Console Controllers

Moderator: Littlabit

Ommina
Whee!

Console Controllers

Postby Ommina » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:23 am

Having lost all capacity for rational thought, I'm considering buying a console-type controller for the PC. Specifically, the Logitech F710.

However, the last console I owned was an Atari 2600, so I'm a bit uncertain on what I should look for in a controller, and what to avoid. Any comments / suggestions from those with a bit more recent experience than I?

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Re: Console Controllers

Postby Goofydoofy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:00 am

The most important question here is, what are you going to be using it for, mainly?
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Lhimy
Whee!

Postby Lhimy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:27 am

An xbox 360 controller is the best option. doesn't just obviously get the best support from windows but seems to be the go to choice for a lot of the games i'm seeing coming out that are best for controllers, the fun indie stuff.

Tandt
Whee!

Postby Tandt » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:46 am

Goofydoofy wrote:The most important question here is, what are you going to be using it for, mainly?

ide guess voxel based games.
Tandt Dmight
105 Warrior
:rr:
Its not big hair, Its my Helmet!

Boss mobs dont kill people, Clerics kill people!!

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:59 am

Seconding Lhimy. If you're getting anything but a 360 controller, you're making a mistake. Most modern games with controller support will automatically map buttons correctly when they detect the 360 controller (hell, some only work with a 360 controller). This is especially true for console ports.

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:57 am

Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:09 pm

I'm going to try a JRPG, which I have not done since... FF7 I guess.

It is a console port -- the Steam page does claim "Full controller support", but is quiet on details. The manual lists keyboard details only, with no mention of controllers whatsoever, which doesn't really help me much.

Looks like it was originally a PS3 console, which is the sole reason I was considering the Logitech. I do not want to limit myself to just that game, of course. That's just the impetus, coupled with a desire to sit in a chair other than this one for a change.

Rarely, if ever, do I play shooters.

The Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller recommendation stand? (Amazon won't ship that to Canada, but presumably I can find one somewhere.)

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Which JRPG?

Regardless, I'd recommend the 360 controller. newegg.ca is probably your best bet for getting one in Canuckistan. NewEgg.ca search results. I favor wired peripherals, but wired or wireless is up to you.

/goes back to FFXIV

Edit: Derp, didn't see you linked to things! Considering Record of Agarest War (I always want to type Lodoss there) had a 360 version, and it looks like this is actually just a renamed PC version of that title, I'd expect 360 controller support. I can't confirm it 100%, but generally speaking if it was ever a 360 title, the PC version's going to support the 360 controller.

Second Edit: Found this quote at neogaf:

New for the PC Build
The PC version of Agarest: Generations Of War will be based on the North American Xbox 360 release and will feature Aksys Games’ excellent English text translation but will retain the original Japanese voice overs. The PC version will also feature both gamepad and keyboard/mouse support along with Steam Achievements and dozens of both free and purchasable downloadable items and additional content.

Based on that, yeah, 360 controller support should be good.

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:15 pm

With all the links I posted, one would think I was playing Zelda!

(OK, maybe that wasn't worth the week's wait.)