Mobo fan

Moderator: Littlabit

Oct
Whee!

Mobo fan

Postby Oct » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:20 am

Distress call for any tech heads... After ~2.5 years, my southbridge chipset fan went the way of the ranger.

I have a K8N Neo4-F mobo (MSI). For those who are perhaps familiar with the board.. the fan is right next to the PCIEx16 slot, and therefore laying smack under the bulky video card. In other words, I've been having trouble finding a replacement that physically fits in there. The stock fan is, by my best measurement, 40x40x10mm (wide/long/height) with a couple additional mm height added by the crappy heat sink.

If I could track down a replacement of the stock fan (MSI brand also), that'd suit me.. it's also preferable because it uses the springy push pin things to hold and I'd prefer not to switch methods of attachment. But I'll still take suggestions on any fans/fan-sink combos that fit in there. Maybe 15mm combined height at most... the width and length I'm not as concerned about. I could probably fit a 50x50mm cooler in there, but that's the most I can do. 50x50x15mm max.

I'd like to stray from fanless heat sink cooling, too, although it's doubtful that a decent sink would fit anyway. So I guess.. does anyone have a suggestion? Any reference to something that'll work would be much appreciated.

P.s., I hope this is the right place to post this. Couldn't find a more suitable spot.
Octaevius - Cleric
Zaflor - Rogue
Dummkopf - Dumm

Keldinaar
Whee!

Re: Mobo fan

Postby Keldinaar » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:06 am

I'd recommend contacting MSI, they should be able to send you a replacement. I actually have the same board so I measured the distance between the pins, because the pins actually extend out a little from the edges of the heatsink they are kind of an oddball size so it will be very difficult to find a good replacement that wasn't designed specifically to fit a chipset. As you mentioned, the chipset sits directly behind the second PCI-e 16X slot which will prevent you from using many of the aftermarket heatsinks that are available. I took a quick look on Newegg as well as eBay and couldn't find anything that looked like it would fit. Here's some info for contacting MSI taken from Newegg's website.

# Website: http://www.msicomputer.com/
# Support Phone Number: 1-626-581-3001
# Support Website

Oct
Whee!

Re: Mobo fan

Postby Oct » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:04 pm

I got that pc from a manufacturer--not home built. It has a warranty, but I don't remember what length, and it is the manufacturer's warranty. I'd heard that MSI would replace fans free, but will they do so regardless of that?. If so, that is peachy.

Well, time to dig up some documents while waiting for business hours to roll around I guess.

Many thanks
Octaevius - Cleric
Zaflor - Rogue
Dummkopf - Dumm