Mexico Trip

Moderator: Littlabit

Truthseeker
Whee!

Mexico Trip

Postby Truthseeker » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:25 pm

On 1-2-2006 I had to travel to Chihuahua Mexico for work. Here are some of the highlights.

1-2-2006
As my brother was taking me to the airport, his car broke down on the interstate right before the bridge. There are not exits for several miles.

He gets out to look at the engine and manages to get his cell phone caught on the door. The end results is a severly beat up phone. Thankfully it can still make calls.

I get him to call Jeff who lives down the street and works with me. They come to get me.

I get to the airport unsure if I will be allowed to board. I am told my check bag may not make it on the flight.

I get my ticket and run for the gate. They are paging me even before I can get through security.

Off we go to Houston, and the flight is late (not due to me - other issues).

I get off and start running across the airport to my connecting flight. I get to the airside and check, not loading. I go to get something to eat. I eat and go back. The plane is not there. They are at a different gate. Off I go running to the other gate which is no where near where I am.

Off to Mexico.
This plane is late in leaving too (again not because of me - other issues).
We get to mexico and I wait for everyone to go so I can get my stuff. Immigration is taking a long time. I get through immigration, then customs, and make it to the airport proper. I go to get a taxi. I am told it will be a minimum of 45 minutes before a taxi will be available. Ok, I pay for taxi, tell them where I need to go, and the wait begins. The taxi arrives and the people tell the driver the wrong hotel.

2 weeks pass while working in Mexico. I am not even going here :(

Taxi to airport.
I check out and ask for a taxi. And I wait. They call for a second taxi. And I wait some more. The taxi arrives and I am starting to worry. There are only 2 flights a day into Chihuahua. The taxi driver asks me when my flight is. His remark is he must go fast. We are off. This guy gets on back streets. I do not know why.

Airport.
We arrive at the airport at 6:01AM local time. I pay and get my stuff and run to the ticket counter. I am told the flight is closed. The ticket counter opens at 5:45AM and closes at 6:00AM. They put me on standby and the next and only flight is 5 hours away. I settle down to read my book and wait.

5 hours later:
Peolpe are getting tickets and I am waiting. The people are all gone and I am still waiting. I ask and I am told I am in standby. I go and wait some more. I am beginning to think I will not get on and debate to stay or go back to town and try to get the room again. I get paged. A seat is available. They ticket me and my bag is checked only through to Houston. We eventually board the plane. The plane is late taking off (not due to me - other issues).

Houston:
We arrive in Houston, and proceed to immigration. The line goes back and forth across the room. The line is 12 lines of this switch back. I clear immigration and head to customs. I get my bag and clear customs. I get to baggage checkin and ask if I need to keep my bag or check it in. I told them I am on standby. They tell me to go to this line way across the room. The line is so long they drag it out to the other side of the room. The wait begins again. I find someone finally and ask if I need to be in this line. I am told I should not be in that line. They put me in another line. I check my bag and take off running. I run across the airport to where the plane should be. It is not there. They did a gate change. I start back tracking to get to the new gate. I arrive and most of the people have allready boarded the plane. I get the agents attention and show here my standby ticket. She tells me they paged me 2 times allready. I am allowed to board. The plane is late in leaving (not due to me - other issues). I arrive home and head to baggage claim and wait. My bag is nowhere to be seen. An agent tells me to go to the baggage office. I wait till the agent is free. After doing some looking, my bag is still in Houston. I fill out the paperwork for my bag.

Ride home.
I go and buy my passage for the Airport Limo to take me home. My ticket number is 911. Lets do some more waiting. Eventually the van shows up and we are off. Nope, we are parked and waiting to see if he is to pickup more passengers. I do some more waiting We are finally off. I will be the first stop. The driver has no idea how to get to where I live. I give him help.

Home.
Finally I am home.

Lost bag:
It shows up the next day after 8PM.

My trip home started at 4AM on 1-13-2006. It ended after 8PM on 1-13-2006. Besides a snack on an airplane, that is all I had to eat.

1-13-2006 is a Friday to boot.

Truthseeker

PS. I just realized, I still have another receipt to turn in.

SpenSir
Lord, Lady, and the Dutchess!

Postby SpenSir » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:02 am

After all that I bet your thankful you alive and safe at home. :)

Kayrian
Clueless Mage

Postby Kayrian » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:50 am

Awww, I am so sorry about that. I can just imagine the agonizes of waiting in the airport for no definite time frame. I am just really surprised, with so many Mexican immigrants (legal & Illegal), they would make the air travel system more convenience for people. Overall, I enjoyed reading your travel log a lot. You always crack me up. 

(not due to me - other issues)

I am so going to frame that on my work desk. Haha!

Kay

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:33 am

/Comfort Truth

Yikes travel can surely be a pain. Especially those fights with screaming babies (I had one of those recently!!!!). I have found a couple things to be of interest in a recent trip.

1: I prefer the public transpo to the taxi's. When in Toronto (never had been there before) I got to ride subways & busses and basically got a free tour from the locals I made as buddies/tour guides (funny that one "local" had a Jamacian accent). Not only do you meet all sorts of interesting people and see more sights, but the wait seems to be about the same either way (long) and you save a ton of money.

2: Bring food/water. Hun! One airplane snack in 15 hours of travel, bleh! No wonder your spirits were low! Plus that apple and bottle of water you'd pay $1.50 for at the grocery store would run you about $5 in the airports and you don't have to stand in line for an hour hoping to get a stale bagle before you have to rush off to the next flight.

Still not sure what to do about those babies though. Earplugs perhaps?

Kayrian
Clueless Mage

Postby Kayrian » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:48 am

Silly that is soo true. I live in a city that subway runs most of everywhere. It takes less time to get from point A to point B than taxi/car due to no traffic underground. I can get from my door to my desk in less than 30 minutes (including waiting time, elevator, etc.). I am glad you enjoyed your trip. Maybe show us some pictures if you have any?

Another solution I have about luggage is to only bring carry on. I know it sucks ot not able to bring your closet with you but sometimes it might be the only sane way to go. I have done that a couple of time when I travel within the US. No baggage claim, no waiting, no chance of losing your luggages and such. :)

Of course you can always do what the celebrities do. FedEx everything to your destination and have your assistants unpack for joo! :)

Keldinaar
Whee!

Postby Keldinaar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:22 pm

Holy crap TS, remind me never to travel with you!! :shock:

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:56 pm

I have to apologise Truth - I laughed at your description. Sorry to hear about the shiznit you went through though

Hylea
Whee!

Postby Hylea » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:09 pm

Oh my gosh. I have yet to quit laughing....how horrible....but how funny. Gosh it makes ya wonder why people dont go postal in the airports more often!!! You must have the patience of a saint...wait you do!!!!

Glad you made it home in one piece and are back with us....you were missed!!!!

/Hylea

"You know that little voice inside your head that tells you when to shut up? Listen to that voice"
The Other Succubus

Xril
Whee!

Postby Xril » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:17 pm

I feel for you Truthseeker, due to improper time postings on a bus route....I was once in an airport for 26hrs straight, waiting for my flight the next day.

The downside was they had recently removed lockers so I had to carry all my luggage (packed for an indeterminite amount of travel) around with me. Also I smoked at the time and the only smoking section at the Boston Terminal upstairs was a section where the roof didn't cover and the winds just happened to rush passed(during winter season). After some effort I made my own camp style area where I could go out and smoke with little effort.

The upside was when you've been in the airport longer than most of the employees they tend to offer you helpful advice on safe places to take a nap, where you're less likely to have things stolen or where the chairs are more comfortable.

It's fun to laugh at now and I hope yours becomes the same, but I still feel your pain through and through.
<center><a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1262727" target="top">Xril GoldenEel - Heyokah and Speaker for the Ancients</a></center>

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:55 am

where you're less likely to have things stolen

Backpacks double nicely as a pillow in a pinch. Especially when wrapped in something squishysoft like a coat or sweatshirt ;)