New laptop

Moderator: Littlabit

Sharrien
Whee!

New laptop

Postby Sharrien » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:59 am

My wife's laptop is several years old and just about dead. We've been looking around for a new one if she can't get it repaired again but the number of options out there is overwhelming. Was wondering if any of the gurus here could give me some advice on specs. She does not game :cry: but mostly surfs forums, facebook, watches movies and does some photo editing using Photoshop. The photo editing is key, she's pretty serious about it even tho I can't convince her that she could do it professionally part time.

What processor speed does she need? Microsoft? AMD? Dual core? Quad?
Is cache memory important for what she does?
Would integrated graphics suffice or do you think we need a dedicated video card?

Looking for advice on best bang for the buck bargains, not so much bleeding edge, closest thing to true AI money can buy.
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker, Master Artisan, Master Researcher
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden, Master Artisan, Master Researcher

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Re: New laptop

Postby Goofydoofy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:37 am

Playing on the Internet and editing photos, I think the only thing you should look for is a minimum of 8GB of memory. Anything else in the system will be fine. Editting photos isn't like editing video. Photos are pretty basic. Any computer should be able to handle it. Phones can surf the Internet. As can TVs. So, that's no issue. Just get something cheap with some memory. The correct editting software will be key, also. Depending on the amount of pictures, maybe look for a large hard drive to store it all on. 1TB should be more then enough. The video capabilities might slightly come in to play if she is watching videos and such on Facebook, but again, the basics should handle the basics. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Don't buy refurbished. I always advise a new computer with a warranty. If a computer is going to shit on you when you buy it, it usually happens shortly out of the box. If it doesn't take a shit within the first month, your probably going to be good for several years if you maintain it. The battery usually doesn't last long, however.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Zahashah
Whee!

Postby Zahashah » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:10 pm

I do a huge amount of photo editing and found a faster processor to be a really nice feature when I am reviewing / editing a couple of hundred photos at a time. I am using an i7-2600k cpu 3.4o ghz. I also have a number of Western digital 1T "My Passports" to hold images, but I do most of my editing on my computer and transfer the images to the portable drives. My HD is about 300 GB and it works fine with Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 and having multiple images up for editing or merging. A good video card is important , but it doesn't have to be a high end gaming card at all for photos. Hope that helps!
"It is good to have an end to journey towards:
but it is the journey that matters in the end." ~Ursula K Le Guin

Meso
Whee!

Postby Meso » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:09 pm

for photos and movies, get her a wide screen model

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:01 am

If she's not gaming, an integrated graphics card would serve just fine. They're impressively powerful these days. To give an idea, all Macbook Pros but the highest-end i7 use Intel's integrated graphics to push 2880x1800 pixels in their integrated displays, and people connect multiple additional monitors on top of it without issue.

I wouldn't bother with a laptop packing anything less than an A8 AMD CPU, or a i3 Intel.

Most people are fine with dual-core CPUs, but quad cores aren't substantially more expensive.

CPU cache hardly matters for most users - it's a factor of the CPU model, so you're not going to find, say, an i3 with 8MB cache or anything.

The most important factors are:

1) Get an SSD (Solid State Drive) over a typical mechanical hard drive.
2) Get 8GB of RAM - 16GB if she intends to go nuts with Photoshop. You're paying a hell of a premium to go beyond this really.
3) How's her vision? If she has sharp eyes, 1920x1080 for the screen is a good baseline. I can't stand 1600x900 on a laptop anymore, especially a 17". If she's getting a 15", 1920x1080 might be a bit much, though, and 1600x900 might be acceptable.
4) Much like RAM, if she's really going to go nuts in Photoshop, CPU speed is important. Sadly, AMD isn't as competitive in notebooks as I wish they were. I'd recommend at least an Intel 4th Generation i5 or i7 (dual or quad core).

For a reasonable to pretty good deal, look at Dell's Outlet store. Scratch and Dent or "Open Box" laptops sell there for a lot less than their retail price, and you can snag some really good deals on occasion (I suspect pricing errors creep in pretty often).

This might be a reasonable start for your search

Zahashah
Whee!

Postby Zahashah » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:58 am

This is a great source for photo imagers for all kinds of equipment and good prices
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Co ... 4294542559
"It is good to have an end to journey towards:
but it is the journey that matters in the end." ~Ursula K Le Guin

Sharrien
Whee!

Postby Sharrien » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:23 pm

Course change, now she says she would prefer a desktop. Thanks for all the good advice!
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker, Master Artisan, Master Researcher
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden, Master Artisan, Master Researcher