Government

Moderator: Littlabit

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Government

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:12 am

So, I turned in a application to the city a few days ago. And this is the little story I have to tell, which is a perfect example of how the government works.

As I was discussing the application with human resources, the phone rang. The lady proceeded in answering the phone and I could hear her explaining that the fax machine was down and she could scan the documents and email them to her. I was thinking to myself, fax machine down? Must be broken and not repairable. But sheez, you are 5 mins away from Office Depot. Somebody should go spend $80 and get a new one so all these man hours are not wasted explaining the situtation over and over and over to everybody who tries to fax something and then having to sort thru all the extra emails and printing everything and dealing with all the attachment problems, etc. etc.

Once the phone conversation was finished, about 5 minutes later, we finished up our conversation. As she was apologizing for the interuption, she explained that at the start of the day a page got stuck in the fax machine. She tried pulling it out but it just tore. So, she had to put a call into maintenance to get somebody down there to fix it. Which would be sometime the next day.

I thought to myself, wow, your tax dollars at work. In a department such as human resources for a city, there was not one person who would push two buttons on the machine to open the cover and manually rotate the gears to feed the torn paper out of the machine. I've never been a copy machine repairman, but anytime there has been a problem at any job I've worked at with a copy machine, I would open it up and figure out the problem and fix it myself, if possible. And copy machines can be pretty complicated when you are dealing with the huge ones.

I guess that is the perfect example of how things work today. Nobody makes any effort to figure anything out and do something above and beyond their job. It boggles my mind how those people can have a job in a office, yet have no idea how to use office equipment.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Atzanik
Whee!

Re: Government

Postby Atzanik » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:03 am

Sadly, it's much more common place than you would think.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImage

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:16 am

I think it has to do with a choice not to be personally responsible and sadly the 'system' encourages this attitude.
Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
Glauri

Meso
Whee!

Postby Meso » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:48 am

she might break a nail

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:41 pm

It because she and many other people in this country like her are fools. The capacity for lazy stupidity in this country is amazing and it sad that a lot of these people end up in government jobs.
Alan
I'm a Tank!
Punked, Carvas, Harvas, Cayleb

kCii
Whee!

Postby kCii » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:45 pm

i believe its referred to as bureaucracy~

welcome to the jungle

kC

FaeveeAngel
Whee!

Postby FaeveeAngel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 am

Glauri wrote:I think it has to do with a choice not to be personally responsible and sadly the 'system' encourages this attitude.

Exactly to points of ridiculous extremes like this

Serano
Whee!

Postby Serano » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:08 pm

YOu prolly should have driven in fixed the machine - and ask how that application was coming.

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:34 am

I thought about asking her if she wanted me to fix it , but then I realized I would just be enabling her stupidity.

I was passed over for somebody "in-house" anyway. Every city and county job I have applied for has ended with that result. They shouldn't even open applications to outside people when they have no inclination to hire them.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:08 pm

I hear McDonald's is hiring
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:55 pm

They shouldn't even open applications to outside people when they have no inclination to hire them.
I'm certain that they do this because some obscure Federal regulation requires it! I worked for the Feds for a long, long time and our 'bids' were supposedly open to outside folks too, except that (1) you needed the specialized experience that only the job itself provided and (2) you had to pay your own relocation expenses, effectively excluding anyone not in the local area. It's all just a huge taxpayer-supported shell game.
Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
Glauri

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Federal contracts are the same way. You must have 3 bids in before your allowed to go with one contractor even if the contractor with the lowest bid isn't in the immediate area. It how alot of CA stuff designed to improve the local economy in Iraq got screwed up. The contractors from Turkey were cheaper than the local Iraqi ones.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Qurillanea
Whee!

Postby Qurillanea » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:45 pm

mmm.. turkey..
LLIZ, THE RAGING ANIMIST OF KITHICOR! - LVL: 105, AA: Shameful