HEPL!

Moderator: Littlabit

Ryanakris
100% Pure luv

HEPL!

Postby Ryanakris » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:56 am

The day of the patch, I of course locked up, crashed repeatedly and just plain couldn't get on half the time. Since then, I can't defrag one of the partitions on my hard drive. First it told me that chkdsk need to run on C: and D: so I rebooted and it ran on C:, tried a defrag (I use Diskeeper) and it defragged C: but said chkdsk still needed to run on D: so rebooted again and chkdsk ran on D: but every time I try to defrag it says the same thing :( . Now evey time I start my computer, chkdsk runs on D: (never finds any problems) and I still can't defrag. I've tried running chkdsk manually from Windows, have rebooted so many times I'm weary of watching it, turned the computer on and off repeatedly and nothing works. It never finds anything wrong but will not get out of this loop...sigh. Any suggestions? Oh am running Windows XP Home.
Last edited by Ryanakris on Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryana

Silly
The blond sage

Postby Silly » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:43 pm

Oh Tunare Ryan, this sounds like a problem I'd have. In which case I'd keep trying every random thing that I know a computer can do whether it helps fix it or not. Then, if I can't find a solution after a days worth of cursing at the hunk of metal dinosaur I call a computer, I PM Jhereg with my exasperation and he usually gives productive suggestions. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he'd already PM'd you with possible solutions :p

Is chkdsk like scandisk? I had a problem not too long ago where scandisk would not complete, just keep restarting itself over and over and over....so I tried to defrag and of course it said there were errors and to use scandisk. So then when I'd try that, it would of course continually just run around in circles yet again. I ended up doing an entire system scan instead of just the C Drive, which must have done something because it (finally) completed. Then I defragged. Then I used my neat Spybot S&D and Adaware toys and virus checks too.

I really don't know much other than those things tend to fix bad things and that if I don't do them semi-regularly, my comp runs even crappier than normal (which is pretty crappy).

Oh another thing I do regularly is check for updated drivers and dxdiag. I really don't know much about that at all except that it has fixed problems I've had before also. I doubt that has anything to do with the problem you're facing, though.

You gotta love the silly process of "trial and error until something works" even though I have no clue what I'm doing most of the time :(

Akgriz
Scout

Postby Akgriz » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:28 pm

nice double post Silly!!!
heh and Ryana,, how many times have I told you the shotgun is downstairs next to the front door, loaded with PC killing slugs!!!!
Akgriz
Scout of Celestial Navigators

Ryanakris
100% Pure luv

Postby Ryanakris » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:56 pm

The window is closer, the two story drop should be sufficient!
Ryana

Jhereg
Whee!

Postby Jhereg » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:29 pm

You might want to try your D drive in another computer to defrag there. Also are you anywhere near full on that drive or your C drive? If your under 500 megs free on the C drive it might be sucked up by virtual memory when it tries a large operation(not sure of your settings) and if really really low on space on D it might not have space to move things around.

Ryanakris
100% Pure luv

Postby Ryanakris » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:53 pm

As it's all one drive really, I'm careful with the partitioning...D: is actually virtually empty, I just store my work there so it's mostly very small data files. That's what bothers me is it's my work drive. I keep my work files on a jump drive and write them to CD's too so not really worried about that.

XP isn't DOS based, so it's hard to do a DOS diagnosis other than CHKDSK. I made a boot disk but it only recognizes A: (where it's loaded) and will not pick up on the other drives. I tried my MS-DOS.exe (it has a .pif ext for some reason) but it wouldn't let me in anyway saying the file is corrupt...the window is REALLY close and looking better all the time hehe!

Anyway, cranking up Ak's comp to see if he can get into this drive! Thanks Jhereg )
Ryana

Ryanakris
100% Pure luv

Postby Ryanakris » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:59 pm

No luck Jhereg, thanks for the suggestion though :D
Ryana

Ryanakris
100% Pure luv

Postby Ryanakris » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:02 pm

In an ongoing effort to fix this problem, I went and got Norton's System Works the other day. I ran all the fix-it utilities from the disk hoping that it would find the problem. Win Doc says that drive D: is reading as drive C: and supposedly fixed it, but D: still runs a chkdsk every time the computer starts and still can't be defragmented. I made the mistake of installing GoBack which on Saturday put my computer in an endless loop before booting, which caused my computer not to start until I finally found a way to take it out in DOS which was late Sunday.

In spite of all the fix it utilities, it still has the original problem so would be glad to hear any other ideas (besides reformatting) anyone may have on what could be causing this! :(
Ryana