having connection probs

Moderator: Littlabit

Zantetsuken
Iron Cutting Sword

having connection probs

Postby Zantetsuken » Sun May 22, 2005 3:03 pm

well saturday i had connection probs, i couldn't seem to get a stable connection. tried like heck getting back on to atleast get TT but no avail, couldn't do anything cept get error messages...

The connection to the remote computer could not be enstablished blah blah

I was able to connect a numerous amount of times but didn't let me do anything.

Other lucky times i got a stable connection... i count 3... this being numero 3.

Well till it gets back to normal ill be out of action a bit. Hope by tuesday it will be resolved. I hate missing raids!
Lightbringer Zantetsuken
"Men in battle, do not need women. My love is my Sword!" - The Almighty Dekar from Lufia II
Axe Master Verige
"The weak only strive to be weaker." - Magus from Chrono Trigger

Jhereg
Whee!

Postby Jhereg » Sun May 22, 2005 3:59 pm

For me that used to happen when a phone cable started to fray(went through a doorway that was sometimes closed) or dust in the jack seemed to contribute to bad connections.

Other times if my internet link crashed, it like it was locked. I'd have to unplug all the power to modem/computer, unplug the phone line, and somethings it would reset after a while. I swear it was some port locked at my end or the other, but never sure. It's like magic.

Saphirone
Whee!

Postby Saphirone » Mon May 23, 2005 12:12 am

Here is something I picked up, and figured it might explain quite a bit. Certainly maded absolute sense to me.

Greetings folks!

Background and Information (Skip this if you just want to see the cause.)
Some of you may have been feeling severe bursts of lag as of late. Incase some of you are unaware, net lag isn't always on SOE's end, if ever. The Internet is actually composed of many computers, all connected together through routers and backbones. These networks of computers connect to your ISP, which then connects to you. A backbone is a major land connection between two networks. It's usually a fiber-optical cable that contains hundreds, of not thousands of strands of fiber optics, and can carry data at speeds way beyond anything we could afford in our homes.

The cause
I have gotten some information on the cause of the lag over the last few weeks. It's not really one cause, but many.

Firstly, there was a backbone crash at Cox Communications, which left about two million broadband customers in the southern United States without a connection. There are only so many backbones in the US, and when that one crashed, all the traffic had to be rerouted to another one. While that one was working fine, the extra traffic caused it to slow down (this is called congestion).

Next, reports came in about a fiber cut in California. This means that someone digged through a major land connection, cutting the fibers in that connection. Each fiber in a fiber optic cable is actually a very thin pieces of glass. When a fiber is severed, it must be spiced back together, which can be a very painstaking and time consuming task.

There was also a report of another fiber cut in the northern US, which took out parts of another major ISP.

Lastly, that very same ISP (NacNet) was hit with a Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS), which is an attack from a hacker, or a group of hackers, with the intent to cause either an interruption of service, or cause headaches for a company. They were able to stop the attack, but it takes time to locate it and therefore there was a period of time with more slowdowns on top of all that has happened.

Summary
All of this leads to a general amount of lag across the board for the United States. Even if a problem occured somewhere away from your home, it can still affect you if your ISP routes your connections through that part of the country. More so, if the extra traffic from a re-route flows through your route, you'll also see slow downs as your route becomes clogged with additional traffic. You can think of this like when you're trying to get to work, and the city closes a road for construction. You must find an alternate route, and when you get there it's often jammed with traffic since all the people from your route, PLUS the people who usually take this route, must cram together.

The only thing you can do is just sit back and let things fix themselves. The ISPs and companies that are responsible are working hard to fix things, and there's nothing you can really do about it. Calling your ISP won't help anything, because most of these issues aren't with them, but with *their* ISP. They have as much power as you do in a situation like this. All they can do is sit and wait it out.

If you have players complaining about lag, I wouldn't get too indepth with them. I would simply tell them that you've heard about several issues with many ISPs across the US, resulting in some lag for nearly everyone. It's best not to get into too much detail, as we're not representatives for their ISP. If they want an official answer, that's who they're going to have to call.

Hope all this helps!
Saphirone the Noble Lady
Retired Wizard Officer of Celestial Navigators -EQ1 (Or am I?)
Qarma Jenkins
Retired Officer of Nocturnae -WoW
Saphirone/Qarma/Qarmia
Retired Loudmouth Officer of Ecliptic Sol -EQII

Zantetsuken
Iron Cutting Sword

Postby Zantetsuken » Mon May 23, 2005 4:47 pm

well figured it out. I tried everything dealing with computer and such. So i figured id test out a new phoneline to the jack. So i got a phone with da phoneline. First i tried the old line and picked the phone up and listened in... it was staticing like crazy, no wonder my connection... tried different line and it was the same. Always the simpliest prob. I guess that bad storm friday royally screwed up my phone line. But the phone i use for the social life is dandy as candy. Prolly be fixed tommorow or weds. sorry i have to miss more raids.
Lightbringer Zantetsuken

"Men in battle, do not need women. My love is my Sword!" - The Almighty Dekar from Lufia II

Axe Master Verige

Zantetsuken
Iron Cutting Sword

Postby Zantetsuken » Fri May 27, 2005 11:20 pm

getting a lil ticked off now... been a whole week now still isn't fixed. If not fixed by monday im gonna call phone company again. Its supposed to been fixed by thursday.

Spensir, if it ain't fixed, ya think you can log in again and get flags i need. Here are flags i don't have and need... Agnarr, TT, Saryn. Think thats all the flags i lack. Email if you need anything.

Hope to see you all soon... i hope.
Lightbringer Zantetsuken

Axe Master Verige

Qmaus
Whee!

Postby Qmaus » Sat May 28, 2005 8:32 am

Best of luck getting your problems fixed, miss you Zant.

Zantetsuken
Iron Cutting Sword

Postby Zantetsuken » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:50 pm

well wedsday i decided was fed up and wanted to raid, so i move computer to another room , and put it on dresser. basically i couldn't sit back or stretch my legs. I was just hoping to have a small role in that raid like dps lol... guess who Szork picks for plow tank. Today after i get off from work i check the phone and its fixed , so i have to move my computer back. Sorry for missing a bunch of flags like TT and so on. But Spens did get zant RZ flag.

now...

The Iron Cutting Sword is back!
Lightbringer Zantetsuken

Axe Master Verige

Qmaus
Whee!

Postby Qmaus » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:10 am

Woot! Welcome back, buddy! :D :D :D :D

Now come tank this bard chick for me, she's undead and her music sucks.
:twisted: