EQtraders virus

Moderator: Littlabit

Sorick
Whee!

EQtraders virus

Postby Sorick » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:15 pm

Saw this post on the EQ forums and wanted to pass it along in case anyone had visited EQTraders.com lately.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts ... _id=182023

Gives some details about a virus hidden in the Ads on their forums which sends all of your keystrokes to an IRC channel.

I didn't bother trying to go to EQtraders, but a few posts down someone says it is now down.

So if you've visited that site lately you may want to run some scans just in case.

Eubedyen Fourever
Whee!

Re: EQtraders virus

Postby Eubedyen Fourever » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:22 pm

i personally dont go there,but thanks for the heads up.

Meso
Whee!

Postby Meso » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:37 pm

I Never click the ads on any website! If i see something of interest I look up a direct link.

Zahashah
Whee!

Postby Zahashah » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks Sorick so much for the heads up!
I LOVE EQTraders and spend lots of time at that site researching recipes and such.
Was freaked when I first saw this ... shut down right away and ran Spy Bot and AVG.
Came back to see it entered from clicking on an ad /whew!!! I don't do that.
It appears they are back up, but might have lost all data from the last two weeks.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards:
but it is the journey that matters in the end." ~Ursula K Le Guin

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:44 am

Promoting this to announcement for a couple of weeks.

If I'm reading the linked thread (and linked links) correctly, the problem is with vBulletin itself, through which modified javascript is sent to clients. That is, it seems to be more passive that requiring a click on the part of the user. I'm trying to find out more, but details are sketchy.

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:36 am

I use this site every time I play EQ. I am usually making something for myself or others and I use this site primarily for information. Although I never even look at advertisements, it doesn't surprise me something like this happened. All I can say is, everybody should be using a virus scanner. There is no excuse at all for anybody not to be prepared for this. You can get a good scanner for free from Microsoft called Microsoft Security Essentials. Doesn't pop up windows while playing EQ, unless it finds a virus, of course. Updates itself in the background without slowing anything down. Scans on demand or on a schedule. It has worked flawlessly for me since it has been out and it is free.

Another thing you should have to prevent problems is common sense. I know that is not something a lot of people have anymore, but hey! Don't open e-mail attachments from people you don't know and even if you do know them, consider how much common sense they may have. It still may be infected. Check it before opening it. Never run a .exe. file as an attachment. Always know, if the file has access to your operating system, you could be screwed when you run it. Don't click any links in emails that have no purpose to you (IE spam). It may look neato, but skip it. If you want neato, buy me a Corvette.

Most Internet browsers have security options to tell you when you are going to a potentially dangerous site. They will check server certificates as a added layer of protection, but this can steer you away from a valid site if the certificate has expired and hasn't been renewed. If you are not sure on something, skip it for now and ask somebody who may be able to help.

In the end, you are screwed. This is humanity and you will always be attacked at every opportunity and shit on before you will be treated with respect and honor.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Zahashah
Whee!

Postby Zahashah » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:38 am

http://majorgeeks.com/ is a great source for freeware.

I run AVG free edition when playing EQ all the time, no pop up windows, no lag.
I have AVG set to scan all of my incoming & outgoing emails.
It is also set for manual updating which I do every morning, though it could be set for automatic updates.
Spy Bot Search and Destroy is an excellent freeware program I run about once a week or so.
Both of these programs were recommended to me by SoE support years ago when I had some EQ issues.
Have used them both for well over 7 years with great satisfaction.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards:
but it is the journey that matters in the end." ~Ursula K Le Guin