Need computer hepl!

Moderator: Littlabit

Glauri
Whee!

Need computer hepl!

Postby Glauri » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:55 am

I finally figured out that my graphics card was dying. So, I replaced my 2 GeForce GTX8800s with a single Radeon HD5770. However, I cannot get the mouse/keyboard to work at all -- not the wireless ones I used to use, nor the hard-wired ones I dragged out and plugged in. Any ideas?
Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
Glauri

Tandt
Whee!

Re: Need computer hepl!

Postby Tandt » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:10 pm

If they are PS2 mouse / kbd then turn the PC off and make sure they are in the correct holes... Yes you can put them in reversed.

Purple should be keyboard and Green is mouse.

Your computer must be turned OFF to hook up or changes these ports.

IF they are USB its possable that the bios reset and disabled usb keyboard / mouse functionality. IF this happened you will need a PS2 keyboard to go into the bios and set it back up.
Tandt Dmight
105 Warrior
:rr:
Its not big hair, Its my Helmet!

Boss mobs dont kill people, Clerics kill people!!

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:28 pm

I have my PS2 keyboard and PS2 mouse hooked up to it. I have full use of the keyboard in the BIOS. But when I get to the WinXP screen that wants me to logon as Admin (or whatever) --- there is that huge white arrow mid-screen, and both the mouse and keyboard are totally non-functional.

Now, it won't even load that far...stops at mup.sys file and reboots. Guess I gotta unhook everything and haul it somewhere to get it fixed. So...guess I won't be logging in for a week or more. Y'all have fun and win great lewts!
Glauri

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:38 pm

You can try to do it yourself if you're feeling motivated. mup.sys restarts seem to be a fairly common occurrence.

Tandt
Whee!

Postby Tandt » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:04 pm

can you reboot and push F8 at the bios screen?? Keep tapping F8 till you get the windows boot menu. Try selecting last known good configuration setting. If it lets you into windows, great go to device manager uninstall the videocard reboot and let windows reinstall it on next boot.

You can also try safe mode from the boot menu. If none of these work, you can boot off youir XP CD and let windows repair its self *** WARNING*** If you choose to use this method, more than 50 % of your programs will most likely need to be reinstalled. All of yoiur data will be there the programs will just not work unless reinstalled.
Tandt Dmight
105 Warrior
:rr:
Its not big hair, Its my Helmet!

Boss mobs dont kill people, Clerics kill people!!

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:13 pm

I had seen that link Omm, but was leery of attempting it. Now however that I have YOU to blame for failure...I will give it a try. I'm not expecting much in the way of results though, so if it's a week or more until I'm back raiding, y'all know why. :?

I would let XP try to reinstall over itself from the CD, but I think that since what is on the comp is quite a bit newer than what is on the years old CD, even that might not work. I definitely do NOT want to reformat. About all that's on the C drive of interest is EQ and a few other online games; my docs etc. are stashed on the D drive. But I really don't want to load up EQ from scratch, and lose all of my files in the bargain.

I will of course keep y'all updated on this sad saga as it plays out!
Glauri

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Well, one especially interesting (to me, anyway) point that the article makes is that it is not necessarily mup.sys that is causing the problem, but actions that take place after that particular filename is displayed.

Further, since it offers new hardware as a possible cause (certainly true in your case), that's where I would start looking.

Indeed, since failing power supply is listed as another possible culprit, we have to at least concede the possibility that your original video card was not in fact failing because it had died, but was failing because the p/s was no longer able to feed it. That is, the symptoms of the power supply going south were expressed in the video card.

So, I think I'd start by unplugging all the USB devices, and anything else that would draw power. See if that makes a difference. Then, switch to your old video card (or, better yet, onbard video (which needs to die)*) and see what that does.

Given that your issues started with hardware problems, I'd look for hardware changes as a solution first, before fussing with registry recovery. (Which isn't to say we can conclusively rule out the registry, but I'd focus on hardware first.)

And no rush, you still have 21 hours yet to get it going. Edit: 20 hours, 53 minutes.

* Sorry Bobbert.

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:11 pm

The only devices on that comp are keyboard, mouse, video cable to monitor, LAN cable and printer cable. Not much unplugging to be done.

When I load either of the two old (bad) video cards (I had a pair in crossfire mode), I either get a completely pixelated screen or a partially pixelated screen depending on which of the two cards I install. But as to loading Windows, I get no further than with the new card. When I install the new video card, the display is perfect...I just can't seem to get anywhere with it! lol

I ran chkdsk /p /r and it said it fixed ... something. Currently running it again from my XP CD in Recovery mode.

Ya know, I picked up a new pistol today and am seriously thinking that the first rounds ought to go straight into this machine! Grrrrr.
Glauri

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Meh, but now we have two video cards failing at the same time. Though, I guess since they were physically connected that them both choking isn't completely out of the question.

But still, I'm a bit suspicious.

The chkdsk /r is a bad sector check. (bad sector! naughty sector!) If it's fixing bad sectors, I can certainly see that causing the lockout (depending on where said sectors where physically located). However, the combination of dead GPU x 2 + bad sectors concerns me.

(20h, 31 minutes.)

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Is it just me, or did DOS 3.2 really run chkdsk this slowly? lol
Glauri

oneyedranger
Whee!

Postby oneyedranger » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:18 am

yes it did and look at the hard drive sizes now.

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:39 pm

I tried everything! I surrender!

I took it to the shop. I don't expect to hear from them until Fri/Sat at the earliest. Their chief tech is out all next week doing crap for buying a house -- and the owner refuses to call him extolling the virtues of apartment dwelling!

I have an all day shooting class tomorrow, in spite of the torrential downpour. So I'm likely to be sick all week anyhow.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I just something short of a format c: can be done to get it up and running again.
Glauri

Balzzodar
Captain Canary Saves the Day!

Postby Balzzodar » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Ill take your old video cards if you are just gonna throw them away! =) I may be able to get one working!

Oh btw you didnt have 2 Geforce cards running in crossfire mode .. it would have been SLI :lol:
"A pun is the lowest form of humor, unless you thought of it yourself." — Doug Larson

Balzzodar Dabard, Officer for Celestial Navigators
Facebook

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:47 pm

You are right Balzzo...SLI. Right now, the computer store has the two cards...but if they just leave the new Radeon 5770 I got in place, and that proves sufficient, I'll be glad to ship the both of them out to ya.

I was sooo hoping that all this initially was the fault of the monitor. Naturally, I have a spare one of those! /sigh I feel so beat up by that machine! It's not even close to new (prolly about 6 years old), but works well enough for the games I play.

I sure do miss raiding already! I hear Tybor is back!! <hugs> WRU kC??
Glauri

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:48 pm

I have one hour left on focus. Better hurry them up.

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:06 pm

Haha Omm. You know of course that Nlannie plays Glauri better than I do!! Must have something to do with wearing a DRESS while on his own toon. :roll:

You know I love ya Austin!!
Glauri

Balzzodar

Postby Balzzodar » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:38 am

Well i hope all goes well with the puter Glauri we all miss you at the raids! somehow i died even more often with you not there(not sure if that was possible but it is!) haha im kidding Warador did a fine job of die er i mean healing :lol:

Anyways id be happy to pay for shipping those cards, we will talk when ya get yer puter probs solved! Just dont let the puter shop boys keep your old cards~!
"A pun is the lowest form of humor, unless you thought of it yourself." — Doug Larson

Facebook

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:32 pm

Update:

Looks like a week more before I get my machine back. It'll have a new video card, a new primary HD, and a new PS...and I'll have several hundred dollars less. It is unknown yet how much of what was on C: will be salvageable, so can't promise to raid next week at all.

This is the first time in my life w/computers (since 'round about '87 or so) that I've had a HD go TU on me, and it happened on a normally reliable Velociraptor 10k drive. Ah well.

Keep kicking butt and please figure out those new encounters before I return...so I can just stroll in casting my empty macros! :)
Glauri

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:37 pm

CNP is dropped after, what, 14 days, right? I can't remember.

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:47 pm

CNP is dropped after, what, 14 days, right? I can't remember.
Figures...

Actually (especially if I have to reload/rebuild my EQ stuff) I figured I'd have to re-app, and since y'all have at least one stellar shaman app...I'd likely not get in. :cry:
Glauri

Bumelor
Whee!

Postby Bumelor » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Glauri,

Your shoes can not be filled! Balzzodar tells me "Glauri individually checks us for buffs", when I had failed to notice that he did not have shaman buffs. I assumed that he also got Janor's Unity rk3 that he cast on our group moments before but I guess he didn't. Anywho, because of your leet shaman skillz, I am forced to better mine! I will be checking individually next time! This proves you must come back...you are needed and wanted! :D

Your shaman buddy,

-Bumelor

Balzzodar

Postby Balzzodar » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:08 pm

:lol: did i also tell you she does this check every 3 or 4 minutes? 8)

Facebook

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:49 pm

did i also tell you she does this check every 3 or 4 minutes?
Or, in Balzzy's case...every 3 or 4 minutes until his next death. :wink:
Glauri

Nlannie
Mindless Lemming

Postby Nlannie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:49 am

don't worry glauri i played you last night and killed everyone multiple times, i think girrin had 80 corpses

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:55 pm

i think girrin had 80 corpses
OMG! So, I guess it's safe to say that he's unhappy being level 63 again? :?
Glauri

Bumelor
Whee!

Postby Bumelor » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:48 pm

Glauri, its not just other people he is killing. I did a /who all Glauri and I saw Glauri [56 Luminary]...Im sorry to be the one that had to break the news to you. Nlannie is a bad, bad man.... I say we only cast inner fire on him for now on!

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Bumelor...good point! And for the rest of guild who failed to prevent this catastrophe, nothing to be MGB'd other than True North!!

And just WHO "adjusted" my sig??? NLANNIE???
Glauri

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Glauri wrote:Bumelor...good point! And for the rest of guild who failed to prevent this catastrophe, nothing to be MGB'd other than True North!!

And just WHO "adjusted" my sig??? NLANNIE???

He even updated your magelo! How thoughtful of him!

Nlannie
Mindless Lemming

Postby Nlannie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Hey, 21 k hp 65 shaman has to be some kind of record, i don't understand why i'm not getting props or medals or whatnot

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:37 pm

Member of Mushrooms!! Has the world come to this??? Level 65??? Did Nlannie really kill me THAT many times? I get this strange feeling that I have entered the twilight zone.....
Glauri