Yo.

Moderator: Littlabit

Wrygryn
Whee!

Yo.

Postby Wrygryn » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:53 am

Man...I wish I'd kept a copy of Everquest Pie...was a great rewrite of the song ;).

Was poking around the internet and noticed CN was still around...made me smile so I tried to log in and it work lol...couldn't believe it. Hope you all are well, no idea who is still playing though, haven't played EQ in...ages.

Rosey and I are well...have 3 kids now (all boys). Warms my heart to see Jhereg is still around...hopefully he still plays a monk =).

Anyways, hope anyone who remembers us is doing well, cheers!

-Wrygryn and Rosellia

Jhereg
Whee!

Re: Yo.

Postby Jhereg » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi, good to hear you two are doing well :) I'm still around, Littlabit, Gronalk and a few others. There's a facebook group even though I am rarely on it there are a bunch of retired people who check in occasionally.

Wrygryn
Whee!

Postby Wrygryn » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:38 am

Cool, we don't really do facebook, but glad a few of the old gang are still running around representing.

I wonder if our characters have been deleted or if they are still out there somewhere...Since it's free...I'd hop on wry and look around a bit if he still exists. I bet a metric ton of junk has changed in the last 8 or 9 years...wonder if I'll even recognize the game! Back when I played (stopped at 63) soloing was impossible unless you kited as a druid...or were a monk iirc. I read somewhere they added mercenaries you can hire so you can solo...sounds...interesting. Wonder how all that works--especially with a rogue...I gots ta sneak around ya know...

Jhereg
Whee!

Postby Jhereg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:30 am

It would be easier if you both played again as far as mercenaries go. One of you gets a tank merc, one gets a cleric merc. Some missions might be impossible without a mezzer or slower but xp would be easy. The free to play thing has limitations on cash and AA's and bag space, but its still likely more than you had when you quit back then.

Lhimy
Whee!

Postby Lhimy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:41 am

If it's been 8 or 9 years you'll definitely be learning an entirely new game! Toons should all be perfectly fine. About a year and half ago I resubbed an old original account of mine that hadnt been logged in since 2001 with a 54 bard on it and all was fine, still chilling in his imbrued hate gear =P.

Keldinaar
Whee!

Postby Keldinaar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:19 am

Rosey and Wry.....wow, now there's a blast from the past. Just came back myself after a year layoff, would love to see the two of you in game again!!

Wrygryn
Whee!

Postby Wrygryn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:01 am

Keldinaar! Hah! Good to see another person I recognize. I doubt we would "come back", but we might log back in and muck around a bit. We have been looking for a game to play together...WoW's gotten old...Eve isn't that good. Might be fund to play a blast from the past, and since it's pretty much an entirely different game, it would be like playing something that's new. Our interest would be purely to walk down memory lane though, but it would be good to see whoever is left and say hi. To be honest, I'm not sure if we are on the same server as you guys...the name isn't familiar but we may have been combined?

Did CN change servers? If not...we should still be wherever you guys are are. Still have to convince Rose to come along though, she's skeptical and remembers the game as being superbly painful to play (corpse runs...long nights of raiding in plane of Fear...completely unable to do anything without a full group...etc.)

-Wry

Sharrien
Whee!

Postby Sharrien » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:17 am

Yeah, there's been some server mergers over the years. I myself started in Vazaelle, merged into Maelin and then into Drinal. Nice meeting you btw :)

Some of the big changes they did make did a lot to reduce the pain of playing. There is a zone off of Plane of Knowledge called the Guild Lobby that have corpse summoners that can rez you from anywhere, plus you re-spawn at your bind point with your gear....no more naked corpse runs. Mercenaries are AI controlled npcs that you can hire to flesh out a group so it's a lot less difficult to get a group going, right now you can get a tank, healer, caster dps or melee dps. Of course they have fewer abilities and less common sense than real players....well, almost all players.

Raiding can still be painful on those nights when Ommina decides it's going to be one of those "let's see how THIS works out" nights. :shock:

If nothing else, log and and take a look at our own decorated guild hall and some of the other player-owned housing. Some of it is really spectacular.
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker, Master Artisan, Master Researcher
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden, Master Artisan, Master Researcher

Wrygryn
Whee!

Postby Wrygryn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:40 am

Yeah the naked corpse runs were the worst...I remember back before people had ports...it was a 3 hour journey to get from my home in wood elf trees to the frozen tundra of the barbarians. And at my level (like 15), dying was just part of the journey. Then everyone and their brother got ports (as people all leveled up) and eventually they came out with a portal system that took you all over the world...pretty much everyone bound there so they could get whereever they wanted to go. End game content was even worse...when all of plane of fear aggroed and was hanging out on your zone in point...it was...horrific. Had to call in other guilds just to hold down the zone in spot so we could rez people and get our gear.

I remember a 50 man raid I let to kill the final boss to get my epic dagger...was glorious (and super chaotic trying to get 50 people from across the world to listen up...and work together). But we did it...I bet poor Wry's dagger isn't worth squat anymore, but at the time it was truely epic. I had that and my Jboots and I was the sneakiest rogue in all of EQ (in my head).

Me and Rosey played from when it first launched, for about 3 years. Level 60 was the max level up until JUST before we left, then it changed to 65...but we lost interest and didn't even make it to 65 before we hung up our hats. Well, take care guys, my interest is peaked...maybe I'll download the client and see if I can remember my password lol...hmmm player owned buildings...yeah that never used to exist...could be interesting =). 95 is the max level now? Man, I'd have some serious catching up to do...I think I was only 62 or 63 when I left.

Cheers,

PS--Yeah I think I was at Vazaelle...that sounds really familiar...

Wrygryn - Retired Rogue

Lhimy
Whee!

Postby Lhimy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Check the 'returning to norrath' forum. Rendus has some bad-ass threads there on getting back into EQ.

For the most part level'n up to 80ish is going to be pretty fast. The gear you can get in the bazaar for those levels along with hot zones and such gonna make things go pretty quick. 80+ gonna feel like a bit more of the grindfest you're used to. However, other mechanics like being able to molo (term that kinda caught on for solo'n with a merc) along with abilty to travel around much quicker gonna make level'n much less of a chore than it was.

They've also closed the gap between group and raid gear. You can be a substantially well geared person in just group gear. And if raiding is a goal we can start at 8 and get in 3 events by 10 and be done for the night (though currently we just broke into tier3 stuff in VoA and been running until 11 working on downing our first t3 raid, getting in as many shots as possible.) For the most part trash is no longer a part of raiding and there isnt really anything like fear or tov where you're gonna spend 2 hours clearing to get to one raid mob. However some raid events can take 30+ mins, pretty sure they're similar in WoW since you played that, multiple stages and mobs to be killed. But not like the good old days.

If the tedious and time consuming aspect of EQ 10+ years ago is what forced you away then you should enjoy it much more these days, they've done tons to fix those things.

Wrygryn
Whee!

Postby Wrygryn » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:51 am

I logged in last night and had a look around. Man...I figured it would have been updated more but the game looks about how it did 10 years ago =/. I don't think I'll be getting back into it unfortunately, after playing games like Eve and WoW for like 6 years...going back to graphics like that and the heavy text based NPC interaction isn't something I think I can do--even though the gameplay has clearly improved.

Wrygryn had many adventures in World Of Warcraft...still a red bearded dwarf rogue btw. But at this point, I don't think I'll be doing more than poking around memory lane in EQ =(.

Thanks Macwizz for all the time he spent with me last night, I was totally lost and couldn't remember how to play at all, and he came and picked me up and ported me to POK.

If anyone see's Lanathorn Canrakis (going by memory--not sure spelling is right), tell him Wry said hi and to shoot me an email (wrygryn@gmail.com), I would love to say hi to him again. I'll try to stop in here every now and again and say hi now that I know where you guys are now as well.

Good luck with your adventures CN...this was my first and possibly best guild I've ever been a part of in a MMORPG--I wish you all the best!

-Wrygryn

Jhereg
Whee!

Postby Jhereg » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:33 am

Most of the old zones are still the same graphics, each new expansion added some models and artwork. The few old zones (Freeport, Nekulos forest) they did update generally got a negative backlash due to people not liking change. The text thing isn't particularly cumbersome these days, a few words here and there but there's a task and an expedition system and UI addons with keywords for things.

For example this is one screenshot from the newest expansion.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/scenery ... a-ramp.jpg

This links to zones, can see artwork in each.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zone.html?mode=bymap

I haven't seen Lanathorn in years, maybe Siderius has. He checks the forums occasionally, can PM Siderius here and he'll see it eventually.