New UI

Moderator: Littlabit

Cicak
Whee!

New UI

Postby Cicak » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:17 pm

Here's a glimpse from Test how the new UI we will get as Default UI with next patch will look like:

Well, I prefer the old one:

PS: Sorry for breaking the window with oversized picture. Usually I scale them down to a more messageboard friendly size but thought I leave it original 1024x768 in this special case.
Cicak , Iksar Shaman
Puniam Brokenwand , Erudite Enchanter
Sembuh , Gnome Cleric

Twoofus
Whee!

Postby Twoofus » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:36 pm

That looks a lot like that other EQ game ;)

Fuddara
Still floating about

Postby Fuddara » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:27 pm

The new spell icons will take a bit to get used to, but it's amazingly simple to adjust to. I switched to using the T. King icons a long time ago, and was amazed at how fast I adapted. The new icons do look better IMO, though not good enough to make me stop using the T. King ones. Gonna stick with my custom UI thanks very much. ;)

Cicak
Whee!

Postby Cicak » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:50 pm

I gonna try and stick with the old UI.

I cloned the default folder and renamed it classic. Likely it will work till they add new windows or alter existing windows. Then I gotta hope I can manage to make necessary changes myself .. or that somebody at eqinterface carries the old UI on and does this work for me.
Cicak , Iksar Shaman

Sembuh , Gnome Cleric

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:02 am

I usually end up using the default one, I rarely have the patience to find a new one. I do like the looks of the new icons for this though

Cicak
Whee!

Postby Cicak » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:10 am

Chances are I gonna end up with the default one as well. In the end it's just a matter of getting used to it likely.
Cicak , Iksar Shaman

Sembuh , Gnome Cleric

Jaffod
Postcount Whore

Postby Jaffod » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:56 am

for me the issue is never what thinks look like but where they are on the screen. All of my toons are set up the same way, I even leave space for the pet window on my non-pet toons lol. As long as the new UI does not cause me to have to move things around then it should be a seamless transition (i hope)

Cicak
Whee!

Postby Cicak » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:30 pm

Hooray.

Kytherea says:

I just wanted to let you all know that even though the new UI skin will be going to the live servers in the next update, you will still be able to use the old UI. Instructions for this will be in the update message.

Found here: http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/boa ... ing&page=2
Cicak , Iksar Shaman

Sembuh , Gnome Cleric

Siderius
Kim Son Quang

Postby Siderius » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:20 pm

I use the old UI with some changes.. like I have a buff bar which spells the name of the buff/debuff.. this does so I can easily and quickly find which buffs I have on and if this is a DT that need cures ( AMV and Vishi spesific) but also important to see if you have manadrains or non dangerous effects on.
[75 Wildblood] <a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=666907">Tarjei</a>(Iksar)
[75 Grand Arcanist] <a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=664788">Siderius</a> (Gnome)

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Stephen Roberts

Ommina
Whee!

Postby Ommina » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:36 am

It is my understanding that the 'old' UI would remain available (perhaps via /loadskin) for those that want to use it. I havn't seen any word on whether or not it will continue to be maintained by SOE though, so it may depend on third party folk to maintain it as changes come down.

And so long as I can continue to use my beloved SARS4, I'm happy.

--

Unrelated to the visual look of the new UI - they have also made a minor improvement to the Guild Bank window: the addition of a bazaar like filter to, well, filter the contents.

From what I can tell, the filtering options are:

• Show All
  • Banker Only
  • Public Only
  • Useable Only
  • Withdrawable
  • Not Withdrawable
Not the most amazing improvement, but something, and anything that adds functionality to that window is a Good Thing.

Edit: And an "inspect item" button. Woo.

Qurillanea
Whee!

Postby Qurillanea » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:46 am

SARS kicks ass. Never had a problem with that UI either except when I was waiting for them to update to be compatible with DODH. During that time I had to go to the default UI cause mine was crashing.. then they updated it and chaching its back!

I really dont care what the default UI is though. Sometimes I play around with it. I'm sure I'll play with this for a couple of days with different characters to see if I like any of the windows and then go back to SARS. If somethings good I might mix/match the windows I like.