What about it?

Moderator: Littlabit

Skratz
Almost as hot as Diz!

What about it?

Postby Skratz » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:39 pm

So everyone has their favorite class (or classes).

Reply here and tell us what class you love playing and why you love it!
~Predator Skratz Nsniff º¿º
Now residing in WoW

Skratz
Almost as hot as Diz!

Postby Skratz » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:46 pm

I love playing a beastlord. As a beast you are jack of all trades, master of none. I can pick up where other classes in the group fall behind. I can also solo well while looking for a group. There is always something to keep me busy while playing a beastlord. Slowing mobs, offtanking, spot healing, buffing. It's non-stop excitement for me! Plus, the ladies love the pet. 8)
I enjoy playing a troll because there are not many trolls on our server. They have good regen, and can see over the crowd if needed, or shrink like the rest. They are also notoriously smelly which is good for hours of bad puns!

Cruz
Whee!

Postby Cruz » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:17 pm

Hmm my favorite class...
They are all bittersweet, both good and bad. I have a love/hate relationship with them all.

My favorite class ever is Enchanter. I loved that their strength is a subtler one. Things just so smoother, faster and easier when one is in the group. They don’t have any DPS to speak of (charming aside). They can’t tank. They can’t heal. They just make everyone else that much better. On the bitter side, I hate that the mezz line is locked to level; I have been 70 for months yet until yesterday I could not mezz anything above even con regardless of skill or gear. I just didn’t have the one spell needed for it. I love and hate charming, it is so powerful (in older zones), so dangerous, so wearing in the nerves. I play EQ to relax, when I have been charming for any period of time I feel like a Chihuahua on crack…not pleasant.

My second favorite is Rogue (big surprise?). I love to explore, what is around that corner?, what does sleepers bubble look like? How many people have crawled into all the back areas of Seb, Charsis, ST, VP, VT, Kael, Skyshrine, ToV, NToV, Old mischief plane, etc, etc, etc… I have! Because I have SoS. I love being able to bring DPS that you can feel. When I get on the back of the mob I can see the difference my DPS is making in the mobs health bar. What I hate about the Rogue may not be what you expect. I don’t mind dragging all your carcasses around after a wipe. What I hate is my utter and complete dependency. There is not more dependant class in the game. I cannot solo at all, Clerics solo a hundred times better. I cannot do significant DPS without buffs from at least 2-3 other classes. Even with those buffs I cannot do significant DPS unless the mob it fairly still and I am on his back (honestly, after time how often does this happen?). Rogues are a one trick pony and it takes many supporting classes and perfect mob positioning to even get that trick to work.

Buaz
Whee!

Postby Buaz » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:38 pm

I love playing an SK. There is something inherently satisfying about soloing a big mob by siphoning its health and strengths to use against it.

Snap aggro is a ton of fun. Competition for aggro with Pallies on plows is a blast. There are many aggro tools to choose from as an SK, so it keeps me pretty busy. It's sooooo easy to be Hated.

And how can anyone solo or explore without Feign Death? Really? OMG I love that ability. Countless times I've bitten off too much, only to save myself at 2percent health FD.

Big Green Bait

Saphirone
Whee!

Postby Saphirone » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:30 pm

Monk. Love playing my Monk. Just have no patience for groups that low of a level.

Omniox
Whee!

Postby Omniox » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:48 pm

ShadowKnight...After playing a SHD every other class that I have played just seems boring. I love the Taps the Drains the Feigns. Most of all just being a tank. I think the most favorite part is when your Health is dropping really fast and you dont see a heal message and you get to 2% and that CH hits you... Oh boy thats fun :) but that is tanks in general. I like SHD's cause of the wide varity of spells to hold agro. Oh and to top it off the HT is cool.

I would make a Pally but I already have a tanking cleric :P

Laminate
Whee!

Postby Laminate » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:55 pm

i have played about every class in the game yes bard included (60+) i haven't played a beastlord too high, or a pally past 50, but i have a good idea after 7 years of what it's like to be one lol.

The most challenging and yet so fun at the same time class for me would have to be an Enchanter. From charm and mezz to buffs and debuffs, the enchanter has a wide variety of roles that are, however, challenging. It is also an exciting adventure each time you play. I don't find any significant downfalls to an enchanter, besides that they can't tank :). To know that when the adds start piling on, everyone in your group is depending on your skill, is a feeling i like about this class. I also have a thing for illusions. Not to mention other spells enchanters have, ae stuns, tash, haste, mind buffs, faction modifier spells, and combat illusions like boon of the gauru, trickster's animation, and night's dark terror.. oh and G-Flux...

Another class i love is the Rogue. Just like Cruz put it. It's great and all to be all that dps and sneaky skills, man is it fun, but the dependancy gets to yah. Can't do a dern thing without someone taking the damage so you can get at its back. I find throwing to be extremely fun as a rogue though. I got me some 23/15 throwing javelins with 225 or so range and they are great. Got my level 67 or something throwing disc and it does damage in the 600's and proc's 300 dd. something about critical strikes on every throw and deadly strikes on every other throw when your behid them that's fun.

When i get bored of depending on a group with my rogue, i log onto my 67 sk. It's very fun to go from rogue to sk. Tanking is a whole new experience. Also with a sk, you get the pleasure of pulling a lot of times. Working skill with FD is deadly fun. All those lifetap procs and spells and AA is just a blast soloing stuff or tanking stuff with minimal healing needed. 7th veteran aa just makes lifetaps and stuff all the better!

Lastly, a CLERIC! yes i know a lot of people find it boring, and plenty of people who dont play clerics, say they could never play one and they'd be too bored. Actually, i find playing clerics to be such a blast, even when they aren't yours, esp when they have good gear and aa (hylea woot) i've played a couple of clerics and they are a blast. Again kinda like the chanter thing, to know everyone's depending on you once hits start flying, is a neat feeling and exciting. Timing heals and using all the different cleric abilities in a combo is something that takes skill and is fun. ps. if u get bored, Hammer Time!
Elf Slayer Lamicrate Crenshinibon of Vazaelle
105 Halfling Rogue - <Celestial Navigators>
High Priestess Baelea of Vazaelle
105 High Elf Cleric - <Celestial Navigators>

Scribe Laminate The Ember
105 High Elf Enchanter - <Celestial Navigators>

-------------------------------------------------

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:41 pm

I loved my ranger, I really had not played any other class until one day I acquired this shammy guy from a retiring guildy. Great I thought, I can get plats for Jaff with it (JAff was still wearing banded at 50 so he needed gear).

Well a few years later I am still playing that Shammy - it is now my main. I love the versatility. Most of my EQ life has been solo, sitting around lfg is not my thing at all, so the ability to 'do it all' and to be self sufficient is great. Sure the usefullness part is also pleasant, but I have found that Trab is less usefull now than he was in the past.

I am not fond of the way the shammy class has gone with the past few expansions, actually the advent of the beastlord started it for me. Being invited into a group, buffing it and then being booted for the BST cos he has better dps is annoying and has given me a slight degree of animosity (sorry Skratz, Tardar et all).

However watching how Edhil and other play the ranger has made me consider getting Jaff up to par. Torr was our tank in MPG tonight and did a great job there. I forsee some two boxing:)

Kahlyla
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Postby Kahlyla » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:07 pm

I love playing a ranger! I have literally one alt and never play her, lol. I love Kahly way too much.

I like that I can solo if need be, but what I really enjoy is playing a ranger in a group. When I first started EQ I actually spent most of my time duoing with a rogue, so I always played my ranger as a tank/kiter/healer. We did a ton of fear and aggro kiting and I was always excited to find a mob I could actually tank down - usually to be followed by 10+ minutes of downtime due to ranger healing/medding, lol.

I've never viewed my class as a one-trick pony and I've never accepted that I can't be the tank or healer in a pinch. If a cleric or chanter is getting beat on, then it IS my job to save them! Of course, it doesn't always work out! But the ability to get aggro quickly and keep it through strong DPS has always been one of my favourite features of rangers.

I also love playing a ranger on CN raids, alongside my comrades. It's about the only time I use third person view, and I use it just to watch how cool we look standing back together and shooting arrows at the nasties! It makes me feel honoured and excited to be a part of the ranks here, and I really feel like the rangers are a team on raids. It's supersweet when we get to be heroic too - being one of the last people left alive trying to tank down a mob while holding aggro on it before those 24 seconds run out is always a thrill!

Zantetsuken
Iron Cutting Sword

Postby Zantetsuken » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:56 am

Big surprise from me, its gonna be the berserker.

The main draw for me to the class was they were a dps class thats main weapon style was using 2handers. Since with pally i was very adamant about using 2handers and never really into the fad of 1hander and shields. On good side of a berserker, we good 2 ablities that is pretty unique for a dps class, a stun and snare ablities(only bad thing is they are linked ablities and they have a 30 second refresh time). Later introduced with DoN was the Volley ability, letting you you doa range attack with 4 throw axes within melee range causing a nice amount of pain. And if you take the time to work on its dps AA's it can really turn into a Dps Juggernaut. Only real drawback from the class is efficently controlling aggro. The other reason this my favorite class is it was hated or it was kind of a underdog class(im sure thats changed now)... also gotten tell why a zerk, why not a rogue. Well for me, i don't care much for only being able to to do my max potential of dps from the backside and i don't really find a dagger that cool... a big ol' axe big fun.
Lightbringer Zantetsuken
"Men in battle, do not need women. My love is my Sword!" - The Almighty Dekar from Lufia II
Axe Master Verige
"The weak only strive to be weaker." - Magus from Chrono Trigger

SpenSir
Lord, Lady, and the Dutchess!

Postby SpenSir » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:04 am

Well, I enjoy the cleric these days just for the fact I like the 2.3-second window I have to save the group. During raids it’s a little different with three tanks in my group. Sometimes I fell bad when peeps die but I hope they understand I have to pick a person to pre-heal and then decide who will need a heal next based on what I see around me. Meaning I always play third person view, peripheral view is key.

This brings me to my favorite class, the powerful, god-like Enchanter. The best skill an Enchanter has is the ability to predict the future. When the chit hits the fan there is no other class you want in your group. Like Cruz said, things go smoother and groups begin to take more risks. These risks add to the flavor of the experience and over all satisfaction of a mission completed.

I will admit the direct effect our mez has on how viable we are sucks eggs but once you get the next level spell, you’re boss. The best class to back an Enc up is the cleric. I have the honor to group with great clerics. I know how I need to react when I play the cleric learning for many ober peeps I still group with. Unikyte learned long ago to shoot a heal my way when I get hit no matter what. I have the sequence of CC needed, save arse AA/spells ready; just keep me alive for teh win. With Enchanters in the group there is no bad situation, just another chance to prove why we rule all.

So many things to talk about with the Enc class I could write a book. Just understand Enchanters allow the lesser classes to exist for our benefit. We of higher intelligence perform our mind-boggling skills only when necessary. Yeah…Enc’s are the best by far.

Bobbert
Whee!

Postby Bobbert » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:28 am

For me, playing a warrior is right where it's at. I love the character....yet hate the path taken to get them where it needs to be. Pally's and SK's have a huge hand over a warrior because of their snap-aggro when it comes down to selecting a LFG'r. We are, as as cruz alluded to, another heavily class dependant character. I really need the buffs from several other classes or I really start being dependant on the skills of that single cleric or druid to keep me healthy.

Over the last 2 years I have found another couple toons in which I enjoy playing. Shaman. They are a extremely versatile character and even though that puppy could use a few more HP's, he can do the job for a few seconds allowing the rest of the crew to get out, rez or whatever. The bard on the other hand is trully a fascinating character to watch. The difference bewteen a good bard and terrible bard are very easily seen. Personally, I see myself as the latter of the two. But hey, because I can't play one very well doesn't mean that I can't have fun being a terrible bard. :lol:

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:03 am

Oh man it is sooooo hard to start. I can't pick a favorite but I do like some more than others... As far as "easy" and "difficult" classes go, those terms are really very relative. If all I did on Silly was complete heal she'd be boring, easy, and not very fun....but just because a toon has one specialty doesn't mean they shouldn't be doing other things as well.

So here are some of my favorites:

-Bard! There is literally NOTHING a bard can't do. They are the real jack of all trades and it takes a special person to play a bard very well.

-Priests. All of them! Everyone loves a priest, there's never a shortage of room in groups for them. I love being directly responsible for whether a group lives or dies. I love playing a class that is very interactive and who's abilities excell when teamed with others.

-Monk (I'd imagine SK too if I ever played them). I like to lead and sometimes it is difficult being a "backseat driver" ...like with the cleric. It is hard to say "okay we need to plow around such & such a corner, killing such and such first" etc. With a monk, you just do it. Leading Tipt the other day was 100x easier on the monk then the cleric cause all people had to do was kill the stuff I brought. Simple!

Some classes I don't like to play as much:

-Warrior. Honestly I'm not sure why I don't like to play them. The tank is kind of the center of the group...I don't know why but I'd rather be in the back or way up font. Maybe because the warrior has to rely on too many other factors...is that healer going to heal me? Is that monk going to bring 8 mobs? Too many things beyond my control and I'm a control freak.

-Enchanter. No room for mistakes. I'm good at mistakes and I make them often. You have to be perfect if you're an enchanter!!! Too much pressure :shock:

The rest are all kind of neutral. I like to play pretty much all of them but obviously cleric & monk are my favorite ;)

Skratz
Almost as hot as Diz!

Postby Skratz » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:28 am

-Bard! There is literally NOTHING a bard can't do. They are the real jack of all trades and it takes a special person to play a bard very well.

LIES! Bards cannot heal, bst cannot mez. They share the role of jack of all trades. 8)

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:31 am

I actually enjoy playing my cleric, most of the time.

I'm not one of the sorts that tries to DPS, just really not my thing. I'd be disappointed in the numbers I'd put up and start focusing on it, and start neglecting my main job, both short and long term (Nuking instead of healing, diverting AAs better spent on improving my ability to heal).

I like the power, the responsibility, and the sheer influence I have over my group. Not influence in the "we're doing this, or I'm leaving" way, but rather the way a good cleric can make up for the shortcomings of several other members of the group. That is, even if the group sucks, my skills and resources allow me to (usually) make things work.

I like pure, highly focused classes. Cleric, the knight classes, that sort of thing. I tend to pick classes that do "Thing X" better than any other class, and focus on being as good at "Thing X" as I can manage.

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:05 am

LIES! Bards cannot heal, bst cannot mez. They share the role of jack of all trades.

They CAN mez- Derdarr did a fine job last nihgt, and they can heal (albeit VERY slowly). They are the original jack of all trades even before beasties were discovered skratz ;)

Sorry ;)

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:22 am

He was trying to say that bards can't heal (they regen, not heal ;)), and beastlords cannot mez (which they can, actually, if you accept pettanking as a form of mez).

Skratz
Almost as hot as Diz!

Postby Skratz » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:07 am

Aye, Silly misread. I do not consider pet tanking any form of mez. Beast pets get eaten a lot faster then magi pets.

So I guess we should call bards and beasts (i'll not abbreviate bst so Silly doesn't misread) the official "Jack of all but 1 trades" hahahaha

Also I do agree that bards were the first "Jack off all but 1 trades"

I have nothing against bards, I really admire them. I'm actually thinking about making a bard alt since I cannot find anything else to do :)

This whole thread was actually made so I could secretly see what people found the joys of certain classes to be so I could pick an alt! hah! But it turned into a very interesting post and I have learned a lot about people's playstyles and joys.

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:23 am

It certainly is an interesting insight into people's mentality.

Fuddara
Still floating about

Postby Fuddara » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:40 am

I play a rogue because I'm extremely lazy. No other class offers me the same amount of ease of playing.

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:05 pm

LOL I did misread that :oops: Too quick to defend the rockstars :smt035

Cruz
Whee!

Postby Cruz » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:27 pm

I play a rogue because I'm extremely lazy. No other class offers me the same amount of ease of playing.

Clearly you need to be put on MA duty for a while on raids.

Wizzy is the class that is easiest to be lazy at...not rogues... People will notice if your AFK for a whole fight...With the wizzy you have to go look at the parses to tell that.

Laminate
Whee!

Postby Laminate » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:12 pm

I like rendus's mentality with the "Thing X" that's a good way to make sure you are doing what you should be doing, as well as improving your playability of your special class features / abilities.
Elf Slayer Lamicrate Crenshinibon of Vazaelle
105 Halfling Rogue - <Celestial Navigators>
High Priestess Baelea of Vazaelle
105 High Elf Cleric - <Celestial Navigators>

Scribe Laminate The Ember
105 High Elf Enchanter - <Celestial Navigators>

-------------------------------------------------

Tchien
Munkygurl

Postby Tchien » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:42 pm

I started playing the game as a beastlord and will always have a hug for them, but I absolutely love being a monk. The ability to split large groups is so much fun. Bards can do it too, but monks don't get carpal tunnel :P

Cleric is also fun, from a roleplaying perspective, especially an evil one. It's so much fun giving all those high elves a hard time. I believe that a priest, particualrly a powerful one, should embody the ideals of the diety they serve.

Dips
Ankle Biter

Postby Dips » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:17 pm

Warrior is the only way for me. I can tell you guys this...there is no bigger thrill than to stand there and take the punishment any mob can dish out. ...ok ok so im cleric dependant, right right. But at the end of the battle, after the blood has been spilled, it's a great honor to be the Main Tank.

I created a Mage and have alot of fun with him.

I started as a Druid...

thats all i have to say about that.

Saphirone
Whee!

Postby Saphirone » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:41 pm

Cruz wrote:

Clearly you need to be put on MA duty for a while on raids.

Wizzy is the class that is easiest to be lazy at...not rogues... People will notice if your AFK for a whole fight...With the wizzy you have to go look at the parses to tell that.
]

Huy Man That's Muh CLASS!! And I ain't lazy! You can always tell if I'm AFK just by if I'm quiet or not.. Then you must seek out Ommina... He'll know what happened!

Pohl
Whee!

Postby Pohl » Mon May 15, 2006 10:09 pm

I think I'm playing my favorite classes, altho I have played most of them maybe not to 70 but many to at least 50. Paladin's have a few drawbacks mostly we don't get the hp's that many of the other tanks get, at one time that was becase we were so adept at using stuns to mitigate damage, now days with very few stuns that actually stun a mob we come up short. Still I like tanking and healing people, I like being able to hold agro well even if I can't keep the mob stationary like a warrior can, still tring to figure out they do that--probably fast weapons and duel welding is part of the key.

Also I like playing my necro, they are also a jack of all trades. Being able to do most things of other classes and speciallizing in a few of their own. Necro's don't get all the attention as do some of the other classes but they're nice to have. Kinda like having a BL with more dps and less hps and group buffs. Also very nice to have when you don't have good crowd control as a necro can usually take an add and kite it around a bit, somtimes killing it before the rest of the group finnishes the original mob. I have always wondered about making me a bard but I don't have a clue as to how I would play one.

Mostly I like having two lv70 toons that I can switch out on where needed and totally change up my style of play, and I can tell you tank's are more tireing to play they have to concentrate on agro and possisioning all the time, whereas a caster class can just sit back and play half awake.

Drolek
Whee!

Postby Drolek » Fri May 19, 2006 5:12 pm

Well I started off playing an SK .. Was fun but only got to lvl 30 .. Started playing Venayven .. played him for like 3 years while toying around with Zerker .. After playing Zerker to High end I got really addicted to DPS .. Even tho I cannot tank I like dealing lots of damage ..So I would have to say after trying several classes ... Beserker is tops for me .. :whax: