Computer assistance PLEASE!!!

Moderator: Littlabit

Larulik
Whee!

Computer assistance PLEASE!!!

Postby Larulik » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:48 am

My computer is driving me nuts at the moment.. I recently bought and installed Windows 7 since Win XP was crapping out all over the place on me.. took 10 tries of running the anti-virus software to get rid of all the trojan horses and viruses that were on there (I thought I was doing a clean install but it didn't wipe the hard drive I guess...). I now have a clean hard drive, with a new OS on it, and all the parts are less than 2 years old (most less than 18 months), so the components shouldn't be an issue.

HOWEVER...most times when I boot up the computer, it takes about 60-120 seconds to start running a program that is installed. If it's web related, I have this same lag occurring any time I change the web page (and it's not internet related because other computers on the same router don't have this issue). Sometimes I can get the computer to run as it's supposed to, but only after I reboot it 5-10 times, and then it's still a crapshoot. Other times, I can get things started quickly, but it will lag out in the middle of whatever I'm typing or doing for 30 seconds or so, then pick up normally for a few minutes, then lag out again.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as what I can do to fix this issue, preferably without buying new software or components? At this point, I have no idea what the problem may be or how to fix it without buying a new hard drive and reinstalling everything from scratch..
"You know we're in trouble when the puller claims he can't see..."-Goofydoofy

Keldinaar
Whee!

Re: Computer assistance PLEASE!!!

Postby Keldinaar » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:02 am

I assume when you say
I now have a clean hard drive, with a new OS on it, and all the parts are less than 2 years old (most less than 18 months), so the components shouldn't be an issue.
that you mean you went back and formatted the hard drive then reinstalled everything again. Assuming that's accurate, the only thing I can think of that would cause an extremely slow boot up on a fresh install is a failing hard drive. As soon as you install your antivirus software you'll see a slowdown in boot time but it should be pretty consistent, not variable like you're describing (unless you add additional new software which will need to be scanned as well).

As for the lag-out's and programs stalling, that sounds like driver issues. Since you changed operating systems, ensure that all of the drivers you installed are for windows 7, not XP. Driver conflicts are one of the quickest ways I know of to start seeing weird behavior and unexplained crashes from your computer. The other possibility is that your equipment isn't up to running Windows 7. I know you said it's all only 18-24 months old but since you listed no specs on processor, memory, etc....it's hard to say. The requirements for W7 have been eased up versus Vista but are still higher than XP. It's unlikely, given the age of your gear, that this is the problem but it is possible.

Larulik
Whee!

Postby Larulik » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:33 am

I did not explicitly format the hard drive. First of all, I don't know how to do that. Second of all, I thought by installing a new OS, it automatically formatted the hard drive. By "clean hard drive" I mean that I ran the anti-virus enough times to get rid of all trojan horses, spyware, viruses, etc that were on there.

As far as getting drivers updated, I don't know how to go about getting new drivers for the hardware that I have. All of it was bought before Windows 7 was out (although Vista was in effect at that point). I have an HP Laserjet 1200 series printer, and the soundcard and video card were bought separately as well (video is GEForce 9600 I believe and soundcard is Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Audio). I have searched online for some of these drivers, but was having trouble finding/installing them based on what I found.

Laminate
Whee!

Postby Laminate » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:35 pm

did you install windows 7 while in windows xp? (did you put in the win7 disc while the computer was on in windows) or did you boot up from the win7 disc? for a good install you need to make sure you boot straight to the windows 7 disc and never go into xp for the install. You do this by turning the comp on with the cd in the drive and pressing some key that it should ask for before you go into windows (if the settings in the BIOS are set to boot from CD before booting from the HDD, if not you have to go in and change it) When you install it this way you must delete all files and partitions from the hard drive and reformat it (takes a few seconds thats it) before installing windows 7. This will ensure there are no problems from left over stuff on the computer. Once you do that you have to get whatever drivers arent automatically found.

Here are the drivers for the GeForce 9xxx series video cards, for windows 7 32-bit, im assuming thats what you have: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvi ... _whql.html

This should be the drivers for the Creative Sioundblaster X-Fi Extreme Audio for Windows 7 as well http://support.creative.com/downloads/d ... adId=10963

Windows 7 should automatically find the printer drivers and the other drivers for the computer on first boot or first plug in.
Elf Slayer Lamicrate Crenshinibon of Vazaelle
105 Halfling Rogue - <Celestial Navigators>
High Priestess Baelea of Vazaelle
105 High Elf Cleric - <Celestial Navigators>

Scribe Laminate The Ember
105 High Elf Enchanter - <Celestial Navigators>

-------------------------------------------------

Larulik
Whee!

Postby Larulik » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:40 pm

I did boot directly from the disk to install Win 7, but I do not know how to format the hard drive or delete partitions first. Thanks a lot for the links to the drivers.. I will try to install those when I get home..

Laminate
Whee!

Postby Laminate » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:19 pm

Right before it starts to install windows 7 in the setup is when it will ask you where you want to install windows 7.

I have some pics, This is after you "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD"

First off click next

Then click "Install Now"

Then Wait... lol

Then agree to the terms

This part is important. do not select upgrade, select Custom (advanced)!

This is where it wants to know where to install it

You have to click Drive Options (Advanced) in order to open the menu for other options!

This is the last picture i have, but you have to click on each partition and click delete. You will then have one drive with no partitions and unallocated space. You have to select that and click "New" to create a new partition. Windows 7 will make 2 partitions, one for system files and backups (100MB big) and one thats the rest of the hard drive for windows 7 to be installed on. you Then have to select the other partition (not the 100MB one) and click "Format" to format it. once its formatted, make sure its selected and click next. that's it. then you wait...

This should be it to the install. if you selected upgrade i would imagine problems to occur from that. If you want to keep files on your comp that you have right now i would suggest saving them to a flash drive or external hard drive, this kills everything on your hard drive, but it is the best way to keep it running smooth.

Larulik
Whee!

Postby Larulik » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:56 pm

thanks a lot for the input. I did go to custom but I left the partitions and never went into the options... I'll try reinstalling on the computer tonight.

Laminate
Whee!

Postby Laminate » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:04 pm

no problem i hope it all works out lemme know how it goes

obsessedwith
Whee!

Postby obsessedwith » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:17 am

IF you are only having lag in web related apps my bet is your running norton. It will get bugged out for some reason. i have always found it best to uninstall norton and install avg ^^

Larulik
Whee!

Postby Larulik » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:03 pm

I don't have norton.. running WebRoot or something like that.. it's not just lagged with web related apps; it's lagged when starting any app. It just continues the entire time if I run something web related (the lag generally goes away when working in Word or something similar)