Best anime ?

Moderator: Littlabit

Zyton
Whee!

Re: Best anime ?

Postby Zyton » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:06 pm

Sorry to hear that Candy, it is a shame anyone would have to die so young. Very nice sketches too. My high school GF use to sketch alot, but never anime... she liked Ren and Stimpy... The detailed nasty stuff, lol. Top one looks like Rei from Evangelion. Others look familar but likely haven't seen the series... so much anime out there. Maybe Phantom Something Corps. on the 2nd from the top... memory fading.

Oh, if you like fantasy a lot
You MUST watch Record of Lodoss War. You won't even think you are watching anime, becuase it is very true to the genre and does not over do the eyes and give characters weird hair color. Though Rune Soldier Louie is better... Divine Comedy of Fantasy IMHO. I think all in CN should watch these two series regardless of how you feel about anime. Hack is another that hits close to EQ... An anime about online fantasy, lol.
Last edited by Zyton on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Definitely Rei. Right era too.

As for the others, I've got nothing. The last one makes me want to think Nuku Nuku, which is also the right era, but I'm not confident.

And Record of Lodoss War did nothing for me. It's one I watched fairly early (late 90s, I'd guess), and I had to struggle to get through it. Maybe I should dust off the DVD and re-watch it, but it pained me so...

zenlikeme
Whee!

Postby zenlikeme » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:26 am

i think my fav anime i have ever seen are 1. vampire hunter D
2. 3x3 eyes
3. and cowboy bebop
brian m. tillman

Zyton
Whee!

Postby Zyton » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:32 pm

Record of Lodoss War was kind of boring at times, I did fall asleep, hahaha. Guess, I better watch my recommendations around Ommina! =D

All seriousness, was trying to think of something of a cross-over to D&D fantasy/ anime... //Hack.sign maybe better, especially for EQers, but haven't watched enough to get a full impression.

Rune Soldier is very funny find, IMHO. Main character is a mage that wants to be a tank, and the cleric is extremely tormented by his mistakes and his love of elves.

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:14 pm

How about The Twelve Kingdoms?

Strong Fantasy setting, along with some artwork that one can't help but feel directly inspired some DoN zones. (Kirin and everything!)

Been a while since I've watched it, can't remember what the dub was like.

Jhereg
Whee!

Postby Jhereg » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:51 pm

Sorry to hear that Candeys. The second picture kind of reminds me of sailor moon. The fourth I've seen something similar somewhere, maybe VGcats webcomic, but never seen anime like it.

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:00 pm

My sister made me watch Death Note yesterday and last night I was having some pretty freaky dreams of me killing people and being killed.

Now I know why I don't watch anime!

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:22 pm

Silly wrote:My sister made me watch Death Note yesterday and last night I was having some pretty freaky dreams of me killing people and being killed.

That's just you missing EQ.

Try Air instead.

Siderius
Kim Son Quang

Postby Siderius » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:56 pm

Hiya,

I have been looking for an anime with a good magic system and wizards and stuff. And big magic battles, and wise old wizards etc.
AND have a good story.

I saw Record of Lodoss war, had potential but didnt like it that much.
Too much of that stupid little guy, that was supposed to be the main person.

I watched Night Wizards, but they used stupid weapons and not really magic as I want it.

Does anyone know about any anime series at all that can match what I seek?

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Try the first two arcs of Juuni Kokuki. (The "Twelve Kingdoms" title mentioned above.)

Siderius
Kim Son Quang

Postby Siderius » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:44 pm

I just finished the last of the episodes in The Twelve Kingdoms,

Youko is very beautifull hehe, but there was very little magic, and alot of soldiering and politics. The series was alot better than Record of Lodoss War, but it lacked the magic I want to see hehe.

But it was well worth it, and btw, I started watching it because it was mentioned earlier in this thread :)

But I never found out what happened to the Kirin and King/Queen of Tai. I know the Kirin is in Houiri(spelling sucks). And the friend of Youko is trying to talk to him, but did he ever return to Tai?

Benadan
Whee!

Postby Benadan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:31 am

Siderius wrote:Hiya,

I have been looking for an anime with a good magic system and wizards and stuff. And big magic battles, and wise old wizards etc.
AND have a good story.

I saw Record of Lodoss war, had potential but didnt like it that much.
Too much of that stupid little guy, that was supposed to be the main person.

I watched Night Wizards, but they used stupid weapons and not really magic as I want it.

Does anyone know about any anime series at all that can match what I seek?

Small side track here.
For magic systems I have to go over to David Edding's Belgariad and Mollerian series. I know they are books, but they tell a great story.

Thankfully I have only seen one reference to sailor moon in this thread. Personally I think you need to be a masochist, or a teenage girl to enjoy that series.

Gundam wing was a great series I loved how it took realistic issues and put them into the backdrop of the story. There was another I really liked that had a couple different series and I can't think of the name. It was based around a spaceship with the fighters that transfomed into robots. Okay just found it, robotech.

Oct
Whee!

Postby Oct » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:38 am

I would call it a draw between Cowboy Bebop and Macross (and/or Robotech up through ep. 36).

Bebop is a masterpiece in writing and production, audibly and visually, to the frame. Disputing this line of this post with me will result in /duel (:D). If I were to write it justice I might as well just turn that in as a mass communication/media paper, because it'd take me that much effort and space.

Robotech is the second anime I have memory of seeing and probably swayed me favorably across the line of love or hate for the animation. When it came upon me to watch it again, I tried to track down a subbed version and discovered the original Macross. I'm still stopped in my tracks by both iterations (if not counting parts 2 and 3 in the Robotech saga).

Last Exile merits mention; one of the best steampunk presentations I've seen. Onizuka is pretty righteous for a comedy series (although I think Bebop's subtler wit is still far superior). Last Order: Final Fantasy VII is nothing outstanding or groundbreaking, but it tells a story I wanted to see told, and Tseng narrates...

I guess those are all fairly known names in the greater scheme; I'm sure I'm up against veterans here who can list 25 pages in small font of good obscure titles.
Octaevius - Cleric
Zaflor - Rogue
Dummkopf - Dumm

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:59 am

/me watched all 200 episodes of Sailor Moon. And the movies. I even have the live action version around here somewhere. But I'd be hard pressed to describe it now as one of the "best anime evar", regardless of how much I enjoyed it at the time - although it does deserve mention for what it did for the mahou shoujo genre.

Sid -- I'm having troubles coming up with a title that really matches what I think you're looking for. Scrapped Princess has a strong magic component, and Fate / Stay Night is very popular, but neither really match the high fantasy feel that I think you want. Of the two, Scrapped Princess is probably closer, but still isn't quite there. Zyton?

Oh, and at the risk of Oct never healing me again, I felt the story of Cowboy Beebop fell flat.

Siderius
Kim Son Quang

Postby Siderius » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:20 am

Hiya Ommina,

I think you feel correct about what type of high fantasy I am looking for. I will check out Scrapped Princess tho, sounds interresting hehe.
Alot of anime is very good even if its not exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks alot for your advice.

tauaunt
Should wash his hands after playing with poison ivy.

Postby tauaunt » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:08 pm

I have watched and read this thread now for a bit,, WTH is a anime? Is it like one of the pokeman cartoons?
No, I am not a pally, BUT I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!!

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:07 pm

tauaunt wrote:I have watched and read this thread now for a bit,, WTH is a anime? Is it like one of the pokeman cartoons?

Well, pokemon is an example of anime. Perhaps not a shining example, and not an example that I would offer up without some embarrassment, but an example regardless.

An definition, which I think works fairly well, is "An anime is an animated, professionally produced, feature film created by a Japanese company for the Japanese market." (From here.)

Siderius
Kim Son Quang

Postby Siderius » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:30 pm

And by Ommina's definition, which I agree with, all western cartoons stays cartoons and should not be mixed with anime.
So Simpsons == cartoon and Bleach == anime.

Zantetsuken
Iron Cutting Sword

Postby Zantetsuken » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:49 pm

I first watched anime on the Sci Fi channel.

If i recall right it was either Lensman or Vampire Hunter D i watched first... but VHD is the anime which pretty much got me hooked.
Lightbringer Zantetsuken
"Men in battle, do not need women. My love is my Sword!" - The Almighty Dekar from Lufia II
Axe Master Verige
"The weak only strive to be weaker." - Magus from Chrono Trigger

Siderius
Kim Son Quang

Postby Siderius » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:44 am

I googled abit and I was almost thinking that the opening post was Ommina's :)

http://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-389982.html

Then I saw it was posted in april :)

tauaunt
Should wash his hands after playing with poison ivy.

Postby tauaunt » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:53 am

Well ty, I think my kids watch a few of them. No clue what there called. But I do remember Dragon ballz. I always thought the name was pretty cool and I have to be honest, I did sit and watch a few of the episodes. My all time favorite cartoon though is Heavy metal. May be a lil old for some of ya here, but I have seen it 100 times. And not trying to derail the thread here, but if you have seen the movie, don't the evil pres in there look like obamha!
No, I am not a pally, BUT I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!!

oneyedranger
Whee!

Postby oneyedranger » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:58 am

Truly the best cartoon ever! The magazine was nice too. One of the best soundtracks for a movie also.

Jhereg
Whee!

Postby Jhereg » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:28 pm

I've been watching Bleach lately. Up to episode 90 now. So far I'm not liking the newest story arc about the Bount anywhere near as much as the Soul Society stuff that ended around the low 60's.

Siderius
Kim Son Quang

Postby Siderius » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:00 am

The bount arc is a filler arc so that the story wouldnt catch up to the manga. It has some decent episodes in there but I didnt like it much either. The soul society arc continues after the bount arc is finished so look forward to that :)

It continues at episode 109. And its fun until the Luruichi arc (much shorter than the bount arc) later.

Its the best anime I have seen so far.

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:48 am

/pretends to know something about anime & sneaks in a Siderius hug :)

Larulik
Whee!

Postby Larulik » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:49 pm

I don't see the appeal of anime myself...but, to each his own.
"You know we're in trouble when the puller claims he can't see..."-Goofydoofy

Yort
Whee!

Postby Yort » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:58 pm

1.Fist of The North Star series. You can't get them all in English that I know of, there's like 30 DVDs of 7-8 episodes a piece. By far my favorite anime. I've watched the whole series 6-7x. My dad owns the series, and he's 56. They play the movie rarely on showtime. The movies cool, but it's like the whole 1st set of 2 crammed into a 2 hr movie. So, it's kind of like any anime that you don't start watching from the beginning.....WTF is this about? What does that stupid flower and girl have to do with anything. I recommend getting the whole series, or at least netflixing or w/e u can get in English if u can't stand to read. Best plot and characters of any anime out there. There's also 3 newer 1s that they play on showtime periodically.

2. Berserk- not a long series, but it gets just evil weird. Like, what kind of nightmare imagination does this writer have. I know they got this whole series on Netflix, that's how I watched it. My Dad rents stuff and i watch it after him, free is best.

3. Hellsing Ultimate
I also like alot of the 1s others have listed alrdy. Especially the ones i can watch for free on cable. Bleach is cool, but I can tell they changed the dude that does Chad's voice, now instead of sounding relaxed, he sounds retarded.

What about Hentai?

takazerker
Whee!

Postby takazerker » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:08 pm

Ponyo.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Jhereg
Whee!

Postby Jhereg » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:06 pm

Larulik, mostly what I like about anime is that unlike Western Cartoons the series go for quite a bit and have a fair storyline. Most western cartoon's don't get that kind of support. Naruto and Bleach combined have roughly the same number of episodes as the Simpsons and nothing else comes close to the Simpsons in the West. And that's only 2 anime series. Dragonball Z has a couple hundred I think, especially if you include regular Dragonball and GT.

Fantasy and Sci-fi series are rare compartively here also. Look at Thundercats, its had what, 130 episodes? Bleach is 213. Naruto is 213 also it seems. Dragonball Z 291 episodes. I'm sure there's other series of similar sizes too.

And, no Hentai discussions on the forums please. Take that to other forums sorry. PG here.