's big - 17GB installed. You need a robust machine. They're still doing optimizations, but indoor zones will drop you below 10FPS. Outdoors aren't too bad, but something simple like opening a door will drop you below 1FPS briefly. I have graphics problems frequently when doing things like opening the map window or the inventory window, but liberal use of the /flush command seems to help.

Graphics are good, visually. Not cartoony like WoW. The extent to which you can customize your character's appearance is very nice - kind of like the City of Heroes character creator (which was more fun than the game).

Quests and storyline seem to be good. I went to the Diplomacy trainer and managed to complete the tutorial, but I'm not sure I understand why. I'm also not sure I understand what the point is, but I think there are three paths in which you can progress: adventuring, diplomacy and crafting. I haven't tried crafting yet.

Newbie quests will get you a set of newbie armor and enough coin to buy your basic skills/spells. Gnome Necro backstory wasn't interesting, but it might not be complete. Half-Elf Monk backstory was very well done, I enjoyed it. There's a death penalty starting at level 7 - it's the return of the corpse run!

The biggest surprise for me is the feeling of original EQ I'm getting. There are people in the newbie areas shouting for groups to complete quests - and getting them! Remember when GFay had 100 people every night? That's what it feels like. Mostly it seems to be mature players, and by that I mean "not WoW b.net kiddies."

I think it's worth the free 30 days provided you have a high tolerance for unfinished code, beyond that I'm not sure. I think it has potential to be successful if they can get the initial kinks worked out quickly.

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:39 pm

so right now it sounds like EverLag

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:30 am

So anybody playing this right now? I have to admit that this is looking very appealing to me. I am getting kind of frustrated with the current EQ viewpoint of having to do multiple crappy missions to access the raid zone - and then repeating this every six months when new Crapspansion is released? Do we have any clues on Septembers release yet? We have snakes on the sea floor, we going to have Pigs in Space next?

Anyways, I recall the early days of EQ and that is what caused my addiction, if Vangard is anything like that then I want to take a look.

Does CN have any presence there yet? if so what server?

Loendar
Whee!

Postby Loendar » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:08 am

Though I'm not active in CN (or EQ1 atm) - I am playing Vanguard quite a bit on Woefeather. I'm currently a 13th lvl. Death Knight (Dark Elf) and have found myself painfully hooked on it.

In fact, having maxed out a character in EQ2 and not being big on the Alt-thing, I have been spending much of my time playing Vanguard. It holds a lot more in common with EQ1 than EQ2 (much slower progression, for instance) - but hey, it IS fun.

So - if you make it over and hit up Woefeather, drop a line to Liandra. ;p

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:17 am

OK Loendar I will do that. How does your system handle Vangard? I had issues with EQ2, which I think I talked with you way back in the day, would it be worth trying it out?

By saying it is more like EQ1 you have most likely sold me on at least trying this game out - station pass here I come lol

Loendar
Whee!

Postby Loendar » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:11 pm

Well - there-in lies the rub - with it being so new, it isn't really performance tweaked yet. My system (which runs EQ2 famously on higher settings) has a bit of an issue in highly populated sections of Vanguard. Luckily that is almost exclusively reserved to the Cities - so once you branch out in your hunting my FPS stays around 35 or so.

Vanguard has corpse runs, no instances, wide-open expanses that really give you a sense of world scale, no real 'zones' (they have chunks where you sorta stutter for a second, but you don't zone), and item damage.

Of coures - you don't HAVE to do corpse runs - you can summon your body back to you at the respawn altar, but then you take a significant exp. hit and more damage to your gear. Not too bad at lower levels - but at higher ones, due to the grind you'll want to try to recover your corpse manually. ;p

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:52 pm

well all my EQ accounts are cancelled atm, when they come up I might get the station pass

Twoofus
Whee!

Postby Twoofus » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:07 am

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:55 am

graphics look rather pleasant :)

Akgriz
Scout

Postby Akgriz » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:51 pm

am trying this as well , it is a little laggy , takes a decent PC to run it but the graphics are real nice, it does have the feel of the "old" eq as it is a slow paced game but you are able to solo a lot of quests, Loendar is really into the Diplomacy thing so ask him on that stuff , I have a lvl 13 shaman there and he is a kick,,

try it if ya can and as Loen said we be on the woefeather server
Akgriz
Scout of Celestial Navigators

Zyton
Whee!

Postby Zyton » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:01 am

I assuming Gelenia is the sever on Vanguard Twoofus?

I am thinking of picking up Vanguard in the future, or at least interested in it. Rather than make all new friends in the game, I think it would be very cool to start a CN guild in Vanguard. I am still very EQ loyal of course, but hear talk of people leaving for Vanguard, and would hate to see some of the team not reform. You are all such great people, and it would be nice to have some of CN in Vanguard.

Just my attempt to round up those starting Vanguard. I won't be considering it until after May or longer.

Cheers,
Zyton

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:35 am

I would be likely to gravitate towards the server Akgriz and Ryana are on - although Loendar is there too which definitly increases the slack factor

Akgriz
Scout

Postby Akgriz » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:38 am

If ya do come over my toons name is Kabbal , Loendars name is liandra, also Gurala is there on Guralo,
Akgriz
Scout of Celestial Navigators

Loendar
Whee!

Postby Loendar » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:28 am

Hmph - having Loendar on a server is a perk.... even if Loendar isn't my main toon there. ;p

I decided to branch out into the world of tanking and made a really attractive DE Deathknight to stare at.

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:26 pm

so now you are slacking even more?

Ryanakris
100% Pure luv

Postby Ryanakris » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:33 pm

Jaff I have to admit I'm jealous, Loen's DE is a LOT more...er endowed than mine...sigh! Look for Elenah too if you come this way! Hugs!
Ryana

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:50 am

well SoE put the price of the station pass up - f2!@@!s. My fundage is in a bad way atm but I will investigate after Mr. Taxman finishes with me

Ahlevah
Whee!

Postby Ahlevah » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:34 am

Hello, Ak, Ryana. Come pop your heads into the Maelin social issues forum some time, even if it's just to say hi. Loen does, and he has all sorts of fun. We talk about things like France, pet dragons and other imaginary friends, and Al Gore's green mansion--the one with the $28,000 annual light bill. :D

Tardar
Whee!

Postby Tardar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 am

France Rules!!

Lachaise
Whee!

Postby Lachaise » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:35 am

Picked it up today...simply cuz I'm a curious idiot.

Will see you on Woefeather later.

Might go with a big bang type of toon...will see what they look like :)
Lachaise Flechedargent
70 Paladin
Officer and Sheriff
Celestial Navigators

Lappy
49 Enchanter

Loendar
Whee!

Postby Loendar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:02 pm

It is an entertaining read (social issues forum), to be sure. It is sad that I am one of the few voices of undisputed reason on those forums, but it is the cross I bear.

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:56 pm

let me know what you think 'Chaise :)

Ryanakris
100% Pure luv

Postby Ryanakris » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:16 pm

AHLEVAH! HUGS & HUGS and HUGS (((((((((((((YOU)))))))))))))))! Loen you are SO in trouble!!!! What addy Alevah? I tried several and couldn't find you! Too tired to keep reading drivel!

<edit> Omg, found an old post on the original OH EZboards with your name hehe! Reference was "The Guess Who"...ROFL!

<edit> Found you! Loen you're still in trouble!
Ryana

Ahlevah
Whee!

Postby Ahlevah » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:07 am

What addy Alevah? I tried several and couldn't find you! Too tired to keep reading drivel!

Yeah, I don't write drivel, so it's no surprise you didn't find me. Tardar's in charge of the Drivel Department. :lol:

It's here: Maelin.EQ.com

Lachaise
Whee!

Postby Lachaise » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:21 am

So I tried it. I run a Pentium Dual Core 3.0 with 2 gig ram and a 256 meg GEForce 6800 vid card and on cable modem... and the thing runs SO slow.

I leveled my sorcerer to level 12 so far and the game is a lot like early EQ...lots of running around. The Diplomacy line is interesting, it is like playin a card game online. Tradeskillin I havent understood yet but I am only level 2.

Unless you have a great machine, with SLI board to run two good vid card I don't think I could play it full time, it is too annoyin not to have seamless travel. There is no zone...but still some bugs as at times I "zone" and end up off my horse and breathing under water on solid ground.
Lachaise Flechedargent

70 Paladin

Officer and Sheriff

Celestial Navigators

Lappy

49 Enchanter