PC problems

Moderator: Littlabit

Ayragon
Whee!

PC problems

Postby Ayragon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:55 am

Just got in yesterday from few weeks vacation. Noticed my main PC was powered off ( was in standby mode when I left for sure ). Fired it up, no problems....started, went for a drink, come back, Poof powered off again. Now seems won't start all the way up for more than 30 secs to 1 min.

There was a major storm in the area while I was gone, and this PC is not overly surge protected ; its possible something ate some extra charge.

Question is, before I start digging in too far. Anybody have some thoughts of where to start. Was going to look at PSU, then VPU. Then I think its big $$

Tandt
Whee!

Re: PC problems

Postby Tandt » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:18 am

Unplug everything internally from the motherboard (SATA and IDE cables). Then only plug in the Power to the motherboard and the Video card (if it requires power). Turn it on, if it stays powered on, then plug in 1 component at a time (Be sure to power it off when plugging in components) and keep turning on. If it has the same issue with just the motherboard only, ide get a new power supply and test it again. Keep testing till you figure out what component is causing it to turn off.

Also go into you BIOS and look at PC Health, Monitor the voltages and the temperature of your processor. At idle on a cold boot your CPU should not be over 50 deg. Celsius.
Tandt Dmight
105 Warrior
:rr:
Its not big hair, Its my Helmet!

Boss mobs dont kill people, Clerics kill people!!

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:57 am

Depending on how much stuff you have that requires power, you may consider a 800W or higher supply. I use 1200 myself. Don't need 1200, but I got plenty of power.
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server

Ayragon
Whee!

Postby Ayragon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:02 pm

was an easy fix.... my goddam kids cat had a hairball the size of Tarvas on the case fan (inside). needless to say that cat is not making level 10. RIP you little bugger......

(well I put my kids gate up anyway....cat still lives, much to my chagrin,)

Goofydoofy
Ride a cowboy, save a horse

Postby Goofydoofy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:08 am

Get some balls and kill the thing!
Level 105 Druid, Level 105 Enchanter, Level 105 Paladin
Drinal - Maelin Starpyre Server