Sony decides to cash in.

Moderator: Littlabit

Blackbane911
Whee!

Sony decides to cash in.

Postby Blackbane911 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:12 am

For EQ2, SOE is deciding to officially conduct REAL-WORLD financial transactions for in-game items and accounts.

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/news ... th=current

About damn time. Peeps doing it on the side anyway...

BB
Blackbane Darcmedic, Archon of Innoruuk, Grandmaster of Sarcasm, Eater of Too Many Cookies.
Yerb Sixpac, Mercenary of Albion, Gawaine server
Snivius Madmeddler, Mesmer/Elementalist Guild Wars

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:23 am

I don't play EQ2 so I'm not really upset- but I am a little bummed that they're doing this.

With the current setup I think most users are discouraged to spend real money on ingame items and toons, since it is technically against the rules. However if it was readily available to do so, it might become a problem for people who don't want to spend real money on game items.

Kind of like an expansion. If one person doesn't have an expansion, it severely limits that person. If buying items becomes the rule rather than the exception, won't people theoretically "have to buy" something in order to stay compatible with their friends and competition?

I think buying items/tonns takes the fun out of the game. I'm not necessarily opposed to people doing it, but if it becomes standard, I don't want people telling me "Why don't you have Uber_item_04? You can get it for only $6! Slacker!" when that would totally dissapate any challenge and fun of acquiring the item myself.

In a game where the challenge is the playing of the game itself, no final end goals, why would someone want to pay for items they would normally work to acquire? I think making it legal to sell and buy virtual items online will do a player the equivalent of what an extremely hard core guild does...gears up the toon quickly, they see everything quickly, they have nothing left to do and they get burned out and leave.

It is a double-edged sword. I think at first people will go nuts and love it, but I think SOE willl be kicking themselves in the butt down the road when everyone's already spent the $500 to gear up their toons and then get bored and quit.
"there is no doubt that you are a geek, you just also are in possession of a life" - Jaffod

Jhereg
Whee!

Postby Jhereg » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:33 am

At the moment its only on a few servers on EQ 2 and only works to trade between people, not buy directly from SoE. So like the bazaar only items people want to sell will be available. More of EQ2 is also quest based than EQ1 from what I understand, so likely will have less impact due to that.

Btw, I suspect if they ever do this on EQ they will go back and add even more recommended/required levels to stuff like DoN pieces are.

Siderius
Kim Son Quang

Postby Siderius » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:55 pm

I really really really didnt like this. How can they frown at it on EQ1 but allow it in EQ2 thats doublestandard if anything is...

Aswell as ebay'ing is the worst thing that ever happened to EQ in the first place.
[75 Wildblood] <a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=666907">Tarjei</a>(Iksar)
[75 Grand Arcanist] <a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=664788">Siderius</a> (Gnome)

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Stephen Roberts

Jhereg
Whee!

Postby Jhereg » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:08 pm

EQ 1 and EQ 2 aren't the same game or even the same designers really. If Blizzard allowed it on Worlds of Warcraft but not on Diablo 2 that would be almost as different. If and when they try it on EQ1, then is the time to get righteous perhaps, not about a game we're not playing?

Akgriz
Scout

Postby Akgriz » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:40 pm

Actually it's a pretty smart business move by SoE,, the market on buying stuff in online games (not just eq2) is well over 200 million dollars.so they are trying to control it in one of their games to see how it goes..
and even then not on all servers either just on a select few that people can decide to play on if they want to.
right or wrong,, it's real life.. and the O'mighty dollar speaks louder then all of us..
Akgriz
Scout of Celestial Navigators

Secksiee
Two-Faced

Postby Secksiee » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:56 am

SoE has Banned over 700 accounts Game wide in EQ2 due to botting, in the last few weeks, I guess the SoEbay is their way of... umm.. Gosh, Im not sure what its about. But I hope my server isnt one of those that has this new SoEbay thing on it, lol, everyone in my guild says we will all move ourselves, and my guild to another server if they put this crap on ours. :evil:
imho, sony is greeedddyyy !! Since Ige and other sites are makin mass buck-a-roo's off plat/gold, sony decides to ban all the people they catch doing it, THEN open up their own way of doing it.. as if charging people extra for TWO more character slots isnt enough.. /sigh
O well, I love the game.. i payed the extra for the 2 extra slots.. Darn you sony !!
/rant off
Drewyd Van`Trellis
Secksiee Shadestepper
Retired Celestial Navigator
~~~~
Bryare Solimar
Trademaster of Legacy on Unrest
Eq II

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:35 am

right or wrong,, it's real life.. and the O'mighty dollar speaks louder then all of us..

:lol: / :cry: Boy ain't that the truth!

Buaz
Whee!

Postby Buaz » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:34 pm

Interesting economics.....
If I pay $15 per month, but can sell equipment to players for at least $15 over the month, I can play for free. Sony gets subscribers to stay longer and play more.

Welcome to the EQ Ponzi scheme.

Buaz

Big Green Bait

Blackbane911
Whee!

OK so maybe not so keen an idea

Postby Blackbane911 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:41 am

Mark Jacobs, the CEO of Mythic Entertainment, the company who makes the *other* MMOPRG I play (cough cough!) issued a scathing indictment of SOE's decision to do this. His response brought up some things I did not think about.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=9464§ion=feature&email=

After reflecting further, I think this was a bad move. SOE's subsequent response to Mythic's critique was aloof and more of the same.

Blackbane Darcmedic, Archon of Innoruuk, Grandmaster of Sarcasm, Eater of Too Many Cookies.

Yerb Sixpac, Mercenary of Albion, Gawaine server

Snivius Madmeddler, Mesmer/Elementalist Guild Wars

Epoche
Whee!

Postby Epoche » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:40 am

can't say I blame people for trying to start from zero and catch up with 70 and spend a few dollars on the net for pp. The fact that sony just seems to be trying to seperate their own subscribers is what awes me.

Do they just have the worst PR reps in the world or is it truly a room full of 14 yr olds playin cards goin oh shit... you win that one.. whats our next move meynard?

=O

ps if I ever buy cash off the net hunt me down and kill my cat!