Qmaus
Whee!

A legend is gone

Postby Qmaus » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:03 pm

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Re: A legend is gone

Postby Jaffod » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:05 am

I saw that, I remember playing his games 'back in the day'. It was a combo of his games and The Hobbit that introduced me to the fantasy genre (sci fi stuff came later but is closely associated)

Buaz
Whee!

Postby Buaz » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:03 am

Gary was the man.
A great loss. A natural 20.

Big Green Bait

Woldar
Whee!

Postby Woldar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:10 am

I remember getting the HS buddies around the dinning room table and playing D&D for hours after school. It kept us out of trouble and those friendships are still in place today.

It is a great game and the foundation of EQ. Where would we be today without his imagination. Wish him and his family well.

Woldar

Cruz
Whee!

Postby Cruz » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:28 am

He will be missed; he protected me from the ills of teenage girls and high school popularity.

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:23 am

/agree Cruz, gurls r ebil

Jhereg
Whee!

Postby Jhereg » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:57 pm

I still have most of my books, including the original D&D basic, expert, master and immortal sets, Keep on the Borderland, etc. I've also got most of the novels he wrote for the Greyhawk world with Gord the Rogue and a couple of the novels of the Dangerous Journey game(Mythus setting).

I wish his family well, lots of people knew of him and liked his work.

Balzzodar
Captain Canary Saves the Day!

Postby Balzzodar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:08 pm

Wow he lived close to me. Lake Geneva is only 1.5 hours from my house. I go through there every so often for work. I played some D&D back in the day myself although not much.
"A pun is the lowest form of humor, unless you thought of it yourself." — Doug Larson

Balzzodar Dabard, Officer for Celestial Navigators
Facebook

SarineeBarbie
Whee!

Postby SarineeBarbie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:41 pm

I dare to go to where I have never confessed before...

I remember the joys of secretly playing D&D like around 12 or 13... One particular summer, three of my friends and I played non-stop. We even took it to RL when darkness fell - we would run around in the dark, sneaking around orc camps (neighbors), hiding out from goblins (cars going by) and heading in to the kitchen - OOPS! - I mean, nearest inn for a quick refreshment before hitting the hard road again. I used to drive my one friend (aka. tyrant Dungeon Master) crazy with bargaining for the life of my char when she ever so evilly was going to try to make me stick with the roll of the die - and die. ><

Heehee - memories that will never fade. SO much fun... Lol. ;)

Oaklen
Whee!

Postby Oaklen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:05 am

Playing D&D around a table with good friends, talking about anything and listening to music... Man some great times. Pencil and paper rpg's with good friends is still the most fun I have had playing a game. Good times.
Sensei Oaklen <Celestial Navigators>
Monkeying around since 2k

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:27 am

If he lived in Lake Geneva then was he a FIB?

I started with AD&D, with the occasional dabble in the original. Went on to many other, non Gygax, games with most time spent on RoleMaster. However my favourite was the original RuneQuest by Chaosium, I still refuse any Avalon Hill products based on the damage they did after they bought the rights:P

Mandaar
Whee!

Postby Mandaar » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:35 am

I still have my first edition players manual, DM guide, and monster manual. I even have the original basic set in the blue box somewhere (probably long gone).

I haven't played in years, but I'll always love the game in my head.

He narrated one of the dungeons in DDO online. It was horrific, but in a weird way it was cool, because it was Gygax.

Balzzodar
Captain Canary Saves the Day!

Postby Balzzodar » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:15 pm

Ha ha a Fib ... Well if he came from Ill. and moved to Lake Geneva then Yes he was a FIB!
"A pun is the lowest form of humor, unless you thought of it yourself." — Doug Larson

Balzzodar Dabard, Officer for Celestial Navigators
Facebook

samane
Whee!

Postby samane » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:32 am

It made me sad to hear this
I used to play a cleric ,, was having trouble coming up with a name when we were making our characters and one friend suggested andravera.. truley woman,,,I thought that was such a sweet compliment. and have always cherished that.
Hade a great time,
Gygax is one of those people on the list of people who I wish i had been... anlong with margret mead, janis joplin, and james hendrix ( the guy who started the muppets, though the awesome guitarist would be cool too)
Love and Hugs
Samane