1957 vs 2010

Moderator: Littlabit

Meso
Whee!

1957 vs 2010

Postby Meso » Sat May 07, 2011 11:36 am

You know by today's standards none of us was suppose to ever make it.

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2010

Scenario 1:
Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2010 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2010 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it

Scenario 3:
Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2010 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
2010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school..
1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock
2010 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:
Pedro fails high school English.
1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
2010 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
1957 - Ants die.
2010 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again, therefore losing his job..

Scenario 8:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Glauri
Whee!

Re: 1957 vs 2010

Postby Glauri » Sat May 07, 2011 12:39 pm

We used to play dodge ball in elementary school, and while the point was to knock down the bowling pin guarded by the other side, the way to achieve that was by hitting opponents with the ball, the harder the better. We all got hit on occasion, but we loved the game. Can't play that any more though. We also had a tree house left to us by earlier generations of kids that extended five stories up into the woods. OMG! You could get hurt falling off! Yeah, and we all had a great time adventuring there too.

I was just thinking yesterday about how it came about that adults have to wear a helmet on a bicycle. Who gets hurt in the event of a crash? The bicyclist. So who should get to decide whether or not to wear a helmet? The bicyclist. Too many examples of this sort of nanny care government around to suit me.

I like to take care of my own self. I won't blame you when I screw it up, but don't be telling me how to live. I've done some very 'dangerous' things in my life, and wouldn't trade those adventures for anything. What's the point in living longer if it isn't fun? It's not like you get some sort of prize ya know.
Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
Glauri

Serano
Whee!

Postby Serano » Sat May 07, 2011 11:14 pm

Glauri wrote:We used to play dodge ball in elementary school, and while the point was to knock down the bowling pin guarded by the other side, the way to achieve that was by hitting opponents with the ball, the harder the better. We all got hit on occasion, but we loved the game.

This is very interesting. I have never played a Dodgeball version where there was a guarded bowling pin. Neat. Last time I played Dodgeball I was 29 - Spring of 2000. Military hosted. Played it virtually Identical to the way it was played in Dodgeball - a True Underdog story. OH - except we played it on a Tennis court - with net up. I think I am now on profile from playing just about any sports. I could prolly play Volley ball and Tennis tho. But just about anything with contact is recommended against now.

Caramonn
Whee!

Postby Caramonn » Sun May 08, 2011 6:19 am

I beleive it was pretty close to the same when I was growin up in '67 as it was in '57 and I keep askin myself "if everythig I did back then was as dangerous as "they" say it was how did I manage to survive?" I believe we are wimpifying our kids to death.

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Sun May 08, 2011 6:44 am

When the ignorant people take over, you have to protect the ignorant.

Just curl up in the fetal position and give up. Humanity is screwed.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Sun May 08, 2011 8:41 am

To heck with protecting stupid people. Let Darwinism run its course!
Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
Glauri

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Sun May 08, 2011 9:55 am

It is to late for that. The stupid people out number the rest and thus have control.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server