Microsoft Vista....

Moderator: Littlabit

Larulik
Whee!

Microsoft Vista....

Postby Larulik » Tue May 12, 2009 5:28 pm

How crappy is this OS? my Windows XP is rapidly going to pot and I need to reinstall the crap.. I've heard nothing good about Vista but I can get it for $80, so I wanted to see what you guys and gals thought about it before buying it.
"You know we're in trouble when the puller claims he can't see..."-Goofydoofy

Borkin
Whee!

Re: Microsoft Vista....

Postby Borkin » Tue May 12, 2009 9:31 pm

I hate Vista ..I see nothing good about at all, its just a pita!!!!!
"Veni, vidi, vici" ~ Julius Caesar ~
(I came, I saw, I conquered)

Borkin: You seem a little irritable, Passum. You got some sand in your vagina?
Passum: There's no sand in my vagina!!!

Borkin Blackfart 85lv Warr
Bowfar Blackfart 85lv Cleric

Tandt
Whee!

Postby Tandt » Wed May 13, 2009 4:19 am

If you can wait till October of this year Windows 7 should be geting released then.
Tandt Dmight
105 Warrior
:rr:
Its not big hair, Its my Helmet!

Boss mobs dont kill people, Clerics kill people!!

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Wed May 13, 2009 5:25 am

I use Vista64 and have yet to have a problem with it - except it blocks access to my work network, and I consider that a plus

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Wed May 13, 2009 8:01 am

It would all depend on your computer system. It is a huge resource hog. So, if you have a older system, don't use it. If you have a strong system, then use it. Like most OS upgrades in groups of 2, the 2nd one is really nothing more then a overhaul of the looks. You really won't get anything special from Vista unless you are using 64 bit applications and more then 3GB of RAM. And like mentioned in a previous post, you may want to wait until Windows 7 comes out. It is supposed to be a refined Vista that doesn't suck resources as badly.

I personally would just reinstall XP over and over until I had a reason to do otherwise.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Keldinaar
Whee!

Postby Keldinaar » Wed May 13, 2009 8:17 am

I also use Vista 64 and have not had single issue with it in the year that I've been using it. That said, I'd follow Tandt's advise and hold off for Windows 7 if you can, the official release date is October 23. If you want to get started with it right away you can download the most current Release Candidate (RC) version of the OS and use it for free until the final version comes out. So far the reviews for Windows 7 have been very good, it appears to be everything that Vista was supposed to be without having such a high resource overhead.

Melinia.Spellteaser
Whee!

Postby Melinia.Spellteaser » Wed May 13, 2009 8:31 am

I've got Vista on my HP system. Pre-installed.
To start off with I did have problems running EQ1 & EQ2 on it. It took several patches from Sony for both games and Vista to do it's security patches for both to run smoothly.
Other than EQ1 not wanting to run at all on Vista initially, I have had no serious issues. i have yet to get a virus (knock on wood).
Vista does use a lot of resources. Expect it to use lots of your memory and video memory. I would suggest having at least 2 gigs of memory and a dedicated video card with some serious memory on it.
There is also the security annoyance with Vista. Every thing ya gotta "right click" then "run as administrator"... at least in my experience with programs.

Just my non-techy - 2cp
:teeth:

Tandt
Whee!

Postby Tandt » Wed May 13, 2009 9:14 am

Ive been running Windows 7 64bit Version 7000 for a few months now on desktop and laptop.. Ever since i installed it (Duel boot with XP) i have not gone back to XP.. Yes i like it that much. Its not a resource hog and its extremly fast. No issues with EQ or anyother programs so far.
Tandt Dmight
105 Warrior
:rr:
Its not big hair, Its my Helmet!

Boss mobs dont kill people, Clerics kill people!!

Larulik
Whee!

Postby Larulik » Wed May 13, 2009 2:02 pm

My version of XP isn't exactly one that's kosher (as far as I know)...my brother-in-law installed it and didn't tell me anything about where it's from, so I don't know. Otherwise, I'd have no problem reinstalling XP.

As far as Windows 7, I'm not sure if my wife's school will have a student version available at a deep discount. I don't want to pay $500 for a damn OS that really shouldn't need to be replaced to begin with.
"You know we're in trouble when the puller claims he can't see..."-Goofydoofy

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Wed May 13, 2009 2:14 pm

Go to windows update and see if it will let you download updates. Or, try to download Word, Excel, or Powerpoint Viewers (Latest versions). That will require you to see if you have a valid copy or not. If not, you can pay $100 to get a code to make it valid. I'm not sure if doing this will screw up a pirated copy or not. Somebody else may want to chime in on that. If it does, then maybe don't do it.

I had a pirated copy a couple years ago and did it. I got the message and bought the code and they also sent me a disc of Windows XP Professional. I don't recall it disabling any working functions in the OS when it determined it was pirated, but I don't remember for sure.

I figured I've been using pirated copies of Microsoft OSes since DoS was around so I'd just pay em $100 for the trouble.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server