Lioldra, Chapter 5 is posted!

Moderator: Littlabit

Qmaus
Whee!

Lioldra, Chapter 5 is posted!

Postby Qmaus » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:43 pm

Managed to get this one finished up a lot sooner than I expected.

There will definitely be a delay on the next chapter, however. I have noticed by looking at the locations of my myspace page visitors, that I have a larger reader base than I realized (international even).

Because of that and suggestions from both guildmates and mom (don't ever want to ignore mom's advice!) I am temporarily putting my posting of chapters on hold until I finish securing copyright on it.

Naturally, I was kind enough to leave off with a small cliffhanger in the story, LOL. :twisted:

I figure five chapters is enough to whet a reader's appetite without enabling anybody to figure out a lot of how things are going to progress, so this seems like a good spot to work on the legal stuff.

I will continue writing in the interim and once everything is in place, I will start posting somewhat consistently again.

Anyway, find Chapter 5 right here:

viewtopic.php?t=4659

unikyte
Princess

Postby unikyte » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:39 am

I think that is a smart idea, I was worried about that.
uni

SpenSir
Lord, Lady, and the Dutchess!

Postby SpenSir » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:54 am

Good stuff Q, I enjoy the reading.

Qmaus
Whee!

Postby Qmaus » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:15 pm

Okay, good news and some slightly bad news, guys.

Good news is I poked around and found this info that another author gave to somebody who had the same question regarding an "ongoing work":

A writer's work is copyrighted automatically as soon as he puts it
on paper. I would be cautious nonetheless about posting a work in its
entirety in a public forum. If someone steals it, you would still have to
first find out about it, then sue them, even though you hold the copyright.

Just to back me up, here's a quote from legalzoom.com. It's one of many sources that will tell you the same thing:

"Copyright protection exists from the time the work is created in fixed form and immediately becomes the property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright. "

So, I printed out everything I have already written and basically I now have copyright. Even though the copyright can't be registered with the copyright office until the entire novel is finished and submitted with the fees and stuff, it's still considered legal and I'm basically gtg there now that I have printed it out.

The bad news is that, after extensive reading, it seems that a lot of people warn about posting stuff on the internet while the work is in progress. Granted, I trust all of my guildmates here in CN, but other people can link to the chapters from my myspace page and from looking at the map of people who go there, it seems that I have a number of readers whose identity is entirely unknown to me.

Therefore (and please forgive me for this guys) I have decided that I will not post any more of the story until it is completed, at which time I will consider again the possibility of doing so, or I may just try to get it published instead. I will leave the stuff I have already posted up here, because it's not enough to really let somebody steal the story. I haven't revealed very much at all about what is going to happen, so I think I'm safe leaving up the five current chapters. I will try to find some time in the next few days to edit those posts for the purpose of including a copyright notice of some kind.

LOL, one other interesting little tidbit:
Just after I finished researching all this junk, I went and checked my taurus horoscope for today on http://www.astrology.com and here's what I got:

Playing in the sandbox is fine when it comes to generating and developing your brilliant ideas. Now, though, you're ready to play in the big leagues. Get ready to meet some movers and shakers.

I guess all that remains now is deciding whether or not I'm actually superstitious enough to believe that, LOL. Nevertheless, it made me smile to see it, true or otherwise.