Vidya Games and charity for the nerds!

Moderator: Littlabit

Lhimy
Whee!

Vidya Games and charity for the nerds!

Postby Lhimy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:54 am

Just thought I'd share this site I've been a patron of for the last year or so when it was first recommended to me.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Really awesome format that has really taken off this year.

Every couple weeks they start up a new sale with a different partner from the industry. The company offers up a selection of games for the site to sell and there are usually 2 bundles. First few games you get for any donation, even a few pennies, that usually consist of few year old games and then if you donate more than the average you get a handful more games that are often fairly recent triple-A titles. Right now (and noticing for not even the next day so get on it!) you'd get Dead Island, Metro 2033 and Saints Row 3 for a donation of 5.25 or more. And that average is usually around $5, has hit 7ish for real nice sales and been a few bucks on some weak stuff. They'll list the charities they're going to as well (seems to be the same handful of revolving well known ones) and you can even customize how much of what you donate goes to charity, the game companies and tip a bit to the site)

Everything on the current one is all on Steam but more often than not they have non-drm stuff that you can download directly (and usually will also give you steam keys on top of it if you want.)

They do lots of cool themed stuff, usually from different developers but they'll also do indie sales with cool smaller indie games and even the occasional android app bundle and such.

On top of the regular bundle deals they do a weekly sale that changes out at the end of the week. Usually not as much great stuff but fun to keep an eye on because their big bundles usually go up for ~2 weeks then they're down for a week with nothing before the next thing goes up. (just check out the 'weekly sale' tab at the top)

I've picked up probably a 100+ games in the last year off them, though I doubt i've even gotten around to playing 5 of them lol but it's nice and when I hit the lottery and have all day to sit around and get fat and play games I'll have them waiting! (and between this and the steam seasonal sales I've got way more than I could ever play in 5 life times lol)

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Re: Vidya Games and charity for the nerds!

Postby Goofydoofy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:15 am

This looks like. I may have to keep an eye on this now. I have a closet with about 15 games I have recently purchased I'll probably never get around to playing. And my Steam account has 4-5. As long as I have Everquest, I'll never have time to play anything else. But, I also liked having a nice library of stuff I like. Such as books, music, movies and computer games. May as well give them some money and get my collection up.

Thanks
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:33 am

I just bought everything. That is a hell of a deal. Especially since part of that can be a tax right off.

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:52 am

Wholly shit, I love the website, too. Not a bunch of flashy crap and integrated 3rd party plug-in shit. Just a straight forward site that gives you all the information in a great layout. I need to quit my job now so I can just play games.

Lhimy
Whee!

Postby Lhimy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Put up a new bundle already today, usually takes like a week or two between them so definitely a plus. Another real nice one with some great titles, though kinda annoying that these are Origin games which is Electronic Arts version of Steam. Steam already enough bloatware, annoying to have to get another one going. Some titles they have steam keys for though so not all bad. At least origin isn't as clunky and horrifyingly unintuitive like Steam (though it seems to be sort of down atm from the over-load from this sale heh)

Goofydoofy

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:08 am

I like Steam for as little as I've used it. I have a pretty high end system these days, though. So, that may help.

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Postby Rendus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:12 am

Both Origin and Steam's 'bloat' is minimal - I have 235 games in Steam, and it's currently using 75MB of RAM, compared to Origin at 90 with 9 games. Neither are a noteworthy burden on any modern PC - compare this to Firefox with 8 tabs open at 500MB.

Admittedly I've been using Steam since it was released, but I find it more intuitive to navigate than Origin. I still have no idea how to buy the Arkham City DLC on Origin, for example. I wound up buying the GOTY version on Steam when it was on sale for stupidly cheap instead, so not the end of the world.

Either way... They're six of one, half a dozen of another. For $5ish for those games, Origin is worth the minor annoyance, in my opinion.

Lhimy
Whee!

Postby Lhimy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:55 am

guess i used bloat wrong, not in as much as it's a system hog cause that's not really possible these days outside of running like 2+ graphic intense games heh but it's always annoying if you have to have one program open to open another.
And they've been saying for years they're working on the UI but it's still the same clunky unintuitive garbage that is best described as a minor step up from the TEN network of the mid 90s heh. The full screen they put in is nice looking and smooth running but even cuts out and you lose what little option there is for organizing.
Guess it's an OCD thing and coming from a design background I can't stomach bad UIs that dont allow for me to neatly organize stuff lol.