PoR WTF!!!!!

Moderator: Littlabit

Freya
Whee!

PoR WTF!!!!!

Postby Freya » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:57 am

Okay so Pallistous and I were talking last night.. and we decided that this new expansion is horrid! They screwd up alchemy .... doing away with all the old receipes... I mean really WTF is that about? I was so closing in on 300 and now I am in statis because SOE decided to mess with us... GRRRR. People like Silly who are devoted players got ripped by not allowing for new aa's in her class as well as anyh of the others except for rouge and what was the other???. The MM's, which, okay were a disaster for the game... are so not worth doing now, so that aspect of the last expansion is now worthless. EWven the wonderous "war Horse" is sad.... very sad. My human warrior run faster with no speed buffs... wtf??? I feel for all of you that had to actually pay for this expansion.... I really do.
Do-da Do-da....

Rendus
Nekoconeko

RE: PoR WTF!!!!!

Postby Rendus » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:12 am

As a consumer of potions, I like the revamp. The names of the items make more sense, it sounds like some vital combines end up being signifigantly cheaper (like gate potions), the "10 dose Thingy of Doing Stuff" is gone in favor of stacks of 20 of things...

New AAs are released pretty much every other expansion. Kunark and Velious had no AA system. Luclin introduced them. POP had new AAs, LDON didn't. Gates of Discord did, Ykesha didn't. Omens of War did, Dragons of Norrath didn't. Depths of Darkhollow did, thus POR won't. Rogues, bards, and knights got new AAs to take advantage of new aspects of the game.

The new war horses are just modifications to whatever horse bridle you fed them. If you used it on a 9k horse, you've now got a 9k pretty horse that's just as slow. If you used it on a 100k horse, you've got a pretty horse that's really fast. If you didn't use it on a bridle at all, you got a slow, free pretty horse horse.

While people didn't get new AAs, we get new spells. Clerics get a new group Heal over Time spell that'll heal for 900/tick. We get a nearly-never-ending Bulwark of Vie aura. We get a new cure of questionable use. On that front I'm happier with POR more than I am with DODH, but I can't speak for other classes in this regard.

Everyone that bought it got 8 more bank slots.

Yeah, it's a fairly ho-hum expansion, but it's not out of line with Sony's standard development cycle of one deep and fulfilling expansion, then one shallow and mostly disinteresting one. There's lore to be found even in the minor expansions (the wayfarers in LDON are responsible for the Gates/Omens storylines, for example), but it's certainly not a groundbreaking new gameplay experience.

Freya
Whee!

RE: PoR WTF!!!!!

Postby Freya » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:07 am

As a consumer of potions I can could understand your point... however, here is my disagreement: things such as gate, and other time saving elements of the game are supose to be a luxury, not a standard of the game; thus the expense issue. To make gate potions (as the example since it was brought up) was costly to the maker, thus the high price in selling them. But I believe this to be a good thing. It helps to regulate game play. It allows for other classes to use their skills to profit etc. It also makes the classes abit more true to their nature. Meaning that if you choose to play a warrior there are up sides and down sides to that. (you will run slow... but take alot of hits )It forces inter-class relations... which is what EQ is meant to be about.. people playing with others to achieve a common goal. Making things too easy, too cheap, leads to further disengagement. (hince why MM's were bad for EQ). And as a maker of potions... to suddendly take away all the reciepes, materials, etc is a shock and a blow to the tradeskill and tradeskiller. I realize that not many in CN were affected by this change, but imgaine if SOE suddenly took away all the tailoring or smithing receipes... I think there would be a huge upheaval ... and perhaps SOE is planning on doing something similar to all the TS's ... I don't know...

And on the note of SOE's standard development cycle... wow wouldn't it be nice to surprise the players that have been loyal and spent a hec of a lot of money.. and give them two expansions back to back that were worth thier time and money???
Do-da Do-da....

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:13 am

Monster Missions are still worth doing. The ones in Thurg result in good gear and a aug progression that results in better than slipgear. Now, maybe some aren't worth doing anymore because they nerfed the exp, I dunno. But there are some still worth doing, for sure.

As for changes in the game, you would think that they would have learned from Star Wars Galaxies. Major changes there cost them a huge player base and many refunds. But, some people never learn. Also, how long do they test this stuff? Minutes, hours? I find it amazing each time they come out with a new expansion and then BAMN! Everything is fucked up for days on end. Amazing indeed.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Quait
Whee!

Postby Quait » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:59 am

All i hear is that they made these changes to make alchemy a legit and viable tradeskill thats on par with the others... Small problem with that discription, Alchemy is Shaman Only, It will Never be a true tradskill, so as far as im concerned, these changes have been uterly pointless to the player. Bottom line is its another time sink cloaked in the New and Improved banter...

My alchemy boycott is stronger then ever..

Have not seen near enough of PoR as a whole to say one way or another where id rank it. Just know i bought the expansion because of the same reason most do, because they released it /shrug ..

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:16 pm

The expansion has been out for, well, a week today.

How much of the actual content have you experienced in that time? If less than half, isn't it a bit early to start making any claims one way or another about it's quality?

Because right now I'm reading this as "they changed alchemy, therefore PoR sucks".

(I'll ignore the inherent contradictions in the joint sentiments that MMs "were a disaster for the game" and "are so not worth doing now".)

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:18 pm

Have not seen near enough of PoR as a whole to say one way or another where id rank it. Just know i bought the expansion because of the same reason most do, because they released it /shrug ..

:lol: :lol: :lol:
We're all such suckers!

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:36 pm

That's not true! I promised myself that I would not buy this expansion as soon as it came out, like I did with all the others.

And I didn't!

I waited until Thursday.

Qurillanea
Whee!

Postby Qurillanea » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:58 pm

Any Rangers looking for your PoR abilities?

As a ranger, I ran about doing many quest hoping for an aura or spell. I did the chalice of life but no aura. I was pissed. Did it for my cleric box and he got an aura (and a nice one at that).

So I try again the next day thinking I was bugged... NOPE!

Few days after PoR has come out I start finding more info about rangers in PoR.

Seems we got the shaft (again).

Rangers dont get anything useful. We get an upgraded to the Ancient Burning Chaos, which is OK I guess (especially if you dont have ABC), but I'm ok with my current setup.

Oh, and our only other ability was another spell. A chromatic root with a -30 resist check. Did I mention that it has a 15 second recast timer? No? Yep.. its almost useless.

--

On the plus side all the stuff we had in beta was found to either not work correct or just plain suck, so these were jammed in at the last moment to attempt to give is SOMETHING at least, even though it was advertised that all classes would be getting something on par, like auras and such (which we are lacking).... HOWEVER.

The last of our removed abilities was taken out just before the PoR expansion being pushed to the live servers. Because of this there wasn't exactly any time to put new abilities out and beta testing so they settled to give us a couple of spells. The root is honestly one that should be more useful than the nuke, given its resist mod, but instead its horrible.

There may be hope in the end however. Rytan ( eq ranger dev / ranger player ) is supposed to be trying to push for ranger abilities to be added / revamped post expansion. This sucks, but its better than nothing at all (or what we have, which is essentially just 1 spell).

I'm a sad, sad ranger.
---

On the equipment side though, there are new fletchable bows! Of course I saw them in baz for 600k.. no WAY they are worth that much, but the expansion just came out so people are gonna try to sell them at super exorbitant prices for all the uber rich people who just wanna have it befor others do and dont care what it cost them (real or virtual cash).

Oh.. and howdy CN. Figure your all closed up for a long time now, but I might as well be chatty. Never know when the time will come again. :P

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:28 pm

As far as expansions go, they can release one every week and the only change they make is that I can make my chest icon color a different shade of blue. I will always buy every expansion because I will always want to be able to do something if somebody asks me to help in the new places. They can suck my wallet dry, along with whatever else they can get their lips around, and I'll just deliver.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:32 pm

I have yet to see a good reason to get it, I am still way behind with OOW, GoD and DoD. I need a bunch of spells etc (not saying this is anybody's fault btw) so paying for yet another expansion seems like a waste of cash. Although Trabs bank is full...

Bolwyn
His Own Special Title

Postby Bolwyn » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:12 pm

Alchemy has alot less farming now, much more standardized and had better potions added. Also Freya, it costs about the same to make gate potions, so you can still sell em as a luxury =)

Freya
Whee!

Postby Freya » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:02 am

Um, if I am not mistaken... and that is very possible.. but the helitrope that is used to make Gate use to cost 83pp and now, I saw it for 41pp... seems like that would be half the cost... but I could be mistaken... as i often am.
Do-da Do-da....

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:02 am

Gate potion doesn't use heliotrope now Freya so the cost of that is not the issue:) No clue what the recipie is though lol

Bolwyn
His Own Special Title

Postby Bolwyn » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:07 pm

Yes, it does still use heliotrope, but the added ingredients almost make up for the price reduction of those... Philter of Major Translocation - 2 heliotrope, 1 blade leaf, 1 yebamante, 3 handful of prism grains, 1 simple potion vial.
It works out to about 40p less per potion i think.

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:49 am

oh I must have misread the recipie when I skimmed thru Traders

Qmaus
Whee!

Postby Qmaus » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:17 am

Rogues got it pretty bad, too.

Not going to go much into the poison issue. Suffice to say that we're just upset about the same old issue: poisons are not very useful tradeskill for making a profit on. No big deal, always been that way.

Our big issues are primarily the fact that we're beginning to think SoE just doesn't like our class and is determined to make us so useless and obsolete that we will all roll up berserkers because SoE devs like them more.

The hallmark of a high level rogue is, of course, our Shroud of Stealth AA. This is what allows us to drag our friends' corpses from right under the noses of the very gods themselves. Although some mobs can see us when we're using SoS, these mobs are few and far between in most cases. NOT ANYMORE!!! There have been reports of people zoning into PoR instances and finding that 50% to 100% of the trash mobs can see SoS!! So much for us being useful. Also, it seems that our usual hide/sneak is kinda broken. Alot of the times we're being told that we're sneaking / hiding and a mob can't see us, but the mob DOES see us. Also, I noticed the other day that the message I normally get telling me that a mob can't see my invis friends is now broken also. I was con'ning mobs in a Dranik's Hollows instance and being told "this mob won't see your invis friends." But the mob saw them anyway, and some of my guildies died as a result.

Traps. The new trap system is a nightmare. First of all, our old "Sense Traps" and "Disarm Traps" skills are now apparently totally broken. We have two new skills that start at skill level of 1. One of them lets us show other people the traps we can no longer detect once we've detected them, LOL. The other one lets us remove our own traps that we have set.

To make matters even worse, the traps in the game have all been re-designed. One of the current problems with our old, now-broken, sense traps skill is that the traps have a trigger range that exceeds the range of a maxxed out sense traps skill. Sooooo, we will trigger a trap before we can get close enough to use our skill to figure out it's there.

We didn't get an aura; we got the ability to set a trap instead. Yay us (/em cynical). We get a stupid trap that breaks our sneak / hide when we set it, lasts for only about 30 seconds then disappears, snares the mob (not really something a rogue has much call for), AND pops us right to the top of the mob's hate list when the mob gets snared by the trap! Apparently all mobs are now psychic and know precisely who set the trap they just walked over and can easily find that trap-setter even if he is sneaking / hiding and using Shroud of Stealth because being on a mob's hate list renders Shroud of Stealth useless.

Ugh! The only thing i'm good for now is making bad jokes :cry:
If not for that, nobody would have any legitimate reason to group with me anymore.