new computer... Will This Run EQ?

Moderator: Littlabit

Qurillanea
Whee!

new computer... Will This Run EQ?

Postby Qurillanea » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Yeah for the Tax Return.

Building both me and the wife brand new computers. Probably will be doing them both identical because its so much easier to build multiple comps if you have the same stuff in them.

My Delicious large LCD is dying so these will be getting everything - this setup includes monitor, some speakers, headset, even a surge protector.

Case : Cooler Master HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/Plastic ATX Full Tower
MOBO : ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU : AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7 GHz Turbo 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
GPU : SAPPHIRE 100312SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
GPU2 : SAPPHIRE 100312SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
RAM : CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
PSU : CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12v v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Modular...
XCOOL : CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler

MEDIA : Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB Port
OPTIC : ASUS DRW-24b!st/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - bulk - OEM

HDD1 : Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/S 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
HDD2 : Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/S 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

LCD : ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor
SPKR : Cyber Acoustics Platinum Series CA-3618 12 Watts RMS 2.1 High Performance Speaker System
HSET : Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 USB Connector Circumaural Stereo Headset
KBRD : Logitech G510 Black USB Wired Gaming Keyboard
MOUSE : Logitech G9x Black Two Modes Scroll USB Wired Laser Gaming Mouse
MSPAD : steelseries 63005SS QcK mini Mouse Pad - OEM

SURGE : CyberPower 850 6 Feet 8 Outlets 2400 Joules Home/Office Surge Protection

----
Before doing additional shopping around this will run..

$2320.18
After instant rebates it drops to about $2150-$2175 and after mail in rebates it gets to around $2050.00

Something similar from something like alienware or dell... would be uh...more.

Note the case has crazy good air flow and tons of GIANT fans. I built Jumjams new computer a while ago using the HAF. its huge but its wonderful.

Also note the ATI 6950 cards in crossfire - The reference model of the 6950 is actually build on a 6970 with the extra shaders disabled. A simple bios flash and they turn into fully functioning 6970s because they have a physical switch on that particular model that lets you turn off the protection to keep people from modding the cards bios. This means I get 2x 6970 cards for the price of 2x 6950 cards.. about 200+ in savings.

Corsair H50 aftermarket cooling is actually liquid cooling but its pimp. Works like a standard heatsink except its a fully self contained waterblock and radiator - the radiator can be attached to part of your case to suck in outside air instead of the warmer air inside the case.

I may tweak this loadout more but its pretty close to what I want. I am CONSIDERING doing additional mods on the video cards though, aftermarket heatsink/fan combos to replace the basic reference equipment that comes on it. But I can always do that LATER after I see my temps. 6900s dont run that hot, at least compared to 400/500 geforce models.

Any other geeks want to comment?

Will this run EQ?
LLIZ, THE RAGING ANIMIST OF KITHICOR! - LVL: 105, AA: Shameful

Phaydrus
Whee!

Re: new computer... Will This Run EQ?

Postby Phaydrus » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:25 am

Might want to check but I do not believe EQ is sli/crossfire compatable. I am in the process of ordering my new pc also if taxes ever get in. BTW that comp is WAY over kill for EQ, lol.

Bilnick
Whee!

Postby Bilnick » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:39 pm

If you are only going to play EQ on your PC, you don't need to spend more than $650-$800 tops. Dual core processor, 512mb-1gb graphics card, 4GB+ of RAM, and you will be fine. EQ still runs fine on my 8 year old Pentium 4 system, though admittedly not as good as my more modern PCs.

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:08 pm

Bilnick wrote:If you are only going to play EQ on your PC, you don't need to spend more than $650-$800 tops. Dual core processor, 512mb-1gb graphics card, 4GB+ of RAM, and you will be fine. EQ still runs fine on my 8 year old Pentium 4 system, though admittedly not as good as my more modern PCs.

You play EQ?
Alan
I'm a Tank!
Punked, Carvas, Harvas, Cayleb

Qurillanea
Whee!

Postby Qurillanea » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:50 pm

lol if all I did was play eq (and similar era games) I wouldn't spend that much. But I theres lots of newer stuff I play with. And I want SKYRIM TO LOOK AMAZING. And other lovely things.. mmm.. and rendering..mmm. Fun times.

oneyedranger
Whee!

Postby oneyedranger » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:46 am

Just hurry back and get back into game.

Bilnick
Whee!

Postby Bilnick » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:10 am

Qurillanea wrote:lol if all I did was play eq (and similar era games) I wouldn't spend that much. But I theres lots of newer stuff I play with. And I want SKYRIM TO LOOK AMAZING. And other lovely things.. mmm.. and rendering..mmm. Fun times.

The topic title asked about EQ, so I based my answer on that. So yes, that PC you specified should run EQ just fine.

If I wanted to spend $2200+ on a gaming rig, I think I would get a 54" 1080p plasma ($1100), Xbox 360($200), PS3($300), and a $600-$800 PC and be set.

Serano
Whee!

Postby Serano » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:30 pm

EQ runs on Crossfire thingy - two vid card deal? yah - I have that in my computer and EQ runs.

Funny thing is my computer is officially the first gaming rig I have ever run, and I barely game now.

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:04 am

Loooser
Alan
I'm a Tank!
Punked, Carvas, Harvas, Cayleb

Qurillanea
Whee!

Postby Qurillanea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:33 am

nuh uh! YOU ARE!

Qurillanea
Whee!

Postby Qurillanea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:41 am

Bilnick wrote:
Qurillanea wrote:lol if all I did was play eq (and similar era games) I wouldn't spend that much. But I theres lots of newer stuff I play with. And I want SKYRIM TO LOOK AMAZING. And other lovely things.. mmm.. and rendering..mmm. Fun times.

The topic title asked about EQ, so I based my answer on that. So yes, that PC you specified should run EQ just fine.

If I wanted to spend $2200+ on a gaming rig, I think I would get a 54" 1080p plasma ($1100), Xbox 360($200), PS3($300), and a $600-$800 PC and be set.

where the hella re you finding a 54" for 1100?

Oh wait no you said plasma that might be it..

Bilnick
Whee!

Postby Bilnick » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:43 am

Panasonic plasma G2 series I think. No LCD can touch them for picture quality...LED lit or fluorescent lit. Plasmas are heavier and a bit thicker. For me though picture quality is most important

Qurillanea
Whee!

Postby Qurillanea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:41 am

led/flourescent lcds use a crapton less power though! lol

Bilnick
Whee!

Postby Bilnick » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:40 pm

That is one of the disadvantages of a plasma set. I think I read somewhere it was like a $40-$50 per year difference for equal sized plasma and LCD sets. Most people probably wouldn't notice a $3-$4 per month difference in their electric bill.

I checked my 50" plasma and it uses 560 watts. I think most 50"+ LCDs are 200 watts or so.

Zantetsuken
Iron Cutting Sword

Postby Zantetsuken » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:43 pm

do the plasma's still have burn ins?
Lightbringer Zantetsuken
"Men in battle, do not need women. My love is my Sword!" - The Almighty Dekar from Lufia II
Axe Master Verige
"The weak only strive to be weaker." - Magus from Chrono Trigger

Qurillanea
Whee!

Postby Qurillanea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:03 pm

Zantetsuken wrote:do the plasma's still have burn ins?

Probably. And they cost more to run.

Bilnick
Whee!

Postby Bilnick » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Zantetsuken wrote:do the plasma's still have burn ins?

No. Burn in is a thing of the past.

Yes they cost more to run, but they are often hundreds cheaper to buy initially, and have a superior picture. So spending $300-400 less on a better TV, and then paying it back to the electric company over the course of 8-10 years $3-4 a month seems like a good deal to me.

My basic rules for TVs is this.......

If you want a small HDTV say 46" and below, get LCD as that is all there is in that size.

Medium to large TVs...ie 46" to 65" get plasma. Best picture, best bang for the buck. If you want to hang a TV above the fireplace get a LCD.....then again if you mount a TV above a fireplace you don't really care that much about a high quality TV viewing experience anyway, as above the fireplace is one of the worst spots to put a TV.

Above 65" DLP is the only real choice. Either a projector and screen or one of Mitsubishi's DLP rear projector sets. There are 73", 82", and this year, 92" models available. Mitsubishi DLPs are probably the cheapest way to get a 3D TV. There is not much 3D content available yet (if ever). Gran Turismo 5 does look great in 3D though........ A basement theater with a 120" screen is quite the experience.

Qurillanea
Whee!

Postby Qurillanea » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:42 pm

burn in still exists. Most plasma screens have built in/programmed protections that help them to resist it, but they're not immune. But its mostly a non issue unless you're dumb and dont break the screen in properly.

yeah i've been eyeing projectors... and MAN I totally forgot GT5 supports 3D... man i need 3D now..

Qurillanea
Whee!

Postby Qurillanea » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:53 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6889248057

850 down from 1000. hrm. and 60 inches..jeeez. oh AND 3D ready.

Bilnick
Whee!

Postby Bilnick » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Qurillanea wrote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889248057

850 down from 1000. hrm. and 60 inches..jeeez. oh AND 3D ready.

Go bigger!!! http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-73638-73-Inch-1080p-3D-Ready/dp/B003JH7KT0/ref=pd_cp_e_1 There is an 82" version, but it is way more expensive (but still under 3k). There is a 92" version coming out this spring/summer. 73" seems to be the sweet spot for price/value.

I have a couple of older 73" versions of that set. One of them is 3D ready, so I bought the converter kit and some glasses. (newer sets don't need the converter box iirc). GT5 is pretty sweet in 3D, I also have Superstardust in 3D. Pretty impressive. Supposedly Black Ops can be played in 3D as well, but I have that on Xbox 360 and haven't tried it out yet.

There is not a ton of 3D content out there. I have 3 or 4 3D channels from DirecTV, and mostly it is documentaries, concerts, and nature shows. ESPN shows a game or two a week in 3d. Alot of 3D Blue Rays are tied up in exclusive deals, ie. to see Avatar in 3D, you need to buy a Panasonic 3D TV. 3D is not something I use every day, but it is neat.

As far as burn in on plasma sets, maybe it still exists if you leave a set on ESPN 24/7 and the score scroll on the bottom may have some image retention. The plasma set I bough over a year ago has never had a case of image retention, and I play Xbox360/PS3/Wii on it regularly.

kCii
Whee!

Postby kCii » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:29 pm

thx nick

appreciate the info!

kC

Serano
Whee!

Postby Serano » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:28 pm

interesting, I find the LCD picture quality to be sharper and more amazing than Plasma.

Bilnick
Whee!

Postby Bilnick » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Somehow I am not surprised!!!!

Emarinn
Whee!

Postby Emarinn » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:25 pm

We've got an LED and I'm VERY happy with it. We almost chose an LCD tv instead, but when it was side by side with the LED, the LED won hands down. Plasma always looks a little weird to me...might just be my imagination though! :)
<Someday, I'll update my magelo...but just not today!>
Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Bilnick
Whee!

Postby Bilnick » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:54 am

LED TV is a LCD.

LED LCDs use LEDs instead of fluorescent lamps to backlight the TV.

LED LCDs have a couple advantages over fluorescent lit LCDs. LEDs use a little less power, they can be thinner, and depending on the type of LED LCD the set can shut off some of the LEDs to get deeper looking blacks.

Plasmas are still the best at blacker blacks though. When plasmas show black, it can shut off the pixel....no light coming from it. A LCD blacks out the pixel, but still has the backlight (LED or fluorescent) blazing behind it and some light always leaks through. Plasma TVs have better viewing angles as well, which can be important in a living room where all couches and seats are not directly in front of the TV.

One more piece of advice......please, please, please, please don't go to a store like Best Buy, Frys, Costco, etc. and pick out the "best looking picture" from the rack of sets thy have there. Almost every set has a "store mode" or torch mode, which cranks up the brightness and color to insane levels to attract customers. I guess if you live in a warehouse with 25 foot ceilings and rows and rows of fluorescent lights overhead, and your TV stand is 5 feet tall like the top shelf at BB, then Best Buy is a good place to comparison shop. My plasma TVs store mode will give you a sunburn it is so bright. No way I would have bought it if that was the only information I had when picking out a set.

Review sites like CNET where reviewers actually have a controlled environment to evaluate the TV is better than going to Frys and picking one out. The AVS forums are an excellent resource as well. Of course if you know someone who actually has a TV you are interested in, and will let you look at it, that would be the best way.

oneyedranger
Whee!

Postby oneyedranger » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:21 am

light emmiting diode display and liquid crystal display are two different things.

Bilnick
Whee!

Postby Bilnick » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:06 am

oneyedranger wrote:light emmiting diode display and liquid crystal display are two different things.

You are probably thinking of OLED or AMOLED, which is different than LCD. AMOLED is a very nice display, my Zune HD has one. The AMOLED displays are not used on many TVs because they are expensive. The largest displays are around 15".

OLED displays are very nice though, the recently discontinued Zune HD has one, comparing it to my daughters older Ipod the OLED display was much brighter and vibrant.

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46C6300-46-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/tech-data/B0036WT4C4/ref=de_a_smtd which is what most people call a LED TV, is just a LCD TV with LED backlighting.

Qurillanea
Whee!

Postby Qurillanea » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:57 am

yeah my galaxy s vibrant phone has a Super Amoled. Its GORGEOUS HD on a phone. But yeah its expensive. In both price and POWER consumption. Almost all battery use on that phone is the screen if you use it for anything more than the occasional call (and if you have that phone and only call on it once in a great while, why have that phone?)

Serano
Whee!

Postby Serano » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:40 pm

Bilnick wrote:LED TV is a LCD.

LED LCDs have a couple advantages over fluorescent lit LCDs. LEDs use a little less power, they can be thinner, and depending on the type of LED LCD the set can shut off some of the LEDs to get deeper looking blacks.

Plasmas are still the best at blacker blacks though. When plasmas show black, it can shut off the pixel....no light coming from it. A LCD blacks out the pixel, but still has the backlight (LED or fluorescent) blazing behind it and some light always leaks through. Plasma TVs have better viewing angles as well, which can be important in a living room where all couches and seats are not directly in front of the TV.

One more piece of advice......please, please, please, please don't go to a store like Best Buy, Frys, Costco, etc. and pick out the "best looking picture" from the rack of sets thy have there. Almost every set has a "store mode" or torch mode, which cranks up the brightness and color to insane levels to attract customers. I guess if you live in a warehouse with 25 foot ceilings and rows and rows of fluorescent lights overhead, and your TV stand is 5 feet tall like the top shelf at BB, then Best Buy is a good place to comparison shop. My plasma TVs store mode will give you a sunburn it is so bright. No way I would have bought it if that was the only information I had when picking out a set.

Review sites like CNET where reviewers actually have a controlled environment to evaluate the TV is better than going to Frys and picking one out. The AVS forums are an excellent resource as well. Of course if you know someone who actually has a TV you are interested in, and will let you look at it, that would be the best way.

So I just need to find out how to set up my TV to showroom settings!

Bilnick
Whee!

Postby Bilnick » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Serano wrote:
Bilnick wrote:LED TV is a LCD.

So I just need to find out how to set up my TV to showroom settings!

Yes, and buy the Monster brand cables and Bose stuff while you are at it.......(2 other pet peeves of mine)