What is happening to our world?

Moderator: Littlabit

Szork
Whee!

Postby Szork » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:07 am

I have a very different perspective, Goofy. It's strange how different the part of the world I see is from what you describe.

Yes, I see all kinds of adds for medications for this and that. But do I personally know anyone who subscribes to that crap? No. I think most people know better than to trust every money-grabbing advertisement they see. I would even venture to say that fully HALF of all people are above average intelligence! (no, really!) While the pharmaceudical industry is getting a bit out of hand, it's no different from any other big business. Food, auto, entertainment, clothing... what ISN'T a big money grab?

The solution lies in teaching people to avoid becoming a part of the consumerism. Teach them to buy cheese from the local home-run deli, not from the massive supermarket. Or to take transit, or to get a hybrid vehicle if they can. There are so many no-cost changes people could make that would directly impact these problems. Teach people to break the McHabit and don't drive your SUV the 10 miles to WalMart when you can buy the same thing for $0.50 more, but next door.

Most people I meet seems to have a fairly good base knowledge of things, call it "common sense," and are able to learn. They don't all agree, but most have enough respect to listen to others, confidence to present their own views, and tolerance to not walk away angry from a conversation about "delicate" issues. We are a very well educated society of people who are able to understand the issues that affect them and their world - now we just need to move from "are able to" to "do."

This is why I'm quite surprised that Teory and Zoey are so against discussing this in an open forum. Are we not among a group of peers that respect one another? Can we not learn something from each other? If we can't debate an issue here, then I'd be very nervous about how a real life meeting would turn out. Should I bring my sword to Vegas, just in case someone takes offense? =P

Siderius
Kim Son Quang

Postby Siderius » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:28 am

Did you know that any given person at any given time has over 200 contaminants in their body? Hurray for humanity!

Is 200 little or much? how many of these are normal and would be found in any person even before our time... say you took a person which lived at his house in the mountains like in the middle ages.. how many contaminates would you find in him?
I guess similar number.

The hype about what we eat and which chemicals we add to our food is out of proportions. Like is there anything you can eat that dont give you cancer?
[75 Wildblood] <a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=666907">Tarjei</a>(Iksar)
[75 Grand Arcanist] <a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=664788">Siderius</a> (Gnome)

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Stephen Roberts

Teory
Post Count Kin... Queen

Postby Teory » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:28 am

If we can't debate an issue here, then I'd be very nervous about how a real life meeting would turn out.

I can assume we won't be discussing religion and politics that much in Las Vegas and that it's a lot easier to take cues as to who is comfortable with a discussion and who isn't, in real life.

And yes, there are participants in the thread who are enjoying it - there are also another 125 guildies who aren't participating in it, and it's harder to guage their reaction. I just think it's unnecessary for this place, which is our everquest refuge, to be a place of political debate - but you're adults so trudge onwards.

I love a good debate as well - I just like the fact that I can go hunting with elves, dwarves and trolls without regard to their political suasion, and while it is all well and good to think "bah, you shouldn't be so thin skinned as to think someone's political views should influence your views of them in game" it happens.
Teory Yitelar<br>Venerable, Veritable Mischief Maker

Freya
Whee!

Postby Freya » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:54 am

Oh Oh a sociological debate!!!! I gotta get in on this one...
Okay, I agree that the news is depressing.. or can be. But I have a huge problem with people who blame the media for the ills of the world. I mean when it comes down to it.. you have a brain.. you have self-control, infact, you really are the only one that can control how you percieve things. The media only gives us what we accept. The fact of the matter is that people are generally intrested in the woes of others... (maybe it makes them feel better about their own lives ??? who knows) my point is that the world is really what you percieve it to be. I mean you can see all the violence and such and be sad about it, but it has always existed and probably always will. But you can take the knowledge of it (and to hear that so many of you are choose to hide away from it... saddens me a bit) and be pro-active, see it as a chance for good things to happen, as a chance for you to live outside yourself in a positve way.. do something... that does take you out of your comfort zone, and show the world the compassion you feel is lacking. I implore you all to not let the "evils" in this world overshadow the good in your hearts, don't let it make you a prisoner. Becuase if you let it do that.. the "evils" exist because of you.

Okay enough of my lecture.... I hope that I did not offend anyone.. my intention was to remind all of you that you do have the power... not the media or government or anyone else.. you do.. but you have to accept the responsibilty of that.... I love you all!!!!

Quait
Whee!

Postby Quait » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:25 am

and here i was just about to discuse my plans on taking over the world using slave monkeys and goofy's goat harrem.. oh well..

typed out and backspaced many times now, just can't find the right words, so i'll keep it simple..

censorship is a political view in its own right..

wanting to censor this thread = irony

Freya
Whee!

Postby Freya » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:28 am

Who was talking about censorship????
Do-da Do-da....

Quait
Whee!

Postby Quait » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:31 am

your post just happen to beat mine in frey, wasn't about you

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:35 am

Speaking of censorship - I share T's concerns but to a lesser degree. If the thread gets out of hand, it'll probably be locked by The Man or one of his pawns, but I see no reason to try to dissuade this year's political thread so long as it stays civil ;)
<a href="">Test</A>

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:35 am

You wouldn't find any where close to 200 contaminates in a persons body 200 years ago. The water wasn't polluted. The air wasn't polluted. Fish weren't loaded with PCBs and Mercury. There wasn't pesticides on everything you ate nor were there hormones in your meat and dairy products. I'm not saying this stuff will kill you, but I'm not saying it will keep you healthy either. It is just a simple fact.

As for people, I know very little who have any degree of common sense. Drive 10 minutes down the round in a populated area and you will see 95% of the people do not have common sense. People, in general, are dumbed down, doped up and clueless. Of course, thats just my opinion. And, in fact, I am a asshole. Nevertheless, things are getting more and more bleak everyday.

Does that mean that I won't have a drink and shoot a game of pool with the local moron in a bar? No, it just means once the game of pool is over, I will be glad I had a drink.

Big business runs the government, the government runs the people and the people reep the poisons. More people equals more of everything that is bad. And there will always be more people. More people equals more pollution, poverty, crime, disease, etc. In 500 years, in reality, how do you think things are going to look on this planet? And most people don't give a shit because they won't be around to deal with it.

I guess in 500 years, we may have all the answers to all of humanitys problems. Maybe we can bring all the animals and plants back to life through DNA research if there is any place left for them to live. But, I highly doubt it.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Siderius
Kim Son Quang

Postby Siderius » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:52 am

I will beg to differ, ppl befor didnt take their water thru a purifyer(or what you call it in english). They didnt even know how to wash the selves. Even if it wasnt exactly the same chemicals I am pretty sure they had them.

We are very sheltered against most things how we live today. I still dont know if 200 is supposed to be much, because it sounds really little. Almost like non eksistent when you think of the millions of chemicals we have in our body.

I am not sure what you have eaten lately, but surely there might have been some paranoid enhancing chemicals in there? (sarcasm)

Anyway 99% of all animals and plants are already extinct what is normal? Our trying to save all animals is what is not normal, in nature some went under some lives. That still counts, until we get the idea we have to save everything. And yes I think if we were here or not just as many would die ... just by other means.

And I do lean more towards Szork's point of view that actually most ppl are smart.

Also how do you decide whos common sense is correct? All have common sense just disagreeing, and seeing that you think 95% have no common sense does that mean that 95% think the same about you? That you are actually the one that lack it?

(PS: There is no attacks in this answer, just questions.)
[75 Wildblood] <a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=666907">Tarjei</a>(Iksar)

[75 Grand Arcanist] <a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=664788">Siderius</a> (Gnome)

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

-- Stephen Roberts

Freya
Whee!

Postby Freya » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:57 am

Well, as far as contaminates... that just plays into the whole "survival of the fittest". The contaminates don't worry me.. what worries me is that the human race keeps fininding superficial ways of extending "life" ( I put it in quotes because I feel that there is a huge difference between just existing and living) So in the end the human race will undo itself trying to keep us living. We will create a weaker and weaker species and one that is unable to survie on the changing planet.
Do-da Do-da....

Zoey
Lost her panties... again!

Postby Zoey » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:17 am

Are we not among a group of peers that respect one another?

Absolutely. I'd like to think that we are among peers that respect one another and each others' differing opinions. I also agree with everything Teory has said in regards to tainting the EQ world with all the horrors that occur in RL. However, my concern with discussing such abrasive topics in this forum is this...

In RL, when you have a conversation/debate with someone you get more then black and white text to read and interpret as you see fit. You see the person's body language, you hear the fluctuations in their voice, the emphasis on certains words. You see, hear and feel the meaning of what the person is trying to say, and most often the meaning of what is said is understood correctly.

I think on these boards, we try to get our point across correctly with smiley faces, exclamation points, and caps. However, the actual meaning can be lost in translation - especially when it comes to such topics that evoke passion.

When such topics are discussed in RL - even with all the joys of human animation - someone's feelings are inevitably going to be hurt or someone is going to get pissed. I just don't want to see high elves and lizzards not sharing in ale and cookies anymore because of a thread.

Actually, it doesn't affect me at all - I don't have to read it - it's just when you see your friends doing something and it becomes clear that someone is going to end up hurt - you gotta speak up.
If you aren't living on the edge - you're taking up too much room

Zoey~

Cruz
Whee!

Postby Cruz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:19 am

Yum yum pesticides. /mourn DDT. The best pesticide ever and the reason we no longer have malaria, typhus, dengue and yellow fever in western countries. Now we live long enough where build up of toxins can be a concern. Cheap to produce, non toxic, non carcinogenic, little to no impact on the environment can even eat the powder raw with no ill effects. Now we have these nasty new organophosphate pesticides and still no other effective way to combat malaria-carrying mosquitoes in the third world.

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:23 am

Sid, it is exactly that kind of thinking which people use to do nothing. We can just use that logic to come to the conclusion that everything is OK and nothing is wrong so who cares.

My common sense, based on facts, says differently.

It is nothing I will argue about, because I don't expect to change your mind or anybody elses. Just posting posts here for people to think about.

Is it common sense to ban a child from school because their parents allowed them to take 2 aspirin to school for the pain of a toothache? I say no, that is not common sense. And then, how did that rule even come into effect? People voted, plans were written out, there were debates and discussions and yet, it became the rule. So everybody involved in that decision wasn't using common sense. So most of the many people involved in this matter had no common sense.

You can see this type of thing everywhere. No common sense is used in the decisions of many all the time. And those are what I consider, to be facts.

Freya
Whee!

Postby Freya » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:44 am

Ah...lol common sense... well see that can be tricky.... let me play devils advocate for a moment... teehee
Lets take your expample of the aspirin at school: you say that you think that it is fact that there is no common sense in not letting a child bring aspirin to school.. or banning them if they do ...but what about this??? There are many children that are allergic to aspirin... and other "harmless" drugs. So, is there maybe some common sense in requiring that children who need aspirin for a toothache go to the school nurse for it.. that way she can check to ensure that the child is not allergic, and more importantly, that way no other child who may be allergic to the aspirin can get ahold of it? Schools have a huge responsibilty to the public. More so than they probably should... becuase most people don't take responsibility for their actions... so.. I can completly understand why they would ban a child from school for that... a rule is a rule... and as silly as it may seem..it exists to protect the children, and the school.
Now, I am nto saying that I agree with that.. hince the devils advocate note... i am just saying becareful what you think is a fact..lool

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:36 am

Using the theory that people do indeed have common sense and are smart, you would come to the conclusion the parents would know if their child was allergic and that the child would know not to give it to anybody else. But in my world, I wouldn't count on either. I wouldn't be surprised if it was against policy for the school nurse to issue aspirin. There is no way for them to know if a child is allergic or not.

And by the way, whatever happened to spanking your child? Hell, I remember when the school principal could spank your child, with the parents consent. I miss those days. Time out young man! Fuck you daddy!! Yea, that works well.

Aubrianna
Whee!

Postby Aubrianna » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:19 pm

Not everyone knows their own allergies....Are you allergic to something? If so, how do you know? You normally won't know until you come in contact with it. Hell I remember I bruised my kidney in like 6th grade. They gave me some medicine (I was a little boy, I took a LOT of medicine for all the stupid stuff I did), and me nor my parents thought nothing of it. Turns out that medicine had a certain chemical or something in it, a chemical found in many many medicines (somehow I have avoided all of them previous to this one) that I had an allergic reaction to that could have killed me if not treated. Theres no way I could have known that until it happened.

And also (not trying to bash ya goofy, just giving some counter examples). While studying to become a teacher myself, and being in some classrooms, I've learned a lot. The whole medicine thing seems to lay on a few common sense principles. The first, obviously is giving some medicine to someone else. Hell I remember borrowing advil or something like that many times from friends in school (while the laws were in affect) but I wasn't allergic. Some people are and don't know it yet, it could have devistating consequences giving some to someone who shouldn't have it. The other is the assumption that parents might not always know best (or the kids are bringing medicine without parential consent, and they more than likely dont know best) about how much to take, how often to take, and just plain what to take for what. This is why it is usually fine to leave your medicine with the school nurse, and she will make sure you need it and take it right. I'm sure someone (if not many people) have accidently overdosed on something, taken something when not supposed to, etc, and really got hurt and/or died. Both of these principles can lead to the hurting or even (if far fetched) death of a kid, and I'm sure its happened. One kid dieing is too much, and so they did what they needed. Theres no way to single handedly know exactly what every kid in the building is holding, and if its medicine to pick them out and make sure they need it. So, they have to go through the nurse, and theres a consequence if they dont. Though banning the kid from school seems outrageous, banning kids from using medicine without an EMT (or whatever the nurses have to be qualified with) from knowing and supervising is a good idea in my opinion.

Just a sort of offtopic thing...I'm sure everyone here knows the game "Chubby Bunny"? Shove a bunch of marshmellows in your mouth, and try and say Chubby Bunny, whoever says it with the most in their mouth wins... Seems simple enough right? Well theres was some occurance (I don't know the facts, it could be a myth) that a little girl apparently got some marshmellows lodged in her throat and died. Well they banned Chubby Bunny from schools, youth groups, camps, whatever. Even if this didn't happen, it could (even if unlikely) its still a serious enough possibility. Like I said before, one kid dieing is too much. I am a game leader for a kids organization. I sure as hell wouldnt want one of my kids to die from some game. Skinned knees, bloody noses....hell I think we've even had a few broken fingers so far... those kids bounce back from and its a learning experience. Theres no going back if one died.

On another note, remember the lady who sued McDonalds for over a million dollars for burning herself with her own coffee? Very stupid, I know. But theres people out there who will find a loophole in something, and abuse it, and jobs get lost and businesses get ruined over people wanting to abuse the system. A parent could claim a child was emotionally harmed with a teacher spanked them, and that teacher would lose his job (he might not have even spanked the kid, but its usually the kids word over the teacher), and the school would get sued. So, basically ANY physical contact from staff to kids is basically banned. If you know a kid enough, and/or their parents, theres some leeway to give a pat on the back or a hug or something, but otherwise teachers are VERY conscious about physical contact of any kind. You can just about be sued by anyone for anything now a days. Its not worth it for a teacher to lose their job and basically career to not follow some of those rules.
Minstrel Aubrianna Melody
70th Herald - Retired

Freya
Whee!

Postby Freya » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:20 pm

oh lets not even get into the spanking issue.... a low-consensus deviant behavior that has so many sides to it.. eep!
Do-da Do-da....

Cruz
Whee!

Postby Cruz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:41 pm

oh lets not even get into the spanking issue

What is wrong with spanking...between consenting adults...

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:50 pm

And a man and his farm animals.

Aubrianna
Whee!

Postby Aubrianna » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:52 pm

If your a teacher, do you want to send a permission slip with each kid, that says "if so and so parent signs this, they are permitting me to spank their kid"? Lol it doesnt sound like a lot of fun to me, and would probably raise some eyebrows. But spanking just goes in the whole physical contact category. Hell a male teacher patting a female student on the back could get accused of sexual harassment (feeling for her bra or something, I dont know) now a days. Even if the kid doesnt feel that way, they could make a side comment to their parents, something along the lines of "I did good on such and such project and the teacher patted me on the back" and some parents will see it, get outraged over it (I know this sounds silly, but it happens). There would be another teacher losing his job. Just thought of it too, but hell spanking could be seen as sexual harassment. "OMG this teacher was trying to feel my but when he was spanking me". From a teaching standpoint it just comes down to how important your job is to you. You have to be VERY conscious when it comes to what you say, how you say it, who you touch (which any touch can be taken so many ways, its basically not a good thing to do at all), etc. People will sue for just about anything these days, and to not get sued companies will fire their employees. It happens in every job.
Minstrel Aubrianna Melody

70th Herald - Retired

Cruz
Whee!

Postby Cruz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:53 pm

If silence is consent, what exactly does ‘Baaaa’ count as?

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:26 pm

Nice posts. Goof is a little far to one side for my taste, but I do agree with a lot of what he said. I believe the original post was about what’s wrong with this world?

Nothing. This world is just as it should be in this stage of human development. Life expectancy has increased as we started taking these 200+ containments. I’m kinda happy I will live to 75 instead of 35 just 300 years ago. On the down side we think every kid hoopin and hollering is A.D.D. and needs to be on Ritalin.

You can’t own a business without retaining a lawyer these days cause of all the BS cases brought against us cause some woman spilled coffee on herself. Of course, these exploits began from very small cases where negligence was apparent. We watched we learned we used to our advantage.

I still don’t think corporal punishment will work in today’s society. It worked wonders on my attitude back in the day. Goof would have 12 licks coming from all the bad words he used! My little girl, back in the day, went to a school where physical punishment was not allowed, but you can bet your butt it was when she got home. Hence the fear of god in her soul kept her walking a fine line between right(boring) and wrong(woot, party is on). Funny thing is she never got one swat and grew up to be a nice young lady.

I guess I take a different rode then most. I don’t shy away or turn my head but I look right at the problems that face this great world we live in. On the other hand I would not hold my hand out to help any idiot I have met or will meet. I don’t like people who don’t help themselves.

Their has always been and always be a certain percentage of all types of people. We see the smaller sects in bigger lights because of the television revolution. But they have always been there. We are making it easier for everyone to live, to dream and express his or her thoughts. Some of the thoughts in this world make me sick.

I watch, read, and listen to the news all the time. I watch for the political decisions made. I can hear 2 hours of political fluff and pick out 'Generation Debt', Wal-Mart ruling on morning after pill, France: Iran military nuke program, just to name a few I saw today. Good stuff guys, is huge in the fact that all three will play huge rolls in affecting mass numbers of people.

And that’s my point. How does each persons actions affect me. In taxes? In my safety? In the world I live in or my children will live? With all the bad the world throws my way I promise you I will live a happy, fun filled, profitable, educated, well-balanced life.

Cause in the end only goats will rule.

Qmaus
Whee!

Postby Qmaus » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:37 pm

Wow, amazing thread with alot of subtopics going on, hehe.

I'll just post a few things that have gone around in my brain since reading it, just for the sake of adding to things.

I have noticed that over the past decade or so it seems (to me) as if our society has become increasingly "fear-driven". I seem to recall a time when most advertisements tried to use desire to sell products and services. They tried to get you to buy by showing you that the advertised item was something really great that you would want. The message was essentially, "Buy this because it will enhance your life."

These days, I see most ads using fear to try and sell. The new message seems to be, "If you don't buy this then you are going to die next week writhing in unimaginable agony." Okay, that's an exaggeration, but i'm just trying to illustrate how I see things there. I just think our society has been working more and more on making people fear everything. Same with the news stories, etc. You have to fear sending your child to school, fear the latest "epidemic" that birds and mosquitos are bringing to your area of the world, fear that your mental / emotional state is out of whack to such an extent that you must be medicated, etc.

I just don't like the whole fear thing. I think it's unnecessarily overdone and causing people to feel anxiety when they don't need to. I'm not saying that everything is that way, as there are legitimate fears advertised as well, I just think the bulk of it can be ignored and serves no useful purpose. Remember the Y2K scare? Unnecessary, but money was made off of it, i'm certain. I feel inundated daily with these types of things.

As for the issue on humanity's ability to reason, I think I fall on the pessimistic side of that discussion. I'm not far enough to say that x% of the population should be slain, though. I will say, however, that I am generally (and please understand the word "generally" does not mean "completely") disappointed in what i've seen of humanity. One of the reasons I play EQ is that I've found many people (such as those in our guild) that I believe are "better" examples of what humanity ought to be (in my mind) than the people I see on a daily basis.

Granted, I DO (and always will) judge people based upon the moral and ethical standards to which I hold my own self, and perhaps those standards may be construed by some to be fairly high. I am disgusted by people that I feel are lacking in "noble sentiment", and it seems to me that the majority of people that i've come in contact with just don't measure up. Perhaps this is just a result of the environments i've lived in, but it's been consistent enough to lead me to believe that reasonable and good-natured people such as our guildmates are actually the exception rather than the norm.

Also, i'm not very likely to excuse people based upon their childhood experiences. I grew up in an abusive environment, but i'm an incredibly non-violent individual despite studies that indicate I should be an abusive person. I've never hit my wife, and I never would. It doesn't even occur to me to do so. I grew up in an area of Los Angeles where I was surrounded by drug dealers, gangs, thieves, etc. But I didn't become like those people. I looked around and decided that I was better than that.

It amazes me to see people doing criminal or even "legal yet unethical" things. Is it really so hard to NOT beat your spouse? Why can't you walk away instead? Or if you can't walk away, why can't you just get the cops? Is it really so hard to NOT steal from people, to NOT kill people, to choose NOT to shoot up a bus full of kids?

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't find it difficult to avoid doing these things, and so when somebody does them, I can't help but shake my head in disappointment.

With all that humanity has been through over the centuries, I'd have expected us to be beyond war by now. I'd have expected us to have evolved to the point where we can discuss our differing opinions civilly, rather than lashing out violently at those who don't agree with us. I would expect that people by now could realize that there are over 6 billion humans on the planet, and that every last one of us "looks upon the world through our own unique pair of eyes." Unfortunately, I don't see much of that sort of thing. It just makes me sad. It crushes my hope.

I recall once thinking about the reasons people strive for wealth. In so many instances the desire initially stems from simply wanting to feel secure in their ability to survive, and then continues to wanting to have a bunch of unnecessary things they can use to make themselves feel superior to others. The reason I bring this up is because I think my outlook on the world can be well defined by my realization that, although I too strive for wealth, my motive differs from the norm.

I share, of course, the desire for security. But beyond that, the reason I have to strive for wealth is so I can afford to largely withdraw from society. I have become so saddened by the people I have come in contact with, that I don't even want to go to the grocery or the bank anymore. I don't want to go to the mall or go out to eat. I just don't want to be around humanity.

THIS I SHOULD MENTION: You guys don't fall into this category, and I would not withdraw from your company, ever. You represent the few people that DO give me hope for the world. If I didn't know you people and a few others like you, I don't think I could ever bear to even get out of bed.

I kinda feel as if I've rambled a bit in this post. And so if it jumps around or doesn't make alot of sense, I apologize. I'm just a very sad person, and I wish that more people in the world that I meet failed to contribute to my sadness.

Siderius
Kim Son Quang

Postby Siderius » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:59 pm

My common sense, based on facts, says differently.

Which facts? Its funny how you call all others idiots hehe, but in a way that dont offend most of them. I think you sound paranoid but I am not going to say thats the only truth, because I know you from these boards and EQ.. and its not enough to judge anyone by.

Still I do actually think that most things are ok, I am 100% sure we humans are not yet capable of destroying nature... we give ourselves way too much credit.

You should listen to George Carlin what he says about this... hes great.

-- Stephen Roberts

unikyte
Princess

Postby unikyte » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:57 pm

edited
Last edited by unikyte on Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freya
Whee!

Postby Freya » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:03 pm

This thread rocks... so many points of views... I am loving it!
but I have to add one small thing.. is it just me or is it kinda funny how many of us have mentioned all the violence in the world today and how horrible it is.. but yet.. here we all sit night after night and play a game that centers most of its guts around killing ????
Do-da Do-da....

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:09 am

You will notice, never once, do I say I am not responsible for everything bad I said I see in the world? Just pointing out problems. Also, Sid, if you really want me to post research footnotes to back anything I've said about people being poisoned and abnormal lose of plant and animal life, I can do that. Do you think all these huge industrial accidents that cause massive displacement of people and do massive poisonings of land/air/water and which kill all kinds of life are part of normal planetary survival? Or even the dramatic weather changes that have been occuring since the 1950s? Such as the Arctic Ice cap disappearing and the bottom of the food chain in the oceans there which are disappearing too?

The shit is happening and there is nothing we can do about it if we want to continue the blissful life that we live. Are we all going to live like Quakers? No. But it sure would make a huge difference for the better if we did. Even if we all wanted to, it won't happen. We have no say in this matter. One person or 10000 people can try and make the change by the way they live, but it won't make any difference. It may just slow the progression on the problems, but in the end, the problems will still be here.

Until massive amounts of human life are extinguished, it is what it is. And I'm pretty sure, this is exactly what we are going to see sometime in the next 100 years. A huge plague is on the horizon most scientists believe. The Bird Flu is the one to watch for now. And with all the anti-biotic resistant stuff coming up through the ranks due to the over usage of anti-biotics, there are going to be strains on common stuff that we won't be able to stop. Good times are on the horizon people. Enjoy!

Cruz
Whee!

Postby Cruz » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:07 am

Goof, you from Kentucky?

http://www.wbko.com/news/headlines/2323446.html

WKU Suspends Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity Over Goat Incident...

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:52 am

Damn, the news it out!

BTW, I'm pretty sure I never called anybody a idiot in this thread. Is this a case where somebody wants to cause trouble by putting words into peoples mouths?

But, by using the following logic, I could come to the conclusion that all people are idiots, except me!

I am Goofydoofy Goatspanker.

I spank goats.

Spanking goats is fun, in my mind, which is the only thing that matters.

Nobody else is Goofydoofy Goatspanker.

So, with this information, I can come to the conclusion that I am the Goatspanker and nobody else is. To be able to spank goats, following the physics of the universe, you must be a Goatspanker. Since nobody else is a Goatspanker, they are making the decision to not have fun, which must make them a idiot!

Ta Da!