Computer Tech Info

Moderator: Littlabit

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Computer Tech Info

Postby Goofydoofy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:09 pm

Is there any real world reason to get a ASUS L1N64-SLI WS Dual Socket L (Socket 1207FX) NVIDIA nForce 680a SLI MCP SSI CEB AMD Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131146 and add 2 AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket F (1207 FX) DSDC Architecture Processors http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103866 ?

Haven't I heard that one chip with 2 cores needs to have one turned off to play EQ?? To get both chips to work with 4 cores, is this application specific? Would any program utilize this set up or would pretty much only specific programs written to access this kind of power make it worth while?

I see no point in paying top dollar for top power if nothing I use day to day is going to use it.
Level 106 Druid, Level 106 Enchanter, Level 106 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:46 pm

Nearly no applications are multithreaded. Some misbehave when faced with multiple processors to choose from, and Everquest is one of these. While you don't need to turn cores off, you do have to take extra precautions, such as third party applications or manually setting CPU affinity for the launcher each time you start EQ.

If an application IS multithreaded enough to start 4 separate threads, it would automatically use all 4 CPU cores (a dual core CPU is simply 2 CPUs on the same physical package, and as far as software is concerned is no different than 2 discrete, separate physical processors in their own sockets). Applications like this that come to mind are the rare Photoshop filter, some CAD applications, most high-end 3D rendering programs such as Maya, Blender and povray.

I have a dual-core X2 3800+, and I can count the number of times I've run both cores at 100% for any length of time on one hand. If you're trying to future-proof your PC, it may be worthwhile as some game companies (most notably Valve) are working on various techniques to properly exploit 4 or more CPUs, but this is a long ways off.

Coming from a man who's owned a 6 CPU system before, save your $1200. Grab a Core 2 Quad if you must ($532 vs $814), a compatible motherboard, and go... Otherwise, I'd probably go with your preference of X2 or Core Duo, and throw the rest of the money at an incrementally better video card or superior disk subsystem.

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:04 pm

What would be a superior disk subsystem?

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:40 pm

If you were just picking up a couple drives, instead buy a set of 4 and RAID them. If you were picking up 4 7200RPMs to RAID consider a Raptor 10k RPM drive instead. (This is assuming dual-core CPU, top-end card, and at least 2GB of RAM. At that point, loading data from disk would be the biggest bottleneck, and a Raptor 10k RPM as your system/apps drive would be the best solution, but expensive).

Azkasm
Whee!

Postby Azkasm » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:21 am

I've heard some good stories about the core 2 Duo's Overclocking very well. Could save a few bucks there.
http://www.cuteoverload.com/

Set it as your homepage, you know you want to.

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:03 am

Thanks for the info.

Sevex
Whee!

Postby Sevex » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:40 am

If we are talking about Windows and application:

An executable is a process which may start 1 or more threads. Since Windows support symmetric multiprocessing(SMP), the operating system is responsible for determining which threads will run on which processors. This feature can be overridden through policy to set the processor affinity to a specific core.

If you press ctrl-alt-delete in Windows, you can view the Task Manager. The processes tab displays running executables. You can right click on an executable and set the affinity to a specific core. If allowed, this will cause all threads of that process to run on a single core. If you look at the performance tab, you can see the threads and processes count.

Most applications start a process(in some cases more than 1) and each process starts threads which generally perform very specific action.