Ok NOW i did it.. I broke Trab's computer!!!!!!!

Moderator: Littlabit

Baelea
Whee!

Ok NOW i did it.. I broke Trab's computer!!!!!!!

Postby Baelea » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:00 pm

Well from turning the computer off without the proper steps because I could not see them, because the montior went bad, I now get this message on Trabs Pc.. : Windows could not start up because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

You can attemp to repair this file by using windows setup by using the origian cd-rom. Press "r" at the first screen to compair.

Um... what? I put the windows CD in , it wont rum. I am thinking the computer does not check the Cd drive first and does the hard drive so it does not get to the cd? Either way... Helpppppppppppppppppp!
<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1237785"><font color=CC00FF>BAELEA </a></font></font>
<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1237950"><font color=CC00FF>JOOWANNA </a></font></font>

Jhereg
Whee!

RE: Ok NOW i did it.. I broke Trab

Postby Jhereg » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:26 pm

You can go to the bios on boot up and have it boot from CD-rom instead of A drive/C drive in some computers.

Ommina
Whee!

RE: Ok NOW i did it.. I broke Trab

Postby Ommina » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:33 pm

Congratulations! You've corrupted your registry! What fun! Hope you had restore points turned on.

As far as the CD is concerned -- you're likely right, the computer is checking the HD first, and, finding something interesting to boot there, isn't bothering with the CD-ROM.

To get it to check the CD-ROM, you'll need to make a settings change in your BIOS. Within the first few seconds of turning the computer on, you'll see, briefly, some message about hitting some key (often DEL) to enter Setup.

Do so, and you'll be presented with several screens worth of menus. You'll be looking for something to the effect of "Boot device order" or "boot configuration" or something along those lines. Sadly, I can't be more specific, since each BIOS manufacturer does it a bit differently. Either way, you'll want to set the CD-ROM as the first boot device, HD second, and, assuming you have one, floppy drive third. (This, of course, can be changed back later.)

Aubrianna
Whee!

Postby Aubrianna » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:49 pm

I have a feeling that Trab's computer was probably on the way down if turning it off wrong only once messed up the registry. I mean sure, theres a chance something will get messed up when shutting down incorrectly, but really, its pretty remote. So, you were either really really really unlucky, or you just sped up a process that was allready happening lol.
Minstrel Aubrianna Melody
70th Herald - Retired

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:31 pm

Translation:

Bad Bae. Bad! ;)

The advice above is about all I could give right now as well.
<a href="">Test</A>

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:15 am

It pays to back-up.
Level 106 Druid, Level 106 Enchanter, Level 106 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:31 pm

I just had to boot from the CD drive and do chkdsk /p - is np:)

Now I just have to build my 2nd PC - just got the new motherboard combo. Not spending a great deal, just a fun hobby so I can two box:)