To buy or not to buy?

Moderator: Littlabit

Glauri
Whee!

To buy or not to buy?

Postby Glauri » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:51 pm

So, you folks that actually know something about this...

Should I treat myself to a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1? I've never had a tablet, so I'm not certain what to look for in a good one. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
Glauri

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Re: To buy or not to buy?

Postby Rendus » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:14 am

That particular tablet's getting a bit old, at this point. For the price, it should be /much/ better, spec-wise. 1280x800 on that large of a screen is well behind the times, with even B&N's Nook HD+ 10 inch tablet being 1920x1080 and $150. The only standout feature of it is the stylus - if you're in the market for a tablet with a stylus, that's certainly one of the few out there.

If the stylus is the big selling point, you may want to take a look at EVGA's new tablet, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834099001 - $199, 7 inch screen, same resolution as the Note 10.1", with reviews saying its pen input is (possibly) the best they've worked with. Half the price, at $200.

If you want a larger display tablet, I'd probably recommend a Kindle Fire 8.9" - Either the HD or HDX, depending on your budget. The specs on even the HD are much better. Biggest downside to the Kindle tablets is Amazon puts their own modified version of Android on them, and the UI is built around Amazon's services. Other apps will run just fine, but you'll need to work around things to get the Google Play Store (app store) running on it, etc. Still, price to performance is really good here.

If you'd be OK with a 7 inch tablet, the Google Nexus 7 (2013's model) is great. I own one, and bought it both due to the specs/benchmark results at the time, and to make sure it was going to receive at least a couple Android version updates. It doesn't matter TOO much if something's stuck at 4.1 or 4.2 compared to 4.4 (the latest Android release), but buying a device that never gets OS updates bugs me.

And after writing almost all of this up, I took a look around online - there's a new Galaxy Note 10.1 that you might've been looking at - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834131622 . Much, much better specs, and barely more expensive than the model you linked to.

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:42 am

That new 2014 Galaxy model is the one I was reading about. I linked the wrong one.

I'm not really sure just what I'd do with the tablet if I bought it. The HDX with 64Gb storage and 2Gb RAM is a bit less expensive than the Galaxy with 16Gb storage and 3Gb RAM. But the Galaxy also has a larger screen and a microSD slot, and I don't see where the HDX has one. I suppose that I'd use this much the same as I would a laptop, and I'm not sure that I'd be happy with a small display. I don't use a cell phone, so its 4G capabilities would be lost on me.
Glauri

Littlabit
Meanie

Postby Littlabit » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Love my kindle fire and it does everything!
Littlabit D'might 105 Cleric
GL of Celestial Navigators (Mushroom follower)
"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"

Tarvas
Whee!

Postby Tarvas » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:22 pm

I love all my nooks because not only do they do just about everything, but they can read digital books in just about every format out there :D
Alan
I'm a Tank!
Punked, Carvas, Harvas, Cayleb

Mattmarr
Whee!

Postby Mattmarr » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:17 am

I think tablets are still very gimmicky at the moment. I'd rather have a laptop any day. As for reading, I use a Kindle Paperwhite.

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:30 am

I have an old, original Kindle and while it's great for taking on trips and vacations where space/weight are at a premium, I just seem to prefer reading actual books. I have one audio book, and I have found that to be quite enjoyable but books in that format are very expensive and I simply cannot support an aural reading habit at those prices anyway. The Paperwhite looks great, but I'd want something that could do more than just serve as a book replacement. And I do have an older laptop but it refuses to communicate with my network so it's rather useless.

It would be nice to have something to quickly look up something on the net, dash off a short email, catch up on the news, maybe keep a journal, play some games, and stuff -- although I'm not altogether sure just what that 'stuff' might be.
Glauri

Aroth
Whee!

Postby Aroth » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:51 pm

I like the windows 8.1 (comes with office) ASUS T100 tablets that also come with a detachable keyboard.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/ASUS-Transformer-Book-T100TA-C1-GR-Touchscreen-2-in-1/productID.288728700

PS. this was on sale recently for $299
Aroth VoteYes

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:22 pm

Really app? I've heard mixed reviews about Windows 8. Have you actually used it? Not a bad tablet though, for sure.
Glauri

Aroth
Whee!

Postby Aroth » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Yes, I have windows 8 on a PC at work. There definitely is a learning curve, even for those that have always used windows.
Aroth VoteYes

Henorm
Whee!

Postby Henorm » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:42 pm

I have an old Nook Color that I use all the time. Have about 30 full length movies as well as about 75 albums (not to mention those are mostly on a 32 gig micro card. It's only android 1.4 i think but I've rooted it for android jellybean.
Gnomes not just for punting anymore.

Glauri
Whee!

Postby Glauri » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Oh...I see that I can stream my Plex media to the Galaxy tablet. That's a real plus for me, since that is one of the things that I currently use my Roku devices to do. I am pretty pleased with Win7, and not really up to jumping to something as different as Win8 right now. I still am tempted by that Kindle HDX though. However, I'm not smart like Rendus and getting anything to work around Amazon's version of an OS would likely be more than I can manage. Still trying to figure out which to get. So many options!
Glauri