So I saw DoAC box set the other day...

Moderator: Littlabit

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

So I saw DoAC box set the other day...

Postby Jaffod » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:52 am

is less than $30. Is it worth getting or will it join the unopened copy of eq2 I have gathering dust on the shelf?

I here this is a great game for PvP, but I have never done any of that so am a total newb:). Dif said he would help me out one day with some pvp tips (I guess he wants easy pwnage of me lol)

Rendus
Nekoconeko

RE: So I saw DoAC box set the other day...

Postby Rendus » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:15 am

DAOC is pretty much free - You can get unlimited 14 day demos from them directly, and I think you can just start playing with all expansions (excluding the upcoming one) by just starting to pay the monthly fee. Don't hold me to that though ;)

Unfortunately, DAOC is a slowly dying game. They've done an odd form of server merges - The battlegrounds are merged between servers, as well as a few other encounters I think? Not entirely certain, but eh.

I haven't played the game for ages, but the PVP is pretty fun, if you can get past.. Well.. The rest of the game, really.

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:17 am

ok thanks Rendus :)

Blackbane911
Whee!

Postby Blackbane911 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:37 pm

DAoC indeed has been dying, and had been losing accounts left and right before WoW rolled out, such that EQ subscriptions actually took a greater proportional hit due to WoW's release than DAoC did. I note too that EQ servers have undergone merges too.

BTW- I think the way the servers are merged now is that the only zones that have distinctive original server Identities are the Housing zones, since people actually own property in-game. All else is now a single common zone.

DAoC has seen a mild resurgence, however, since they rolled out "Classic" servers (Gareth, Ector, Lamorak) a few months ago that have no Trials of Atlantis content. Many I know reactivated their accounts to play so they can RvR again without the ToA artifact arms race grind and Master Level "I win" buttons.

Peeps do not play DAoC for the PvE. DAoC PvE is reasonably pleasant and a tolerable way to get your toon to max level to duke it out PvP on the frontier, but is nothing like the massive gameworld of EQ.

I suspect with the advent of the classic servers, that there will be a hard-core element still playing for a while because of how well-developed the PvP aspect of the game is. In other words, the long slow demise has been slowed some.

The new epic edition has EVERY expansion and a free month of play. I'd say give it a shot if you would like PvP, but pass if you don't.

You can get the core game free with 14 day trial. At least once you hit level 20, you can go to battlegrounds to fight other players on a smaller scale to see if you like it.

DAoC PvP is a whole vast frontier, where keeps are besieged (you can assemble and operate a ram or trebuchet) and mass battles can occur. Guild Wars PvP is much more like Unreal Tournament, with teams going at each other in a limited-space arena.

As for me, I'm still in DAoC because I've been in it for years. Some things in DAoC I like better than EQ. Other things, like the vastness of the gameworld and variety of gear, give an edge to EQ.
Blackbane Darcmedic, Archon of Innoruuk, Grandmaster of Sarcasm, Eater of Too Many Cookies.
Yerb Sixpac, Mercenary of Albion, Gawaine server
Snivius Madmeddler, Mesmer/Elementalist Guild Wars

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:42 pm

I got your message Blackbane:) I am hoping that Santa might bring me DAoC - I am trying out EQ2 right now.