Vista

Moderator: Littlabit

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Vista

Postby Goofydoofy » Fri May 11, 2007 9:30 pm

Is Vista a 32 bit or 64 bit OS? I am thinking of putting a new system together using a ASUS Duel Socket L motherboard with 2 AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 chips and 8 GB of memory. I know you need 64 bit OS to call over 3.5 GB or so of memory.

I am trying to figure out if the OS will support a duel chip, four core system with 8GB of memory.

And toss in a couple Radeon 1950XTX video cards in SLI set-up for fun.
Level 106 Druid, Level 106 Enchanter, Level 106 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Keldinaar
Whee!

Postby Keldinaar » Fri May 11, 2007 11:21 pm

Both 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista are available.

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Sat May 12, 2007 6:26 am

I guess I'll get 8 drives and load XP Pro 16, XP Pro 32, Vista Ultimate 16 and Vista Ultimate 32 on seperate drives and use a 2nd drive to ghost them as back-ups. That way I won't have any problem with compatability.

Not sure I wanna spend 4k on making a new computer though. The case alone is $300 and the 1000watt power supply is $400. Alot of money for alot of power I'll probably never need.

Siderius
Kim Son Quang

Postby Siderius » Sat May 12, 2007 9:52 am

Go for 32bit for now, 64bit is very bad in consideration to drivers compability etc. And even programs.

If you buy the retail version (not the OEM version) you will get both versions in the package.
Install the 32bit, and then change to the 64bit if and or when it becomes good.

I wouldnt bother dualbooting 32bit and 64bit unless you REALLY need 64bit, which I dont think.

Xril
Whee!

Postby Xril » Mon May 14, 2007 8:15 am

Talk on the horizon is terrabyte Hard Drives being released a bit later this year, so you may want to keep an eye out for those Goofy if you plan to fire up a system.

Also, memory limits:

Starter 256Mb
Home Basic 8Gb
Home Premium 16Gb
Business 128Gb
Enterprise 128Gb
Ultimate 128Gb

However you are correct, any 32bit edition is limited to 4GB but they are saying you will only get a partial amount of memory due to the fact the BIOS assigns some of that 4GB to Video Cards and etc. You can search the microsoft forums for Max RAM if you want to read all of the explanation of memory addresses in a 32bit system.

The system should support your chips, especially if it's 64bit as they are designed to handle a multi-CPU server tower. I can't be positive about this, but I would wager it as highly plausible. I could look around later and post more on it if I remember. Either way, goodluck on this system!
<center><a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1262727" target="top">Xril GoldenEel - Heyokah and Speaker for the Ancients</a></center>

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Mon May 14, 2007 11:35 am

I am looking at 2 1-TB SATA 3gb drives. They are pricey as hell, but have a 32MB cache. $600.00 each made by Hitachi.

It will take me a year to get this thing made due to the cost, if not two years. The good news is, in 2 years, it should still be a pretty kick ass computer. Depends on how hard I want to work to make the money.

Seeing as how mine works great and I have zero problems, I'm in no hurry.

Xril
Whee!

Postby Xril » Tue May 15, 2007 6:14 am

Goofydoofy wrote:I am looking at 2 1-TB SATA 3gb drives. They are pricey as hell, but have a 32MB cache. $600.00 each made by Hitachi.

It will take me a year to get this thing made due to the cost, if not two years. The good news is, in 2 years, it should still be a pretty kick ass computer. Depends on how hard I want to work to make the money.

Seeing as how mine works great and I have zero problems, I'm in no hurry.

I hear ya, I was thinking of a new computer until Lasik Eye Surgery and now....I get to see without glasses in trade for no new computer. It's iffy which was a better idea, but the eyes should last me ~20years. I doubt any PC could do that and still perform well enough by year 2 to be worthwhile.
<center><a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1262727" target="top">Xril GoldenEel - Heyokah and Speaker for the Ancients</a></center>

Cicak
Whee!

Postby Cicak » Tue May 15, 2007 8:30 am

Well, with a new PC you wouldn't spoil ya eyes so fast again :P

j/k

Just wanted to say that I don't believe 'Starter 256Mb' being true. Don't actually think that even Vista Starter will run with just 256MB. I think Starter supports up to 1Gig memory.

Not that it really matter. Cause I'd find it hard to believe that Goofy would actually consider running his daydream-pc with starter .. hehe
Cicak , Iksar Shaman
Puniam Brokenwand , Erudite Enchanter
Sembuh , Gnome Cleric