SOE Sucks... Check it out

Moderator: Littlabit

Eamile
Whee!

SOE Sucks... Check it out

Postby Eamile » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:35 pm

Thought everyone might get a kick out of this article.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/ ... age5.shtml

Ommina
Whee!

RE: SOE Sucks... Check it out

Postby Ommina » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:40 am

I find this... entertaining:

I know this because I used to be a member of the Guide program. The volunteer customer service department for SOE at the time. We were given explocit instructions that if we zoned into those areas, we would be kicked from the guide program. Well, I zoned into those areas the day of retail release. And what I saw was amazing. I saw 5 completely barren areas, with strange "developer boxes" everywhere, without a good majority of the environment even done for the zones themselves. I know first hand that the zones were not completed.

So - environment incomplete, and yet, I've never received updated artwork for any PoP zone. The files I have now are unchanged from those on the installation CDs. Running around any of the PoP zones with EQZoneViewer showed all the artwork complete, and certainly no sign of a 'developer box'.

PoP endgame may very well have been buggy on release. But the artwork was certainly there. And if the author was "deliberately misleading" his readers about this, then I don't feel much cause to believe anything else he might have to say either.

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:42 am

OMG that would be like BIll Gates releasing an OS that was buggy and needed numurous security and content patches. Can you imagine such a thing? I honestly thing this sort of thing is quite common for 'high end' software. I know that the systems I use at work for running equipment is full of "added features".

On a side note, there were none of these bugs when I zoned into the places mentioned for the first time :)

Siderius
Kim Son Quang

Postby Siderius » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:17 am

Nothing new under sthe sun imo.

It is the same way with how they handled the screwup on the last patch.

I have no faith in SoE at all.. and the only reason I still play this game is all of you.
[75 Wildblood] <a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=666907">Tarjei</a>(Iksar)
[75 Grand Arcanist] <a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=664788">Siderius</a> (Gnome)

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Stephen Roberts

Omniox
Whee!

Postby Omniox » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:49 am

The beauty of a computer game is that it can be released before its time and updated to fix things. This is more common with MMORPG's because it take a long time to get anywhere. A lot of games are released for the computer and then later Fixed up with Patches...A real good example is Diablo II, a game that came out long time ago and they are still releasing patches for the game. As for SOE well Vallant (or what ever they were called) were not going anywhere with EQ so I am glad to have played when SOE was in charge....BUT....more development could go into the game before releasing new expansions...They are cranking them out to keep everyone hooked...I cant even afford DoDh and now they are releasing another one....Too soon it seems like...They should just merge EQ with EQ2 :) Just kidding :))

Saphirone
Whee!

Postby Saphirone » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:41 pm

Siderius wrote:Nothing new under sthe sun imo.

It is the same way with how they handled the screwup on the last patch.

I have no faith in SoE at all.. and the only reason I still play this game is all of you.

AMEN!

Zantetsuken
Iron Cutting Sword

Postby Zantetsuken » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:58 pm

i did know that time and tacvi weren't ready when expansion was released.

Not suprised at all about Soe.

my hate stems from the past transgressions of the pally class, just something really irks me.
Lightbringer Zantetsuken
"Men in battle, do not need women. My love is my Sword!" - The Almighty Dekar from Lufia II
Axe Master Verige
"The weak only strive to be weaker." - Magus from Chrono Trigger

Vitala
wishes Lanyder had a tail

Postby Vitala » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:48 am

Do you guys all really feel that way? I mean... sure SoE makes some mistakes, but in a game of this immense size it must be nearly impossible to make no errors of any kind. They do provide us the venue to play one of the most amazing games (imo) of all time. They don't charge a very high subscription rate (and let's face it, a large number of us would prolly gripe at being gouged but would pay more if we had to), work to correct mistakes (case in point, the double xp fiasco) where possible, and generally seem to be concerned about keeping as many people happy as possible (which of course they should be, it's where their money comes from). I'm just saying... it seems to me they do a fairly good job. I really fail to see how anyone can 'hate' SoE for mistakes when they seem to try to fix them as they do. I cannot imagine trying to keep some of the immature jerks in this game happy all the time... it surprises me that more people (mature, reasonable individuals) are not more understanding about the near-impossible job that the developers/producers of a game like this are regularly facing. Every little thing is going to piss someone off, no matter what they do.

/rant off.

Sorry, it just bothers me that people don't seem to appreciate the work the SoE people are doing to try to make us happy with the game we love.

And, SoE pays me a monthly fee as advertiser/public relations clearly.

I'm j/k, don't stone me!

Vitty

SpenSir
Lord, Lady, and the Dutchess!

Postby SpenSir » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:25 am

Sorry, it just bothers me that people don't seem to appreciate the work the SoE people are doing to try to make us happy with the game we love.

AMEN!

Szork
Whee!

Postby Szork » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:45 am

I have two main issues with Sony.

First, I do agree with Vitala in that SOE has managed to sustain EQ, which is no small feat. However, I find myself missing the "old days" when Verrant was running things. Kunark and Velious were expansions filled with quality story lines, true to the genre. I can remember crossing through iceclad on the steam powered ice-breaker, and crossing the breathtaking bridge into the eastern wastes. No expansion since then was quite as epic for me. Depths of Darkhollow actually comes close, though... those underground caverns were a lot of fun to explore for the first time.

When Sony took over, their first step was to suddenly introduce the MOON as a viable place for cats to live. The graphics were nice, but the story wasn't. If those inventive gnomes can just manage to explore further into the frozen oceans on a steam-ship, clearly they're ready for space travel, right?!? Then PoP hit the scene, so now we can take on the gods and learn the secrets of Time itself! After POP, we end up facing flesh and blood beings again, which are somehow even tougher than gods! But they're from the plane of Discord, so that's fine. Finally, we get back to some more dragons? Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy all the content, I just wish they had built the story up better.

Second, Sony is pure evil when it comes to the law. As that article states, they bend and break just about everything to get their way. In fact, I think Sony is being sued for placing malicious software on their music CDs and DVDs which was initially designed as a "copywrite protection" but ended up wiping out some hard drives to prevent duplication. They have no respect for privacy laws, and their draconian anti-pirate schemes point towards situations directly out of "1984" and "Brave New World".

Whoa... I'd better stop here or the rest of my day will be filled with angry ranting about everything from video games to "big C Conservatives" to US "anti-terrorism" policies. HEPL, I'm being repressed!

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:22 am

I can remember crossing through iceclad on the steam powered ice-breaker, and crossing the breathtaking bridge into the eastern wastes. No expansion since then was quite as epic for me.

While I whole heartedly agree with you that the story-lines could have more care put into them, at the same time, I often wonder if it isn't the game so much but our perception of it that has changed.

I remember a time where I'd travel to the Karana's just to get a good screenshot with a beautiful sunset in the background. Or making time to sit and fish because it is fun, not so that I can add another title to my collection.

At higher end content, time prioritizing becomes such a focus that I don't think we take time to enjoy what IS provided for us as much as we did when the goal wasn't to log on and accomplish X goal, but to log on and see what adventures await today.

Regardless of what kind of job Sony does now, we've built our community and we choose to remain here. Whether or not we have fun now has less to do with Sony than people want to believe.

tuiaanen
Whee!

Postby tuiaanen » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:29 am

I know it's a bit off subject, but I wanted to post to agree with what Sid said. I recently was in a hospital for somewhat longer than what I would have liked. In that time, I found that I didn't miss EQ at, but desperately wanted to log on because of all the great people in CN.

Gorakus
Whee!

Postby Gorakus » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:43 am

All I'll say is that for a game to be this huge with such an incredible sized player base and be top on the market for 7 years, they have to be doing something right.

I've had more than my fair share of complaints over the years, but every day it amazes me how long this game has stayed on top. 7 years !!! OMG, I'd never guess a game to be going strong 7 years after release and may never see another one last as long.

At higher end content, time prioritizing becomes such a focus that I don't think we take time to enjoy what IS provided for us as much as we did when the goal wasn't to log on and accomplish X goal, but to log on and see what adventures await today.

I'm not so sure its about the endgame though. Many years ago when the game first came out, the graphics and size of the world was just amazing for the times. Now, several years later its kind of commonplace in many cases. I think the whole "wow" factor on graphics just isnt the same as it was when I started.

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:51 am

Very good point Gorakus, the newness factor has worn off some.

Though I was in pok the other day at sunrise & noticed how pretty it looked :) Then I ran back through again and it was sunset and even in pok the sun rises and sets in the proper places. It was a little bit of magic for me to realize I still notice those things.