Wow storm.

Moderator: Littlabit

Skratz
Almost as hot as Diz!

Wow storm.

Postby Skratz » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:07 am

Well if you were wondering where I LD'd to last night....

Last night the STL area got hit by a MAJOR storm system. Straight line winds 75 mph +
It is said there were 450,000 people w/o power. We are still this morning without power as well and my Grandmothers nursing home (on generator atm). It has been 14 hours without power now. There is still no eta.
Driving to work this morning I saw hundreds of downed trees, some on houses, some on cars, many accidents, bricks torn from several buildings and thrown onto the street.
Some buildings collapsed, and a roof flew off into the middle of a highway. Several overturned Tractor Trailers on the highways, trees uprooted, and lightposts blown over.

For more info here is one site:

http://www.ksdk.com

I reccommend their photo gallery here (#31 was broken, I had to go to the address bar and manually change it to the next):
http://ksdk.com/news/gallery/photogalle ... gid=100575
Last edited by Skratz on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Predator Skratz Nsniff º¿º
Now residing in WoW

Vitala
wishes Lanyder had a tail

Postby Vitala » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:17 am

WOW Skratz! Well... I am somewhat relieved to find that it wasn't because I had just asked you for SA that you went /q to escape me! :)

Seriously... glad you are alright, and I hope they restore power soon! Gosh, and I'm glad your grandmama's place has a generator!

/hugs to Skratz, Survivor of Storms, Vanquisher of Mighty Winds!
~~Seriously, I don't think we should continue with letting idiotic people breed like rabbits. We're being overrun!~~

Xril
Whee!

Postby Xril » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:32 am

Is that all it takes to avoid buffing Vitala?!

Sign me up :p

No in all seriousness, I'm glad you are ok in all of this storm stuff other than power. I'm glad your car/house didn't get hit with a tree! I hope all others you know and care about are ok as well and things recover quickly. I hope to see you back soon mighty Beastlord, I think my SA is running out ;)
<center><a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1262727" target="top">Xril GoldenEel - Heyokah and Speaker for the Ancients</a></center>

Skratz
Almost as hot as Diz!

Postby Skratz » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:14 am

Heard somewhere might be 4-5 days before we get power.

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:19 am

Time to get my looting on.

Being without power does suck. Can be life threatening for some. Can be a sexual adventure for others. Life is strange.
Level 106 Druid, Level 106 Enchanter, Level 106 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:51 am

Dang hon /comfort! Seems the storms are a-raging all over the place. Jhereg & I were without power for about 20 hours earlier this week, but we're pretty downtown. There's outlying areas that still don't have it up yet. We didn't have the collapsed buildings though, seems most of the damage around here was trees uprooted and falling on stuff.

Glad to hear you're okay though. Catch up on some sleep Mr. Works-too-hard!

Kahlyla
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Postby Kahlyla » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:05 am

Wow. We've had some crazy winds and a little rain here this week, but nothing too horrible yet. Glad to hear you're ok Skratzy. Hugs!

Tardar
Whee!

Postby Tardar » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:01 am

This storm was the cause of my LD also. Power in my house was knocked out and I ended up sleeping at my parent's house. Came home this morning and it was back on, but we are still on a boil order for water. I had to go into work last night about 9:30 and the streets looked like Beirut. Going anywhere is an obstacle course. As far as I know about 400,000 people are still without power and they are hinting it may take days to restore it all. Part of the roof of the airport blew off, and all flights were cancelled so there wasn't a hotel room available within 100 miles of St. Louis. When I was driving into the office, there were trucks overturned on a bridge that got blown over just from the wind.

Hope Tacvi went well, how far did we get?

Bobbert
Whee!

Postby Bobbert » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:09 am

Sorry to hear about this, you two. We have our share of inclement weather here in Nebraska, but I have not seen damage like those picutres showed unless a tornado came ripping through town.

Hurry back when you can. Tacvi is a fun place to be when you can hide behind the BST's. :lol:

SpenSir
Lord, Lady, and the Dutchess!

Postby SpenSir » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:18 am

We made it to...and one step past...the snake chick we did the night before. And by one step I mean we killed her on the third try. Soon as she was dead a door opened, agro on the next trash and poof camp a cleric time.

Did not try the next named.

Tardar
Whee!

Postby Tardar » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:20 am

Cool. Every step counts. So we took another step forward last night. Good job!

Ladyheart
Whee!

Postby Ladyheart » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:28 am

Sorry to hear about that, I just moved to SC so I will get first hand experience with storms like this. I am from Mass and only had to worry about snow and lots of it. Glad you are ok and hope the power comes back soon.
HUGS

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:06 pm

I want to know why you all don't have battery back-ups that take over until the automatic generator kicks in!! We can't be having people LD in the middle of a raid just because of something as minor as a power failure. I best see that each and every one of you are prepared in the future for uninterupted gaming, no matter what the problem!
Level 106 Druid, Level 106 Enchanter, Level 106 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

SpenSir
Lord, Lady, and the Dutchess!

Postby SpenSir » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:27 pm

I do Goof, even have cable on its own power supply. Course I have less then 3 minutes before the juice is sucked out but still...

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:31 pm

wow that sucks - we had T-Storms here last night but nothing like that!

Kuuran
Whee!

Postby Kuuran » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:13 pm

Wow Skratz. :shock: Glad you are all ok.

Qmaus
Whee!

Postby Qmaus » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:00 am

Glad to hear you all made it through ok.

Being without power sucks, but at least you have water. Being without water is unbearable.

Xril wrote:Is that all it takes to avoid buffing Vitala?!

Funny, she's never asked me for buffs even once. Can't imagine why...

Goofydoofy wrote:Being without power does suck. Can be life threatening for some. Can be a sexual adventure for others.

Hmm...you just reminded me of a night in Oct. 1989 when I was living in Monterey, CA and the town lost power due to an earthquake (the one that made the Bay Bridge in S.F. collapse). I went into the local Sheraton (now a Marriott) to make a call to my mom and let her know I was ok (the hotel had auxiliary power on-premises). While I was waiting in the lobby for my best friend to finish talking to his folks, I met these three Swiss girls.

I'll just let you guys imagine the rest. 8)

Skratz
Almost as hot as Diz!

Postby Skratz » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:21 am

North STL is on a water boil alert. Must boil for 3 minutes.
Even if I did have a battery back-up, when we lose electricity, we usually lose cable as well, so I would go LD anyway.
When the storm seemed to have passed and cable was gone, I figured I would defrag. Then we lost power and I lost a file needed to boot windows, oh joy. Wasted 2 hours last night fixing that mess, then defraggin 8) Still no cable as of this morning = no interenet at home. I am hoping to get it back today, but I am really just thankful to have electricity at home now. Mom-inlaw and grandpa are staying with us till their power gets restored. Hopefully it will be soon!

Torizzt
Whee!

Postby Torizzt » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:53 am

I was reading about that storm alittle today and glad to hear you and your family are ok.Its tough with no electricity , especially with that heat and all but atleast you and your family are ok.Take care and see you back in game soon.

Torizzt