For Qmaus - an IRS personage

Moderator: Littlabit

Truthseeker
Whee!

For Qmaus - an IRS personage

Postby Truthseeker » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:47 pm

I have an IRS type question that no one seems to be able to answer.

I received a refund check from Fidelity on my 401K. I called and talked to them and was directed back to my previous employer.

This is the my question and their reply:

I received a refund for deductions for 401K. I thought the limit for 2006 was $15,000. Why did I get a refund?

Answer: The IRS limits the amount highly compensated employees can defer, based on the average deferral percentage of the non highly compensated employees. The IRS considers amount in excess of these calculations discriminatory oin favor of highly compensated employees. Therefore, you received a check to correct this discrepenscy.

Does this feel correct or should I be worried about the refund?

Truthseeker

Qmaus
Whee!

Postby Qmaus » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:16 pm

Hiya TS,

Well, I'm going to direct you to other IRS people because everything we do at my facility is actually IT related. All the folks that work with and know the various regulations work in other cities like D.C., Philadelphia, Dallas, et cetera.

The bad news here is that I don't personally know anyone in particular at those offices that I can recommend, and you will also likely have to go through a semi-tedious automated menu on the phone and possibly be on hold a small time (but the earlier in the year you call, the shorter the wait). You may also need to wait a few days for your answer.

The good news:

The people you end up speaking to are VERY HELPFUL and pleasant to speak with (or at least, incredibly efficient). Even before I started working at the IRS, I recall that I have had to call up with questions from time to time, and I always left thinking that if everyone had the customer service skills the IRS people had, this world would be a much more wonderful place. I'm actually very proud on a personal level to be a part of the IRS team.

Live Telephone Assistance for individuals is available Monday-Friday from 7am to 10pm (your local time). The toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040.

Also, there is another, possibly more specialized, line specifically set aside for the following entities:
1) Exempt Organizations
2) RETIREMENT PLAN ADMINISTRATORS
3) Government Entities

Even though you are not a retirement plan administrator (far as I know, LOL), this other line may be more likely to quickly have the answer you seek and might be willing to help you out if you call them up. Worst they can do is tell you to call the other line, LOL.

Anyway, this second line is open on the same days and hours as the other one and the toll-free number is 1-877-829-5500.

Another option:
There are a number of offices throughout the nation that will actually permit you to walk in and get help. You can put in your zip code and search for one of these offices within as much as a 100 mile radius from the zip code you enter. This search feature is found here:

http://www.irs.gov/app/officeLocator/index.jsp

If nothing is found in that 100 mile radius you can also search by clicking on a state on the USA map here:

http://www.irs.gov/localcontacts/index.html

Hope that helps you! I'm quite confident, however, that whoever you speak with will be very helpful. Granted, they can't all be as totally awesome as I am (/giggle), but they're pretty damn good, man.

Tell me how it goes. If by some strange fluke of universal evil you don't get the help, I will see if my detail boss (who works directly for our facility's director and has been around for many many years) can recommend a specific individual.

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:35 am

I have to grudgingly admit that everybody I have talked to at the IRS has been very pleasant and very helpful - except for the asking for money part of course :)