Government Shutdown

Moderator: Littlabit

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Government Shutdown

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:18 pm

So, the government people who make 100k+ a year think its OK for people not to be able to pay their bills and buy food.

I wonder what would happen if the people took up arms and marched on the white house? How many people would be killed?

Maybe we can ask for help from the international community and maybe the Lybians can come to our aid and rescue us from the tyranny of the American government?
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Tarvas
Whee!

Re: Government Shutdown

Postby Tarvas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:28 pm

The Democratic Party...You got to love them.
Alan
I'm a Tank!
Punked, Carvas, Harvas, Cayleb

Balzzodar
Captain Canary Saves the Day!

Postby Balzzodar » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:12 pm

This is all the democrats fault? .. hmm how did that happen?
"A pun is the lowest form of humor, unless you thought of it yourself." — Doug Larson

Balzzodar Dabard, Officer for Celestial Navigators
Facebook

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Not to get into an argument Balz, but the Dems owned the House, the Senate and the Presidency for the past two years...and did not pass a budget!

I was a Federal employee during the last shutdowns (one I think for about 3 weeks). I was considered 'essential' and had to shovel the car clear of snow to get to work. The management pukes sat on their butts watching soap operas at home (or whatever), and when the shutdown was over, they got ALL THEIR BACK PAY! Yes, they got paid for sitting at home!

Once upon a time, I was in the military overseas during a shutdown. The military gave us all letters to send to our mortgage companies, auto loan companies, etc. explaining why we could not pay our bills this month. I used the letters and had no problems with creditors...but then that was a long time ago.
Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
Glauri

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Balzzodar wrote:This is all the democrats fault? .. hmm how did that happen?

What Glauri said. It amazes me that there isn't more blow back on this issue against the Democratic Party. They were able to pass two landmark pieces of legislation last year against stiff Republican opposition but they couldn't pass a budget? Absolutely unacceptable and the word needs to get out to everyone. The Republicans are not angels, but on this single issue there should be no misunderstanding.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Nlannie
Mindless Lemming

Postby Nlannie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Politics is terrible, no matter who is in charge nothing good happens

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:07 pm

Nlannie wrote:Politics is terrible, no matter who is in charge nothing good happens

It sort of like having monks pop into hott. You just know death for someone else is a FD key away.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Loendar
Whee!

Postby Loendar » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:33 am

Just so I'm clear...

You're blaming the Democrats for *NOT* forcing through a budget last year against the wishes of the Republican party?

The fault here is that neither side is willing to compromise - they weren't last year and they still aren't now. To blame
one party exclusively for this mess is incredibly short-sighted.

Not to mention, had the Dems pushed through their agenda on the budget we would be wasting even more money right
now as the Repubs tried to find a way to repeal it AND we still wouldn't have a budget.

Both parties are screwed - reiterating the insanity the Limbaugh and Beck spew doesn't help anyone.

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:42 am

You people seem to be missing the key point of my original message! Lets take up arms and march on the damn white house! I wonder how long it will be before my house is bombed by a jet fighter now for using my free speech. Oh ya, we don't have rights anymore.

Loendar
Whee!

Postby Loendar » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:50 am

I would rather march on the houses of Congress - they are the ones that have to come up with and ratify a budget before it goes to the President.

Nlannie
Mindless Lemming

Postby Nlannie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:47 am

Goofys right! Down with the government.

Wonder why there is a black SUV outside my house.

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:15 am

Best to start wearing that tin hat again Nlannie! (Assuming of course, that at some point, you took it off.)
Glauri

Nlannie
Mindless Lemming

Postby Nlannie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:50 am

I'd shower with it, if my water wasn't contaminated by the GOVERNMENT trying to control me

Serano
Whee!

Postby Serano » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:32 pm

Goofydoofy wrote:You people seem to be missing the key point of my original message! Lets take up arms and march on the damn white house! I wonder how long it will be before my house is bombed by a jet fighter now for using my free speech. Oh ya, we don't have rights anymore.

Careful Goofy - your post above is one of the few things with "free Speech" that can actually get you put in prison.

kCii
Whee!

Postby kCii » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:10 pm

...That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness...

brilliant~

has worked for 200+ years, did work prior, will work again

kC

Jhereg
Whee!

Postby Jhereg » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:23 pm

kCii wrote:
...That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness...

brilliant~

has worked for 200+ years, did work prior, will work again

kC

Bring a merc cleric to rez you when you try that btw.

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:44 pm

Loendar wrote:Just so I'm clear...

You're blaming the Democrats for *NOT* forcing through a budget last year against the wishes of the Republican party?

The fault here is that neither side is willing to compromise - they weren't last year and they still aren't now. To blame

Not to mention, had the Dems pushed through their agenda on the budget we would be wasting even more money right
now as the Repubs tried to find a way to repeal it AND we still wouldn't have a budget.
Both parties are screwed - reiterating the insanity the Limbaugh and Beck spew doesn't help anyone.

Limbaugh and Beck have nothing to do with how the process works. The Fiscal Year ends on September 30th of every year. Who owned the House of Representatives in September of 2010? Who owned the Senate in Septmeber of 2010? This is more "punting" by liberals on the issues. They refused to pass a budget for FY11 why? All I hear is crickets whenever this question is asked. It is incredibily short-sighted not lay blame where blame is due.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:46 am

Serano wrote:
Goofydoofy wrote:You people seem to be missing the key point of my original message! Lets take up arms and march on the damn white house! I wonder how long it will be before my house is bombed by a jet fighter now for using my free speech. Oh ya, we don't have rights anymore.

Careful Goofy - your post above is one of the few things with "free Speech" that can actually get you put in prison.

Of course they put you in prison. Just like any other country you try to seek freedom and change. So basically, this country is no better then Lybia.

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:03 am

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, NOW GET OUT: "I'm proud to be an American
soldier," said Ramdeo Chankarsingh, 44, of South Ozone Park, N.Y. He
was promised if he served in the military he would be given
citizenship, so the Trinidad native enlisted in the Army in 1991 and
served nine years as a medic, with tours of duty in Italy, Germany, and
Kosovo during the height of the first Gulf War. When his green card
expired in 1999, a military judge ordered him to file for citizenship.
However, he was then told that because he served during peacetime, he
needed a valid green card. A year later he received an honorable
discharge, and has been in limbo ever since. Immigration and Customs
Enforcement has begun deportation proceedings. "My husband has been
here for more than 30 years," said his wife, Savitri, noting they have
two children, both U.S. citizens. "In his heart he's an American
citizen. It's just paperwork." (MS/New York Daily News, WABC-TV) ...And
in a bureaucracy, proper paperwork is more important than proper
respect.

oneyedranger
Whee!

Postby oneyedranger » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:09 am

Goofy that single post describes in a single example what has gone awry with this country.

Criploc
Whee!

Postby Criploc » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:30 pm

It's the frigging liberal democrats !

Serano
Whee!

Postby Serano » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Goofydoofy wrote:THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, NOW GET OUT: "I'm proud to be an American
soldier," said Ramdeo Chankarsingh, 44, of South Ozone Park, N.Y. He
was promised if he served in the military he would be given
citizenship, so the Trinidad native enlisted in the Army in 1991 and
served nine years as a medic, with tours of duty in Italy, Germany, and
Kosovo during the height of the first Gulf War. When his green card
expired in 1999, a military judge ordered him to file for citizenship.
However, he was then told that because he served during peacetime, he
needed a valid green card. A year later he received an honorable
discharge, and has been in limbo ever since. Immigration and Customs
Enforcement has begun deportation proceedings. "My husband has been
here for more than 30 years," said his wife, Savitri, noting they have
two children, both U.S. citizens. "In his heart he's an American
citizen. It's just paperwork." (MS/New York Daily News, WABC-TV) ...And
in a bureaucracy, proper paperwork is more important than proper
respect.

I raise the bullshit flag. Back then - after only 3 years of service a non-native service member was eligible to apply for full citizenship - and the process would have taken less than a year. It is obvious from the data provided that this Soldier waited until the last minute and then cried foul. THE Process From the 80s thru the late 90s was that when the Soldier's first enlistment was up his hand was held to help him get his citizenship squared away before his 2nd opportunity to re-enlist came up. This guy obviously waived / failed to seek this opportunity and when his time to file and apply for citizenship was passed he all the sudden became the victim. When I was a Platoon leader in the late 90s (98-99) my platoon Sergeant was a naturalized American. He was born in Jamaica and enlisted under a green card. At the end of his first enlistment he submitted for American citizenship - and before his second enlistment was up he was naturalized - no problem at all. My platoon at the time had four non - American serving. A Canadian, English, Dominican, and another Jamaican. They were fully updated with the naturalization process, and at the time, none were actually pursuing citizenship. So the bottom line is - this guy didn't seek it when it was offered to him, and when he had used up his green card he cried. No sympathy.

As a side note, my platoon sergeant was replaced by a Trinidad feller, that had also started in the 80s and had applied for his citizenship and it was granted.

Today the process is even easier.

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Serano speaks truth. When I was down in Hood we had a lot of Mexicans and guys from point further south. All these guys had to do to get started on the citizenship trail was to call JAG. It was pretty easy for them when they wanted it.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

oneyedranger
Whee!

Postby oneyedranger » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:05 pm

actually it is true it is in an army times article

Loendar
Whee!

Postby Loendar » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:43 am

Tarvas wrote:
Loendar wrote:Just so I'm clear...

Limbaugh and Beck have nothing to do with how the process works. The Fiscal Year ends on September 30th of every year. Who owned the House of Representatives in September of 2010? Who owned the Senate in Septmeber of 2010? This is more "punting" by liberals on the issues. They refused to pass a budget for FY11 why? All I hear is crickets whenever this question is asked. It is incredibily short-sighted not lay blame where blame is due.

No - they have nothing to do with how the process works BUT they have a lot of comments to make about it that they pass off as facts. You seemed to side-step the comment I made in my post which points out that even holding the majority in Congress the Democrats wouldn't/shouldn't pass a budget without the support of the Republicans. You are making the claim that you would have been perfectly happy with them forcing through a budget last year and I call BS on you for that.

IF they had pushed through a budget last year you would be sitting here (along with Beck and Limbaugh, etc) bemoaning the fact that the Republicans had no hand in it and that it should be repealed and replaced with something else.

For the record, though I'm not a Republican (nor Democrat really, I vote based on the person and the issues - I support Walker in WI and his anti-Union stance) - I *do* listen to their shows to find out what they are currently spouting. I have heard Beck on numerous occasions spout the same ill-informed rhetoric that is reflected in the original message of the thread. There is no way in Hell that the Republicans would have been okay with a forced budget last year and their inability to compromise last year through this past week makes them just as responsible for the fix we are in.

Sevex
Whee!

Postby Sevex » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:01 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... ral_budget

About 2/3s of US spending is defense, social security, and medicare/medicaid. $1.5T overbudget. The only choices are 1) reduce spending, 2) increase taxes, or 3) some combination of the two. The sooner we make the tough choices, the better.

How many of you are currently spending 1.5x the money you make each month?

The decision makers... hahaha! They only make decisions when there is a crisis. This is reactive, not proactive, governing. All those Congressional millionaires sit in DC making decisions for the rest of us with their nice salaries, expense accounts, and pensions. These guys really are serving "the people"...

1800s - the place to be - UK
1900s - the place to be - US
2000s - the place to be - Asia

Get ready for even more mediocrity. Whatever greatness and ability to sacrifice we had is gone. GAME OVER!

Meso
Whee!

Postby Meso » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:33 am

"Limbaugh and Beck have nothing to do with how the process works."
That might be true if not for the hoardes of sheeple/parrots that take those two buffoons rantings as gospel. The majority of republicans come off as Whiney-assed morons with no real thoughts of their own. I am equal opportunity though, I don't much like the democrats either.

"About 2/3s of US spending is defense"
Republican doctrine - the same people that want to cut spending and reduce social programs.
Wouldn't it make more sense to be nice to others? Noooo, piss off the rest of the world so we have to go bankrupt watching our back.
When was the last time Switzerland was at war?

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:40 am

I'd prefer to pull our military back and put them along our southern border...
Glauri

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:50 am

Okay, Democrats are right. It is the Republicans fault that a budget was not passed for FY11 in September of 2010. It was the Republicans fault that the Democrats did not even bring the bills to the floor for a vote. It was the Republicans fault that the Democrats were able to vote and pass healthcare and Wall Street reform against intense opposition. I bow before the collective wisdom of the Democratic Party and renounce here and now the entire Republican Party for failing to pass a budget that was never brought to the floor for a vote. Shame on you Republicans for not using your minority of 41 to 59 (Liberman - I) Senators and 179 to 255 Congresssheeples to force a budget through the Congress.

Please forgive me for trying to blame the Democratic Party for failing to pass a budget for political reasons.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Loendar
Whee!

Postby Loendar » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:57 am

Tarvas wrote:Okay, Democrats are right. It is the Republicans fault that a budget was not passed for FY11 in September of 2010. It was the Republicans fault that the Democrats did not even bring the bills to the floor for a vote. It was the Republicans fault that the Democrats were able to vote and pass healthcare and Wall Street reform against intense opposition. I bow before the collective wisdom of the Democratic Party and renounce here and now the entire Republican Party for failing to pass a budget that was never brought to the floor for a vote. Shame on you Republicans for not using your minority of 41 to 59 (Liberman - I) Senators and 179 to 255 Congresssheeples to force a budget through the Congress.

Please forgive me for trying to blame the Democratic Party for failing to pass a budget for political reasons.

If you read anything that was being said you would realize that this isn't a Dem or Repub issue - it is BOTH of them. I'm not saying that the Republicans are at fault for the budget issue, I'm saying that both parties are at fault for their inability to compromise on this and every other issue.

Your continued assertion that the Democrats should have pushed through a budget in 2011 without bi-partisan support and that somehow that would have flown with the Republican party shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the political process.