Internet Nazis

Moderator: Littlabit

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Internet Nazis

Postby Goofydoofy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:41 am

Some companies are so lame. They blocked access to the Tribal Fury guild website. I have to be the only person in the history of State Farm who has accessed that site, so it was done because of me. I check it maybe 2 times a day for 30 seconds. I'm sure this site will be next. It is amazing to me that people can screw off for hours and hours every day but a 30 second message check a day is not considered inappropriate.

This just reinforces my desire to find employment elsewhere. As if working with a bunch of idiots who can't shut up and do their job wasn't enough.
Last edited by Goofydoofy on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Level 106 Druid, Level 106 Enchanter, Level 106 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Dips
Ankle Biter

Re: Internet Nazis

Postby Dips » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:54 am

Well in this day and age, companies don't need to block sites. Like my company, for example, has a team of people who just make sure you are not messing around online during working hours. In fact, If I were to even access personal information, like my Bank account online, then they would have access to that website as well.

They have a team of people that search for this type of thing...

..in fact, what am I doing here? OMG...Wrong Number! Prank Call! Prank Call!!!!111oneoneeleven

umm....These are not the druids you are looking for....

Bleh.

Buaz
Whee!

Postby Buaz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:38 pm

"Like a good neighbor"?

Big Green Bait

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:52 pm

The people who should be monitoring the office making sure people are doing their jobs are part of the problem. When the company is poorly run, this is the shit that happens. I can't wait to find work elsewhere and get the hell out of here.

Benadan
Whee!

Postby Benadan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:03 am

If your dealing with that kind of situation use a proxy site. All the company will see is that you went to the proxy, while you by pass all their blocks.

Bobbert
Whee!

Postby Bobbert » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:11 am

Good luck on the proxy thing.

If those Rubes in Infosec have blocked your access to a certian site, such as CN.org or Triblafury.org, and have not already blocked every proxy site you can think of they need to be replaced.

The way i figure it; every day I can read this site, especially while travelling, is another day of luck. Inevitably I will lose access from work.

Melinia.Spellteaser
Whee!

Postby Melinia.Spellteaser » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:15 am

First off...Business wise... business has the right to restrict access to any site it chooses within it's facility/or using it's property (company pc/laptop).

I have been to the TF site before. Could there be a possibility something on the Home page created a "red flag" for the server? Link to a virus? Inappropriate word/phrase? CN site tends to be very clean in that department. Not sure if TF has those same standards of verbal content.

That all being said... It could be worse... that the country blocks sites that it finds "unexceptable".

Edit: I just went to their site... Looks like they have updated the home page since the last I peeked over there. Possibly could the music player be causing the hang up? Or the source could for some of the screenshots? Sometimes the littlest change in the coding/sourcing on a site could make a filter red flag it.

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:21 am

Who gives a shit why? I think they can spare 30 seconds of time and bandwidth.

I'm in a office with 6 people using a dedicated T1 line. It is not like I am bringing the work to a halt. Just stupidity in my eyes. They try and block so much shit, they have blocked required Intranet sites from their own employees because they are so block happy. It is funny.

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:56 pm

Hahaha, one time at work I downloaded yahoo messanger (at home we were using dialup) because my the phone was busy and due to car probs I had to have my boyfriend (at the time) pick me up...so I downloaded yahoo, and messaged him to come and get me. That was the ONLY time I used the messenger, it was after my shift, and boy did I get crap for doing that. They didn't seem to mind or notice that I was on CN's website a dozen times a day but soon as that yahoo popped up, oh god the meeting with the boss....

Sevex
Whee!

Postby Sevex » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Wait until DPI is widespread. Deep Packet Inspection is big brother!

Nyrial
Whee!

Postby Nyrial » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:08 pm

At my work they know people are going to go to internet sites, so they wrote an acceptable use policy for internet browsing. They do block things that allow outside instant messenging (gmail chat, meebo etc :( the meebo part makes me sad) but yeah, unfortunately it is within their right. I agree its totally crappy though goof. Where my friend works, they blocked my BLOG. Before she even went to it, yeah, that's how you know its bad :mrgreen:

oneyedranger
Whee!

Postby oneyedranger » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:28 pm

try working for the department of defense in usa..! at least i have some workarounds.