Perpetual Guest

Moderator: Littlabit

Rendus
Nekoconeko

Perpetual Guest

Postby Rendus » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:05 am

Ever wonder who that nearly perpetual guest is in the Members Online listing? I finally got around to figuring that out.

Take a look at the attachment, here... Google loves the HELL out of us. They're responsible for 9012 of 10471 pageviews for the first half of Feburary.

I've restricted Google's access to the site, but.. Sheesh. Google loves CN. Now if only I could get them to list this site in the first page of results. Whee.

This bit of randomness sponsored by Ren's boredom at work, and the letter Q.

Bolwyn
His Own Special Title

Postby Bolwyn » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:15 am

YAY Q! I love q...

Thoraz
Whee!

Postby Thoraz » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:45 am

Ren, I could actually use Google's perpetual view. Drop me a note at thomas@mountainmobile.com on how I can hook them. ;)
Thoraz - Ancient One from the frozen North

Galarina
Recruiting

Postby Galarina » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:11 am

My husband and I ran a couple own web businesses for a few years. We learned how the major search engine robots continually prowl the WWW following links from one site to another. They gather info on content -- largely from meta tags and stuff -- and compile ratings based on how many sites link to your site, number of visits, and other factors. Like if somebody went to Google.com and typed in "Celestial Navigators" and then clicked on our site, it encourages robot visits and gives our site rating points, possible moving our site up on the list.

High rankings on search engines are highly desirable by sites wanting traffic, and undesirable by sites wanting to limit bandwidth usage. Some ways of limiting the robot crawls on your site are proper use of meta tags in web pages and by putting a custom robot.txt file in choice server folders. We had a webserver that was co-located at a local ISP business. We paid for our bandwidth dearly and we used to hate how much of that the robots ate up.

But some want more robot visits to encourage traffic. An entire industry has sprang up on (supposedly) helping sites attain higher search rankings. Some work, some just take your money. Research is needed and info is available and overwhelming. The surest way to increase rankings is to 1) work those keyword and content metatags, and 2)get more sites to link to yours any way you can. If you host multiple sites, have each of your sites link to each other, etc.

Well, this isn't the place for this. Plus I gotta run. Just throwing out some of my very limited basic knowledge of search robots.
<br><table border=1><tr><td><center>~ <a href=http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=661115>Galarina Justmight </a>~<br>Celestial Navigators</td></tr></table>