MMORPG Gold farming

Moderator: Littlabit

Blackbane911
Whee!

MMORPG Gold farming

Postby Blackbane911 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:42 am

We all knew that professional MMORPG gold farmers are out there. I had no idea that they were so badly exploited. My general impression of human nature just took another hit.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.off ... Id=3141815

Maybe hordes of Chinese peasants slaving away for pennies on the dollar are why a Centi Warhammer now costs 500 plat....

BB
Blackbane Darcmedic, Archon of Innoruuk, Grandmaster of Sarcasm, Eater of Too Many Cookies.
Yerb Sixpac, Mercenary of Albion, Gawaine server
Snivius Madmeddler, Mesmer/Elementalist Guild Wars

Skratz
Almost as hot as Diz!

Postby Skratz » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:19 am

I had no idea..... wow...... that's sick.
~Predator Skratz Nsniff º¿º
Now residing in WoW

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:16 am

The best way to stop this is by not supporting it.

I never understood the urge to buy pp. Where is the pride and sense of accomplishment?

The difference between a player who doesn't buy pp and one who does is a player who actually enjoys playing the game, and one who is just looking to feed their online ego for being able to have uber stuff regardless of the fact that they didn't work for it.

Just my humble opinion.

SpenSir
Lord, Lady, and the Dutchess!

Postby SpenSir » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:07 pm

Holy cow I so agree with you Silly. This type of BS bites for those of us who play the game within the rules. On the other side their will always be those small, low self-esteem, momma's boys, who have found a world they can feel superior in since RL is just to hard (in my best sarcastic voice). /sniff /sniff /sniff /pout /cry

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:26 pm

This was also posted on a friend’s site, and this really made for great discussion. So here I go and let the Flames begin)

Even though I agree with Silly on a "morality" standing from the possible economic impact mass farming may/may not have on a server’s economy, I have to still believe in the freedom to make it be allowed.
And here is why.

If the farming did not occur, the change would still happen, eventually really, it would only take time. The fact that as a player in a capitalist economic structure, one is almost forced to believe that all is fare when trying to make that buck. Otherwise, the word entrepreneur wouldn’t exist.

If I decide to play 4 hours a week, I expect to get 4 hours a week pay, if I create a company that runs 10-100 accounts and play 12hours a day, then I expect to get that respected revenue in return.

Now, let’s say I hit level 18 in X game. And I haven’t worked a day in my life, and I ask and receive an "unearned" amount of money, then it really is no different than paying RL cash for in game money. Some people everywhere, in RL and in game will just have it easier or be more financially well off than others... Life almost everywhere has always been like that.

I did have a problem with the writer of that article though. He didn’t mention some key points. A: What the average annual income is in China. To get a real true value of $.56 an hour. ( BTW, look it up, I don’t believe its as bad as they are making it.) B: The term Sweatshop, was misrepresented. The word is completely relative to where you live. For financially and structurally capable to play EQ and eat Bobbons as a leisure time, we’re pretty fortunate. Although for some I’m sure the mere opportunity to work 12 hours days, with a roof over your head, hardly sounds inhumane. Especially when they have the freedom to leave. There obviously is a turnover, if they hire and turn away many job seekers.

As far as being paid partial monies from the collective company’s revenue, I don’t think that’s an issue. I work for HP and can assure you that I don’t make pennies to the dollar either. But I do get paid for the work, and requirements of my job.

Gnub
Whee!

Postby Gnub » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:27 pm

geez,, it too so long for me to write that, I was timed out.. Anyhow, I'm the mysterious guest.