For USA taxpayers, latest from IRS

Moderator: Littlabit

Qmaus
Whee!

For USA taxpayers, latest from IRS

Postby Qmaus » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:40 am

Hi guys,
Figured since I'm working at the IRS, I could at least pass on stuff that may be of interest to people.

Anyway, here's the meat of it:

Instead of the usual April 15 deadline, everybody has until April 17 this year.

Want to know more? FAQ here:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,, ... 95,00.html

That's it!
Later folks!

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:44 pm

yay an extra 2 days for me to help pay for the crusade...ummm err the war on terror?

Seriously though, thanks for the heads up Q :)

Elomar
Resident Goofball

Postby Elomar » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:57 pm

Dont forget the long distance phone service credit!

Xril
Whee!

Postby Xril » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:55 am

Oh but wait....pretty soon they are going to be taxing our income on MMORPGs!

I can see it now..."What was your total earned income in platinum on Everquest?"

"How much did you donate to n00bs beggings for money?"

P.S Yes, there is an article on this....and they are saying since game money can be directly translated into American Dollars(via people who sell platinum etc) then it is a taxable income because it has value.
<center><a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1262727" target="top">Xril GoldenEel - Heyokah and Speaker for the Ancients</a></center>

Skratz
Almost as hot as Diz!

Postby Skratz » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:10 am

and they are saying since game money can be directly translated into American Dollars(via people who sell platinum etc) then it is a taxable income because it has value.

Well in that case, sex should be taxed too. Sex can be directly translated into $ (via people who sell sex)
lol
~Predator Skratz Nsniff º¿º
Now residing in WoW

Xril
Whee!

Postby Xril » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:11 am

They probably already tax legal prostitution :p

I guess a lot of this came about from Second Life (an online 3d virtual avatar chat) where some people are making over $100,000 a year selling virtual clothing. One guy said he was worth over 1 million in online real estate :p
<center><a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1262727" target="top">Xril GoldenEel - Heyokah and Speaker for the Ancients</a></center>

Lanyder
Whee!

Postby Lanyder » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:15 pm

The sale of the virtual currency is when you recognize the taxable income, not when you actually produce or 'create' the item of value. This is similar to a freelance writer recognizing taxable income when they actually sell the article they write, not when they complete the article and have something of value. Although, if the IRS started actually allowing us to pay our taxes with Plat, we would have to reevaluate the transaction. Plus EQ would have to add 1099 generation functionality to the Bazaar!

Yes, earnings from prostitution is taxable. The federal government even owned a brothel at one point about 7 or 8 years ago after siezing it for unpaid taxes, iirc.

Okay, now that we have managed to include Everquest Sex, and Taxation into this topic, I wonder if we can include my other passion of Flying. I know many will be inclined to tell me to take a flying....

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:02 pm

what about if you make items? Bolwyn could get shut down! Of course he can write off the cost of the items.

Do we pay interest on the Guild Hall?

Baelea's druid is 'married' in game to Icecreamman - how does that work? Does she file as married?

Geekjoker
Whee!

Postby Geekjoker » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:21 pm

I heard someone talking about outlawing MMORPGs on the grounds you can gamble on them. That and because you can convert online stuff to real $$.

So basically they were saying MMORPGs are online gambling and fall under the recent legislation from Washington last fall.

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:59 am

Go go gadget right wing religious fundamentalists.