Computer problems are F U N (ya right)

Moderator: Littlabit

Melinia.Spellteaser
Whee!

Computer problems are F U N (ya right)

Postby Melinia.Spellteaser » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:03 am

Hoping to pick peoples brains.. 2 issues
Issue A on my Dell (XP OS)... I got hit with the Win32/Netsky.Q worm. This is what it has done. It creates a false security pop up that sends you to a bogus "spyware" program site. (No, I didnt download the bogus spyware). It also disables various spywares (spybot/spyware doctor). It prevents internet usage, redirecting you to the bogus site. I have downloaded about 7 different spyware programs on my vista machine onto a thumb drive. used the thumb drive to install the programs. Most of the programs find the worm but want $$ to fix it. since these are lil programs with no rep to my knowledge, i'm iffy about handing over cash. the 2 programs I downloaded that where free to remove it can't seem to find it. I cant update the program because the worm prevents it. Ideas? I'm trying to avoid a complete system reinstall. :cry:

Second, issue is on my moms laptop. Acer/Vista machine. For some strange reason it refuses to do updates. I'm stumped. we are trying to update the Adobe Reader & Flash. I get the little bar at the top of the screen for Actix or what ever its called. I say "install" it starts then crashes. I have tried updates via Firefox & Interent Explorer. Ideas?

Tandt
Whee!

Re: Computer problems are F U N (ya right)

Postby Tandt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:10 am

Try this removal tool out.

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2004-021816-1759-99

Also this is a very old virus. You may want to invest in a antivirus software. Ive been using symantec products for abut 5 years. Very rarely do i have issues with them.
Tandt Dmight
105 Warrior
:rr:
Its not big hair, Its my Helmet!

Boss mobs dont kill people, Clerics kill people!!

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:30 am

If it isn't updating, you probably have a virus on the laptop too. I've come across where is resets a setting and everytime you try and fix it, it resets again. I had to format the drive and reinstall for somebody else who had that problem.

As far as your computer, you should get McAfee VirusScan Plus. Update it about every 5 days. That is what I use and it works perfectly. Has caught several problems before they were aloud to happen in the years I've been using it. Damage may have been done that simply removing it won't fix. So, you may be better of formatting that drive and starting fresh, also. And this time, have a currect active antivirus program running.
Level 106 Druid, Level 106 Enchanter, Level 106 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Oct
Whee!

Postby Oct » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:27 pm

I haven't had a virus problem on a scale like that, but here's something to try.. maybe (i'll cover that maybe later).
This is for the desktop, I can't say anything about the laptop.

When your worm creates the false popup, don't close the popup immediately.. CTRL+ALT+DEL into the task manager. With any luck, that popup window will be listed under the task manager's Applications tab. If it isn't, well, nevermind this post. If it IS, right-click it and select Go To Process, which will take you to the Processes tab and show you the specific file that is generating the popup. Then End Process on that file. Unless the process is a Windows component, which from here I can't tell you that or not, this should kill the fun that it's having.

I'm not familiar with this worm or its mechanisms of action, so who knows how well it will work. However, with a bit of luck this will stop the core component from running and let you do your 'cleanup'.

P.s. If you can't update an antivirus or antimalware app because your internet access is borked on the desktop, you can manually download updates usually from the program's website. I dunno what you used so I can't detail further on updating manually. It'll be in the program somewhere :? .
Octaevius - Cleric
Zaflor - Rogue
Dummkopf - Dumm

Melinia.Spellteaser
Whee!

Postby Melinia.Spellteaser » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:41 pm

I tried the utility listed above... after the it did its thing it said "no Netsky was found on your computer" right under the Netsky pop up. It's looking more and more likely I will have to do a full system reinstall. :cry: evil evil thing. maybe the bug is just calling itself "netsky"..

Edhil
Mistress of the Wild in disguise!

Postby Edhil » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:04 am

Oh fun (NOT!). I had this hit one of my 2 comps the other day. I had to download a malware detection program to a USB key and plug that into my other comp then run it and it found 5 programs associated with that bug Mel. The program I downloaded is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from http://www.malwarebytes.org. I got the free version from http://www.download.com/windows/ then the program is under most popular downloads (At the moment it is #6). It takes about an 1 1/2 to completely run thru your comp Drive C & D (time depends on your comp). I got it after I looked at my Outlook Emails. I searched for that worm on my comp and that program I said previously was the only one that found it. I used SpywareBlaster and Ad-Aware and neither of those found the programs Malwarebytes was the only one that found them and quarantined them (Cheer!!). Then after they were quarantined I did a complete Virus check, Windows, Nortons, Internet Explorer and Ad-aware update. Seems to be running great now. I make sure I run the anti-malware program before I do anything to make sure that nothing new has hit my comp. Funny thing is I have auto update on for Windows, Explorer and Nortons and this got by it.

Hope this helps some!
Eddy
Mistress of the Wild in Disguise.....
Main - Lenvardar Nimloki, 105 Earthkeeper (Druid)
Alt - Edhil Morloki, 92 Huntmaster (Ranger) (Male toon, RL Female player)

Melinia.Spellteaser
Whee!

Postby Melinia.Spellteaser » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:02 pm

Welp.. Ran the norton fix last night. According to Norton I didnt have the virus/trojan/worm. Even as I was getting the darn pop up. I downloaded the Malwarebytes. Ran it, it caught 6 bugs and deleted them. But still getting the pop up. running a full scan again with the Malwarebytes to see if it will catch anything else. crossing fingers it will catch the rest of this bug..

Bug gone! Ran the quick and full scan.. to most of the bug. was able to update the anti malware in order to do another full scan and squish the rest of the bug. :D

Thank you so much Ed (and goofy)

Aerykian
Whee!

Postby Aerykian » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:40 pm

If this is the same virus I'm thinking about, it embeds itself in the registry. You can fix it if it's not embedded too deeply and know the right keys. Did it change your background too?

Benadan
Whee!

Postby Benadan » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:06 am

If this is one that is hiding in the registry turn off the recovery function in XP, then remove the malware. Otherwise it can reinstall itself from the registry back up.

If money is an issue then grab AVG it works pretty well, and updates regularly for free. www.free.avg.com

Another site I highly recommend is Housecall.trendmicro.com this is a free online malware scanner that will also remove most items.