Kids in gaming...

Moderator: Littlabit

Melinia.Spellteaser
Whee!

Kids in gaming...

Postby Melinia.Spellteaser » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:21 am

This story kind of gives me a new reason why not to "encourage" young kids into online gaming.. Many do not have the mind set to understand the boundaries between a gaming community and real life responsibilities. The article seems to want to blame the game for what happened. When in the end... Some nut job took advantage of a young persons vulnerability and ran with it.
The only thing I would hang on the fathers head is the fact that he didn't pull the plug on his sons gaming sooner.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,448026,00.html
Canadian Boy Who Ran Away After Xbox Confiscated Found Dead

Friday, November 07, 2008
A teenage boy who ran away from home last month after his Xbox was confiscated has been found dead in Canada.

Brandon Crisp, 15, disappeared on Oct. 14 after his father forbade him from playing his video game console after becoming concerned about the teenager’s obsession with the online game Call of Duty 4.

Steve Crisp said he removed the Xbox 360 after his son’s behavior began to change. He said Brandon’s grades were slipping, he had started skipping school and stealing money.

Brandon fled his home on his bicycle and was last seen in a popular hiking and cycling path near Barrie, Ontario, north of Toronto.

A local newspaper and Xbox creators Microsoft offered a $50,000 reward and 1,600 volunteers searched the local area, but all they found was his abandoned bicycle with a flat tire.

Brandon’s body was found by hunters in a cornfield on Wednesday.

In an interview with Canada’s Globe and Mail, Crisp said he had not known how important the gaming system was to his son or how he would react when it was taken away.

He warned other parents to be wary of how obsessive children can get with video games. Experts commented that gamers may form bonds with fellow online players, and Brandon’s parents said they were concerned he may have been lured away.

"This had become his identity, and I didn't realize how in-depth this was until I took his Xbox away," Crisp told the Globe and Mail. "That's like cutting his legs off."

Jhereg
Whee!

Re: Kids in gaming...

Postby Jhereg » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:45 am

Actually that's about 150miles from me, so I read the original article last night and at the moment they don't suspect foul play it seems. It was already freezing some nights when he ran away. They might change their mind on cause of death after an autopsy though.

Oct
Whee!

Postby Oct » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:11 pm

I'd comfortably attribute the kid's personality change to the XBOX Live community. I have never played a game on the XBL network where I was not surrounded by inflated egos, drug twackouts, or kids in high school who've found a network of people with whom they can exchange obscenities and vulgarities freely.

Perhaps the kid's status in society and his private life, whatever it was, was partly to blame for his descent. But take it from someone who has played over 3,000 games of Halo 3 alone on XBLive with people using headsets (and who has also floated around my university's Mass Communications department for about 2 years). What kids are experiencing--interaction with other kids online who have been marginalized and/or disenfranchised and who feel the need to put on this whole gangster/rebel/despot mentality--is a huge influence on their minds.

God help the new generations, because the big corporations putting out the infrastructure won't. It's all about the money. If anyone think's Microsoft's $50,000 'bounty' on finding the kid was an act of good will and not just an attempt to save face, wake up and smell the steaming hot coffee. Perhaps a face plant into that steaming coffee is in order because that may be the degree of 'wake up' that is needed.
</rant>.
Octaevius - Cleric
Zaflor - Rogue
Dummkopf - Dumm

Littlabit
Meanie

Postby Littlabit » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:07 pm

Tandt and I allow our 12 year old son to play eq2 and a few other games but we use it as a reward to his good grades and that he has to keep his chores and things up. I believe if you teach your kids the right way about real life and make believe and that gaming is just gaming and is for fun you can have a good time playing games and being responsible. But this is just my opinion. I dont really think people should blame gaming on somthing their kids did if they taught their child right, just my 2 cents
Littlabit D'might 105 Cleric
GL of Celestial Navigators (Mushroom follower)
"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"

obsessedwith
Whee!

Postby obsessedwith » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:13 am

It's not Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, or any other game company that is to blame for a child's behavior. It falls directly on the parents shoulders. It is the attitude of "the tv is a great babysitter" that many parents have today that is to blame. In this case the parent allowed this to happen by not paying more attention to his kids life and social patterns. I am sorry but i get very tired of seeing the world shift blame away from where it belongs.

Tchien
Munkygurl

Postby Tchien » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:17 am

This looks like just an extension of the old "D&D" makes you commit suicide arguments I used to hear. I refuse to blame a game for stuff like that. It's generally the community the kids are involved with, in this case XBLive. Or the kids in question were already disturbed from other, outside, influences. I hate seeing a game made a scapegoat for poor parenting /sigh

As an aside, it's easy for me to be idealistic about parenting since I have no children of my own. I know it's nowhere near an easy job. They are gonna do whatever they want. You can only control and protect em so much.

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:25 pm

Jhereg and I actually discussed this quite a bit since it was local (flyers around town looking for him when he was missing and all). We tend to think that the Xbox was probably just the straw that broke the camel's back for the kid. Most teenagers have enough of a brain to not run away simply over something quite so petty. There was probably a lot more underlying issues and that was simply the thing that tipped him over the edge. Either that or he is just that dumb or clinically depressed....but my guess is that there was probably a lot more to it than just the xbox, that's probably just the cop-out for the parents.

Either way, what a pity. I have a hard time believing he froze to death because even though it has been very cold at nights, unless he was terribly intoxicated, he probably wouldn't have simply curled up and died. Plus most teenagers are resourceful and sneaky enough to sneak into a friend's house or some random guy's shed and sleep there before freezing to death anyway.

Also...
Many do not have the mind set to understand the boundaries between a gaming community and real life responsibilities.
I know quite a few adults who fit into this category as well :lol:

oneyedranger
Whee!

Postby oneyedranger » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:32 pm

I have two boys ... their primary focus is on family and parents.. then pokemon and eq ( my oldest). Blaming game is just plain irrisponsible shit. that is all it is. get off their arsses and do stuff with the kids.

Oct
Whee!

Postby Oct » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:21 pm

Watch out One. Pokemon has far worse consequences than playing online with wannabe-gangsters :lol:
Have you ever tried to take a gameboy with a Pokemon cartridge in it away from someone playing it? Bad things happen!

And I also agree with the notion of the 'tv != babysitter' theory. Enter Gen X..
Octaevius - Cleric
Zaflor - Rogue
Dummkopf - Dumm

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:30 am

One of the coolest parenting techniques (regarding t.v.) that I ever saw was this couple who allowed their children as much t.v. as they wanted but it could only be a few select channels. Animal planet, discovery, public television, etc. In this way, the kids still felt that they were able to make choices, but almost every time I went over to visit, the kids were outside playing or reading rather than glued to the t.v. I'm probably going to adopt that philosophy as well once I have kids. Anyway, the t.v. is turned to discovery most of the time anyway! Or the History channel.

In any case, there will always be attentive parents and non-attentive ones. It may be easy for us to pick out the kids who are being raised by the t.v. now, but bad parenting skills were not just invented within the past 10 years. I know plenty of people older than me who did not get a proper upbringing, regardless of their t.v. privledges. And I know plenty of children now who are doing amazing things.

So yeah, the t.v. can be a problem (and I see advertising playing a huge factor in our instant-gratification culture) and chances are, those parents were raised by parents who had different (yet just as bad) faults of their own, and so on and so forth. It is difficult, but not impossible, to break a cycle of bad habits and lousy parenting.

Woldar
Whee!

Postby Woldar » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:20 am

I have a good friend that bought a device that attaches to the powercable of a tv or computer. It can be programed to only allow so much time per childs code.

The parents give the kids an allowance of time each week on the TV. They can also lose time or gain time based on chores, etc.

They also have set up the parental contrals on the TV to prevent bad programs.

Seems to work pretty well.

Woldar

Dips
Ankle Biter

Postby Dips » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:01 am

Woldar wrote:They also have set up the parental contrals on the TV to prevent bad programs.

So that pretty much blocks out ANYTHING on MTV.
And Dr. Who.
And ooo those shop-at-home channels.
and the "Forced Religious Views" channels.
OOh and Oprah and The View.
Also the Liberal news channels.
And any channel that is not in the English language...

So that pretty much leaves the educational channels like Discovery, History, ESPN, ESPN2, FOX Sports, NFL Total Package, NBC (for Heroes), FOX, and some DIY programs along with some full-time Movie channels.

Woldar
Whee!

Postby Woldar » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:43 pm

Yep fib that looks to be about it. However, you still have to pay your $50 to the cable channel for the other 100 channels of crap.

Maybe someday we wil be able to purchase our channels one by one. I would be down to maybe 5-8 max.

Melinia.Spellteaser
Whee!

Postby Melinia.Spellteaser » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:29 am

Heh... My brother is very restrictive of what his kids watch (boys 5 & 8). PBS is about it unless its on a dvd (fraggle rock, transformers, ect). threw PBS the boys know about PBSKids.org. Now when they come to Grandma's/Aunt Mel's they get to play on pbskids.org. If they are on one of my computers, I am sitting right next to them, just to make sure that is all they are doing. (mind you I'm playing EQ while supervising :D )

Larulik
Whee!

Postby Larulik » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:41 am

I'm much more restrictive about what my son does on the computers than I am the TV that he watches. That being said, I have told him to turn off some of the purely mindless crap that shows up on TV. He also has to 1. have all his homework done, 2. read for at least 15-20 minutes, and 3. have everything ready for school the next day before he watches any TV. Video games are restricted to the weekends for him, and I assign him work if I don't feel that he has enough, or he needs more practice with something.

I won't say I'm the best parent in the world by any stretch, but my son is doing well in school, stays out of trouble, is respectful, follows directions, and can be trusted to do what he's supposed to do even if we're not right next to him, so I figure a little TV isn't a big deal.. it really depends on the kid and the circumstances, and you have to work with each kid differently.. the key is to get them trained the right way early, because it's a lot easier to loosen the reins than to tighten them.
"You know we're in trouble when the puller claims he can't see..."-Goofydoofy