Changes with the February Update: Developer Updates

Moderator: Littlabit

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:11 pm

PrathunSOE, post: 3045827, member: 5349 wrote:Greetings,

After carefully considering your feedback and weighing our options, we plan to implement some modifications to our originally announced changes in the February Update.

AA Grant for Gold Members

Our current plan is to automatically grant AAs up to four expansions behind the current expansion, if the player opts to do so. Clicking a checkbox in the AA window will enable the granting option and any eligible AAs will be applied the next time the character zones or levels. The option can be disabled at any time if you no longer wish to receive granted AAs, though any AA received via auto-granting will be retained should you decide to later disable this functionality.

Characters that wish to take advantage of the experience bonus for low-AA count will want to do so before enabling the auto-grant option, as any AA received via auto-granting will count against the bonus. At higher levels, the auto-granted AA could completely exhaust the bonus experience.

Based upon player feedback to the initially proposed changes, Spell Casting Subtlety and Tradeskill Mastery AAs will NOT be automatically granted. These abilities can still be earned as normal, but because they are not beneficial under every circumstance we want to make sure you have the choice of whether you want to have them.

Ability and Spell Changes

Our original proposed changes to Shadow Knights involved the removal of lifetap procs from ripostes, which may have had the side effect of negatively impacting how well they could tank in non-swarming situations. Based on feedback from a number of Shadow Knights we have decided on the following changes instead:

Mortal Coil will have a reasonable hit limit applied. This limit should not affect normal game play usage, while reducing its effectiveness for swarm killing.
Abilities such as Lich Sting WILL continue to work on riposted attacks, but with a reasonable hit limit applied. This limit should not affect normal game play usage, while reducing its effectiveness for swarm killing.

Another option that was frequently requested was the ability for players to halt all progress in their leveling if they so choose. As a result, the Glyph of Indeterminable Reward will have its level reduced to 51 and all the Alaran Knowledge requirements will be removed. Anyone who wants the ability to slow down their leveling can remove excess experience through use of this glyph.

Finally, with the reduction in procs to the Headshot, Assassinate, and Decapitate abilities, we felt comfortable making these abilities more relevant to current EverQuest. As such, these abilities at their maximum AA will now work on mobs up to a player’s current level -1. For example, a level 100 Rogue with maxed out Assassinate will be able to assassinate level 99 mobs.

We’d like to thank all the players who have contributed feedback so far, and hope that you continue to give feedback on our now updated plans.

Regards,

The EverQuest Team
Alan
I'm a Tank!
Punked, Carvas, Harvas, Cayleb

Derdarr
Whee!

Re: Changes with the February Update: Developer Updates

Postby Derdarr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:07 pm

Sounds like they've really worked out a great plan, i'll never uncheck the give me aa's box :) on my alts. Hopefully all the people that don't want them resist the urge on that new alt or old alt that you just never had time to work on.

Caladain
Whee!

Postby Caladain » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:42 pm

I just think it's awesome that they are listening to us and it looks like they are serious about keeping EQ relevant for years to come.

Meso
Whee!

Postby Meso » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:08 am

Another option that was frequently requested was the ability for players to halt all progress in their leveling if they so choose. As a result, the Glyph of Indeterminable Reward will have its level reduced to 51 and all the Alaran Knowledge requirements will be removed. Anyone who wants the ability to slow down their leveling can remove excess experience through use of this glyph.

Why would anyone want to halt leveling? And If I have already purchased this AA (because there was no other available AA to buy) do I get a refund?

Derdarr
Whee!

Postby Derdarr » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:46 am

No refunds from what I know this isnt a reset aa as su h.its more about lowering the need to pl alts to make them useful. As to the need to stop they're is a focal group on the boards that like being low level.

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:02 am

I know of other games where one can stop gaining experience. This gives the character time to complete quests at the appropriate level. Most games have, for example, zones designed for the 10-25 level range -- but there are several such zones, across different continents or worlds. Being able to halt exp. would permit one to, for example, experience the quests in the Asura beginning zones, then move to the Charr equivalent and do those quests as well while still at the level for which they were designed. Perhaps that is what they have in mind?

Tandt
Whee!

Postby Tandt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:55 am

Im not gana say what other game has done this for many many years.
Tandt Dmight
105 Warrior
:rr:
Its not big hair, Its my Helmet!

Boss mobs dont kill people, Clerics kill people!!

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:08 pm

Meso wrote:

Why would anyone want to halt leveling? And If I have already purchased this AA (because there was no other available AA to buy) do I get a refund?

No refunds, period. Thank God.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Phathom, post: 3046377, member: 218 wrote:Furbykiller - We're targeting these changes for the week of February 17 for this year.

Not 2013 (really? and not 2020) :) In approximately two weeks.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:37 pm

I like this change. Nobody likes me. You do the math.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Zantetsuken
Iron Cutting Sword

Postby Zantetsuken » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:48 pm

Hmm how are they going to deal with all the aggro that decap and such put out?
Lightbringer Zantetsuken
"Men in battle, do not need women. My love is my Sword!" - The Almighty Dekar from Lufia II
Axe Master Verige
"The weak only strive to be weaker." - Magus from Chrono Trigger

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Zantetsuken wrote:Hmm how are they going to deal with all the aggro that decap and such put out?

Elidroth, post: 3046453, member: 323 wrote:I will ABSOLUTELY look at the aggro generation of Headshot, Assassinate, and Decapitation along with these changes.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:00 pm

Zantetsuken wrote:Hmm how are they going to deal with all the aggro that decap and such put out?
They're RANGERS! I say, let 'em die!

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:26 pm

Elidroth, post: 3047305, member: 323 wrote:Actually, he wasn't saying the game is in dire straights. Far from it. What Piestro was saying was this:

EQ needs subscribing players in order to stay afloat. This isn't a mystery. No players, no game.

A large portion of the feedback from players who are leaving is the AA grind is too steep for them to remain viable in the game. When people don't feel useful, they leave. So we're reducing this enormous mountain.

CoTF is NOT the last expansion. Smed has promised this several times over the past year and most recently in his AMA on Reddit. We are still making content for EQ. Period.

Elidroth, post: 3047328, member: 323 wrote:No banked AA will be affected. Auto-grant happens at a cost of 0.

reference to making hs/assassinate work on more than just humanoids.

Elidroth, post: 3047429, member: 323 wrote:No, they are not going to be changed. We're actually leaning more towards making Decapitation work only on Humanoid body types to make it more in line with HS and Assassinate. That has yet to be decided upon however.

Elidroth, post: 3047456, member: 323 wrote:Not true. The AA will be granted via a button on the AA window. Check the button, then zone or level, and the AA will be granted.
Last edited by Tarvas on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:26 pm

Meso wrote:Why would anyone want to halt leveling? And If I have already purchased this AA (because there was no other available AA to buy) do I get a refund?

A big reason used to be Vox and Naggy punting you out over a certain level. Or the Project1999-types that pay SOE to play a game they don't actually want to play...

I'm really surprised at their turnaround time on this. I wonder if the EQNext PR and marketing team lit a fire under their asses to be active...

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:41 pm

PrathunSOE, post: 3047712, member: 5349 wrote:As implied by the thread name, these changes would be part of our mid-month February update. I'm not sure if the date is firm enough to announce yet. It will almost certainly not be on President's Day, the 17th, as this is a company-wide holiday, but that week is a safe bet. And for Furbykiller, it'll be 2014, not 2020. :)
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Aristo, post: 3048955, member: 89 wrote:So here are some updated numbers for the incoming changes, as well as answers to some common questions:

Cleric

Increased the proc cap on the Ward of the Divine line of spells from 80 to 120.
Increased the proc cap on the Shining Rampart line of spells from 40 to 72.
Increased the incoming hit cap on the Shining Defense portion of the Shining Rampart spells from 2000 to 3200.

Ranger

Several players asked to increase the target limit on the Hail of Arrows line to 12. This line is already very efficient and reliable damage so we would only consider increasing the target limit if we also reduced the damage or increased the mana cost. Neither change is something we would like to undertake at this time.

Shadowknight

Rather than change the Melee Lifetap effect to work only on direct attacks and not procs, we have instituted either incoming hit caps or successful attack caps on all of these spells that are available to players. These limits are designed to endure as expected under 'normal' tanking circumstances but expire quickly when exposed to more than 4-6 attackers.
Leechcurse Discipline will now fade after 350 incoming hits.
Epic effects (Reaper Strike and Lich Sting) now fade after their owners deal 800 melee hits.
Leeching Embrace (a breastplate effect) now fades after its owner deals 180 melee hits.
Leeching Touch (another breastplate effect) now faades after its owner deals 360 melee hits.
Mortal Coil now has a hit limit of 1320 incoming hits and will trigger Mortal Residue more often (currently 8 percent; needs further testing). Extended Mortal Residue's duration to 28 ticks to prevent chaining once it has landed.

Druid

Increased the proc cap on the Skin of the Reptile line (again) from 40 to 72.

Shaman

Increased the proc cap on the Lingering Sloth line from 160 to 240 procs.

Wizard

We decided to keep the present drawbacks on Wizard beams/funnels because they are still instant-cast spells and more damaging than Magician beams.

Alan
I'm a Tank!

Sevex
Whee!

Postby Sevex » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:57 pm

I guess I have to burn veteran slots and start my alts over again... That or quit...
This is BS that I cannot reset my toon AAs to zero. I want my low AA bonus back on all my alts.

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:49 am

Sevex wrote:I guess I have to burn veteran slots and start my alts over again... That or quit...
This is BS that I cannot reset my toon AAs to zero. I want my low AA bonus back on all my alts.

I am not sure why you would either start your alts all over again or quit over this. You do not have to take the AA grants if you want to be selective on which AAs to get. You will still continue to get your AA bonus. I don't really see the problem.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Sevex
Whee!

Postby Sevex » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Definitely an over-reaction on my part, but it ticks me off that my druid and many other alts are hitting 4k AAs in the 85 to 95 range. I could have twice that many AAs had I known this was coming...

I purposely left probably 8-10 alts in the 85 to 95 range just so they could AA in different spots. And I wasn't particularly selective about their AAs. Colossal waste of time...

Derdarr
Whee!

Postby Derdarr » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:33 pm

You didn't enjoy playing them? A waste of time would be if what you'd done wasn't enjoyable, I don't think I'd log in and play if I wasn't enjoying the time I was at the keyboard. That is one of the reason's they're doing the auto grant, so you don't have to either p'l or be really good about potions, ds's and knowing exactly where to level to get a character to a respectable playing ability, without taking months of time. Yes calculate how much a "normal player" can aa and exp in a reasonable time per day and then get that character to a decent enough level that you might invite them to your group. Not everyone has the time to play and adding in a new alt to level up, or in my case have the time to really push my alts. I play my main 85 to 90 percent of the time and some of that is because I hit a wall, if I swap to aa's they seem slow and if I don't have any they're usefulness compared to someone else's main makes me shy away from even asking to group with guildies. As I know someone else or a merc is more dps, healing .. etc.

And I've seen that comment or a form of it in many of the forum posts. I'd have twice the aa if I'd known this was coming. So, you actually don't mind that they're doing it? And only don't like it because you didn't get to plan for it? I also didn't know when or if it would even come about but I did know it was possible but I never worried about planning aa around it. You can only save 30 at low levels anyway not like you could stock them up. And even if you could why would you not want to be advancing your character as much as you can as soon as you could.

It's been talked about for at least two years, and along with the leadership aa's for about a yearish I believe. It is more aa then I thought they'd go for, originally he hinted at a 2 k ish aa boost to help new players. It still leaves a large bunch of aa to gain, and for many of our mains playing now I wouldn't be surprised if those that have been spending wisely, healers working only heal aa's when possible, dps doing only dps gaining abilitys' will see a nice boost if they check the box. You have to remember we have raiding mains that are just dinging 5 k aa's, many of your guild members only get to play a few hours a week and many of those hours are raiding. Even I don't play the 4 and 5 hour sessions anymore, I just don't have the time.

Caladain
Whee!

Postby Caladain » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:34 pm

Not at all. The mass AA grant can be turned down. There will be a button to say no to it. You can still go the normal route, with the AA bonus.

Sevex
Whee!

Postby Sevex » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:40 am

Did I enjoy playing those alts like stargate, rezin, etc? No. Those alts were made to serve a purpose of porting, buffing, scouting, PLing, etc. I don't want to spend much time on them. Had I known what was coming, I could have maximized my gains. Oh well...

All my alts are leveled via a system I have and later using Sorox unless on same account and then it is my mage Fyras. Had I known this was coming, I would not have AA'd many of my alts. I would have leveled them to 100, then used the low AA bonus to selective buy HoT+ AAs, then taken the grant. THEN I would play the alt in my box team as a contributing member or let them serve whatever their purpose is.

What I really disliked is the developers asking for feedback and pushing this live in under 3 weeks. That seems incredibly rushed. And there are many alternatives to the grant. I would have increased the low AA bonus to 10x through 5000 AAs then begin tapering it off.

Derdarr
Whee!

Postby Derdarr » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:11 am

Well, they did ask for feedback and have included a toggle. The biggest feedback was from mostly new accounts made to say don't do it and posting dozens of times on the thread. The main feedback they used to come up with the idea for even doing it was first a poll awhile back that they say came out in favor of "some" kind of aa grant to low level characters. I guess I still don't get the outrage some , and I'm not saying from you sev, about new players or even old timers like me that do look at the aa grind as being daunting with the time involved that it takes, taking away from there accomplishments by doing the autogrant. Increasing the bonus actually would be less of a boost, if you toggle off and want to push the envelope aa and such in your normal ways and ignoring as many of the autogrant aa's as you can. You will now be able to rush to 4k then hit the toggle and get a instant boost. You can still do that with your alts you won't get as big of an advantage but I'm sure you've ignored some of the lower aa's. And when I say rush to 4 k, remember my earlier statement, we have lots of members who are just now in the 4 5 k range of aa's on there mains. A normal day for me on an alt is about 5 aa's if I get on and really push, hmm that's what 200 nights of playing and that's without reg exp turned on. And I generally only do that maybe once a week and sometimes on a weekend. Spread that over my 8 or 10 alts that I regularly work on, i'll have 4 k aa's on them about never :)

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:20 am

I choose to look at the AA grant from the angle of just how absurd the AA grind is right now. I did a very quick calculation when I had hit the low 90s, figuring if I really cranked at it I might get 12 AA an hour - and I think at the time I was calculating with LOTD and/or XP potions, and at whatever bonus AAXP you get around 1000AA

That's 5 minutes/AA, or to gain 5K AA at that rate, 416 hours.

The funny thing is, as shocking as that number is to me to consider as part of planning, I bet I spent that much time in the POTactics pit grinding out a hundred or two hundred AA during POP.

Yeah, some people didn't get to minmax this for maximum benefit, but that's not just looking a gift horse in the mouth, that's punching it in the jaw out of spite. I don't see a substantial actual negative effect for people here - if it would actually negatively impact you in some way, it is completely opt in, so you don't need to partake.

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:12 pm

None of this rushed. They had the poll from two years ago where players approved the entire concept and then they had the exit surveys done by players quitting. When they finally got to a place to release this live they opened the system up for feedback. There was never any doubt in their minds that the grant was coming out. Minor and easily solvable details were really all that remained till design lock. The toggle for instance and the not granting salvage and spell casting sub.
Alan
I'm a Tank!

Derdarr
Whee!

Postby Derdarr » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:16 pm

P.s. rather than edit my posts, I would like to also say Everyone can have there own opinion if it doesn't match mine that is entirely fine I do worry that I come off critical at times. I guess some of it is from following the now something like 130 pages of posts on the subject. Maybe I should ignore the boards but it bugs me the most when some of the main reason's come off BLAMING the devs or soe for trying to make money even if it is designed to get people to spend money.. what the hell is a business for. I got peeved the other day at work because I was almost home and had to run back up to get another item to go with my morning run. Why was I peeved, I had to spend a hour of my time and about 7 dollars in gas for a pickup that we could only charge 18 dollars for, did we still "make money" on it, ya a little if you don't count my time. What then made me upset at myself was when the customer thanked me for making the late run up to get the pickup, I'd been a 100 feet away from his lab 45 min's earlier he didn't know that though and had no way to have known. It's all a balance trying to serve customers and still make money, cause without either of those.. their isn't a business anymore.

Sevex
Whee!

Postby Sevex » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:53 pm

I'd rather accelerate the low AA bonus but not give away AAs. If you want people to catch up in 200 hours of game play, then adjust the bonus to accommodate.

At least they have to play 200 hours as a gold account. People are going to take the claim and go back to FTP or silver. I don't see this option encouraging silver/ftp customers to continue as gold members. Sony gets money for one month with this scheme. If you want money, flow those AAs to gold members over time at accelerated rates to get more money...

The only feedback that altered the grant plan was which AA lines to omit, but not whether the grant was the right thing to do or something else was better.

Derdarr
Whee!

Postby Derdarr » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:58 pm

The toggle was from feedback, the original plan did NOT include it, you can side with the conspiracy crowd that believes it was already planned but left out to give them something to "placate" them with. You'll still have to play to get them, you can only earn aa and obtain the granted aa's when you obtain the correct level to do so. For whatever way you do it pushing up the curve or granting them it's still accomplishing the same thing. Making it easier to get farther in the game. And assuming the next expansion will have to include a level increase to make it possible to increase power without it being bleh, and with the "hint" that they're are more aa's coming for Cotf anything will help. In the purely psychological realm I would believe knowing that when I hit 51 if I want to check the box I can obtain 500 aa's would be easily ahead of when I hit 51 I can swap to aa' exp and gain them much faster than I could before but I also have to stall my leveling. And to my 200 hours that was a pure guess but you do realize for many people 200 hours of play time is a lot of time?

Sevex
Whee!

Postby Sevex » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:47 pm

It is only my opinion, but this change will actually do little to nothing to increase membership in the long run. I do not have an alternative suggestion. It is what it is...